onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Is Mourinho a hypocrite?

For Us All

Without doubt an excellant manager.

I agree with Santa and JA, you can't take what he says in interviews on face value.

Saying all week Chelsea had no chance and that a weakened team would be played took all the pressure off his team in a must win game at the home of a team who'd won 11(think) games on the spin.

The title will probably go to Liverpool or Man City. Chelsea have done the double over both this season.

Advert

Plenty of others have gone to "major clubs etc" and not won what he has won. He still has to buy the right players and get them working together successfully and better than rival managers at other clubs.

Certainly at Inter his achievement in winning the CL (part of a treble I think) was remarkable so that's two remarkable CL wins

Yes no doubt he is an excellent manager and gets results (most of the time) but tactical genius I'm not so convinced. His methods appear more based on organization and discipline rather than a creative tactical ploy/different way of playing. I remember seeing Essien play for Ghana and he was immense, truly outstanding whereas when playing for Chelski under Mourhino he mainly just shuttled up and down the right wing seemingly under orders.

Yes no doubt he is an excellent manager and gets results (most of the time) but tactical genius I'm not so convinced. His methods appear more based on organization and discipline rather than a creative tactical ploy/different way of playing. I remember seeing Essien play for Ghana and he was immense, truly outstanding whereas when playing for Chelski under Mourhino he mainly just shuttled up and down the right wing seemingly under orders.

Admittedly rarely can you say he picked an attacking line up and/or used attacking tactics to win a match against top opposition..but he manages to win via the tactics he uses...to beat teasm with better players. If he can get past the two Madrid teams to win the CL..that will have been outstanding and will be very much down to him

Without doubt an excellant manager.

I agree with Santa and JA, you can't take what he says in interviews on face value.

Saying all week Chelsea had no chance and that a weakened team would be played took all the pressure off his team in a must win game at the home of a team who'd won 11(think) games on the spin.

The title will probably go to Liverpool or Man City. Chelsea have done the double over both this season.

Beating those two high-flyers means nothing if you lose against Sunderland,Aston Villa and Palace.

Mourhino tactical genius......mmmmmmmm. Starting a game with 6 defenders on the pitch in which he needs to beat the opposition by one goal is not a tactical genius. The tie was lost in Madrid again where his approach was too defensive and negative. Against Liverpool he got lucky.

David Luis is a midfield player?, he kicks the ball not passes it, tactical ineptitude right there.

Admittedly rarely can you say he picked an attacking line up and/or used attacking tactics to win a match against top opposition..but he manages to win via the tactics he uses...to beat teasm with better players. If he can get past the two Madrid teams to win the CL..that will have been outstanding and will be very much down to him

But if he can't get past the first Madrid team, which was probably assembled at much less cost than his team, where does that leave him.

Commentator said he'd won two of the eight CL semi-finals he's been in, if correct not the hallmark of a tactical genius, he's no Brian Clough or Alf Ramsey.

He got it badly wrong last night...shockingly so in fact

But if he can't get past the first Madrid team, which was probably assembled at much less cost than his team, where does that leave him.

This Chelsea team is not his team so the cost is irrelevant..someone else spent the money on Torres, Ba, Luiz etc

Commentator said he'd won two of the eight CL semi-finals he's been in, if correct not the hallmark of a tactical genius, he's no Brian Clough or Alf Ramsey.

Depends who he is losing against in the semi finals.

I have huge admiration of Clough but things were very different then...his tactic with Forest was give the ball to Robertson for him to cross it and set up a goal!! And as for Ramsey..let's face it in the WC he got lucky...he had several world class players in his team and a Russian lnesman on his side ;)

Mourhino tactical genius......mmmmmmmm. Starting a game with 6 defenders on the pitch in which he needs to beat the opposition by one goal is not a tactical genius. The tie was lost in Madrid again where his approach was too defensive and negative. Against Liverpool he got lucky.

David Luis is a midfield player?, he kicks the ball not passes it, tactical ineptitude right there.

Have to agree that his line up last night was shocking. Terry and Hazard both returning from injury and for me still unfit, two left backs, Luiz, no Ba who is on a decent run.....and to see them playing like headless chickens for the last 15 mins or so was rather amusing

I have huge admiration of Clough but things were very different then...his tactic with Forest was give the ball to Robertson for him to cross it and set up a goal!!

There was much, much more to Brian Clough's team than John Robertson, he took ordinary players and converted them into excellent players, Kenny Burns, Tony Woodcock, John McGovern, Frank Clarke, John O'Hare etc etc etc. Don't forget he took Derby to a European Cup semi-final as well.

As an aside watching John Robertson at close quarters was incredible, no real "running speed" but the speed of his mind, feet, body, feint and ability to shift the ball from one foot to another were as quick as I've ever seen.

And as for Ramsey..let's face it in the WC he got lucky...he had several world class players in his team and a Russian lnesman on his side ;)

Alf Ramsey introduced into the WC winning England team the tactic of "wing-less wonders" which played a huge role in the win. He also won the league with Ipswich, an unfashionable team then and now. Now that's tactical genius.

I luuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrv that Russian Linesman!!!

There was much, much more to Brian Clough's team than John Robertson, he took ordinary players and converted them into excellent players, Kenny Burns, Tony Woodcock, John McGovern, Frank Clarke, John O'Hare etc etc etc. Don't forget he took Derby to a European Cup semi-final as well.

I know..I was being tongue in cheek but forgot the smiley

As an aside watching John Robertson at close quarters was incredible, no real "running speed" but the speed of his mind, feet, body, feint and ability to shift the ball from one foot to another were as quick as I've ever seen.

True give him a yard and he whipped in a cross and seemingly always into a dangerous area..rarely it seems overhit or blocked by the first defender

Alf Ramsey introduced into the WC winning England team the tactic of "wing-less wonders" which played a huge role in the win. He also won the league with Ipswich, an unfashionable team then and now. Now that's tactical genius.

But it was a Russian lineo what won it!! :)

I luuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrv that Russian Linesman!!!

If you're that enamoured he has his own website http://www.therussianlinesman.com/

Archived