onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Up Hanley Duck?

For Us All

Advert

20 years ago it used to be Student night on a Monday in Valentino's, Valentino's or The Place on a Thursday, 'Castle on a Friday and then Hanley again on a Saturday - I had some brilliant nights out up Hanley duck

These days its a **** hole and rough as, I ventured up there for the last time about 18 months ago - never again

20 years ago it used to be Student night on a Monday in Valentino's, Valentino's or The Place on a Thursday, 'Castle on a Friday and then Hanley again on a Saturday - I had some brilliant nights out up Hanley duck

These days its a **** hole and rough as, I ventured up there for the last time about 18 months ago - never again

Some great places back then remember there was a book in the eighties written by teddy salad called a poseurs guide to the potteries it detailed the best places to drink.

Mondays were great as were Saturdays. There are too few pubs in Hanley for too many folk. Pity really. The ideaa of converting empty shops in burslem to pubs and creating a bar street was a good one.

Sums my thoughts up too. Used to love the Place on a Monday and Maxims on a Friday. When I managed at the Place in the late 90s I thought I had made it! :)

I look around it now and I hardly recognise the town.

A lot of it is a society problem which needs to be addressed but it's a shame as while the city is struggling image wise there are some salt of the earth people out there who need a pick me up. Regeneration on a massive scale and rooting the bad people out of society is the way forward, very simplistic and a little like the old say I thought I'd never say 'in my day' but we need to start somewhere.

Hanley and many city-centres have gone downbank since 24-hour drinking was introduced and have become no-go areas at the weekend.In my opinion,it has been an unmitigated disaster and has led to a multitude of problems,principally anti-social behaviour,including fighting,rowdiness,vomiting and urinating.Many people now get 'loaded' at home on cheap booze before hitting the town at midnight,where they can then continue drinking into the early hours in a multitude of clubs and bars which have all gained late licences.

Hanley's hey day for night life was in the 70's due to The Place and Maxims, The Place was brilliant, well run and hardly eve saw any trouble. It was the only nightclub I've ever been to where you had to queue to get in after 9 30pm on a Monday night. Hardly used to go for a drink in Hanley before going to The Place though, the few times we did it was usually fight time in The Roman Candle.

The Placemate/Sammi Belles in Newcastle and the Cheshire Cat in Nantwich were also brill.

Spent 3 years in Manchester in the 70's and the nightclubs weren't a patch on any of the above, although Pips was good.

Hanley's hey day for night life was in the 70's due to The Place and Maxims, The Place was brilliant, well run and hardly eve saw any trouble. It was the only nightclub I've ever been to where you had to queue to get in after 9 30pm on a Monday night. Hardly used to go for a drink in Hanley before going to The Place though, the few times we did it was usually fight time in The Roman Candle.

The Placemate/Sammi Belles in Newcastle and the Cheshire Cat in Nantwich were also brill.

Spent 3 years in Manchester in the 70's and the nightclubs weren't a patch on any of the above, although Pips was good.

Did you ever go to the Top Rank,Heavy Steam Machine and Penny Farthing clubs in Hanley and the Crystal in Newcastle?

Did you ever go to the Top Rank,Heavy Steam Machine and Penny Farthing clubs in Hanley and the Crystal in Newcastle?

Yep, went to the Top Rank (didn't it become Bailey's) and the Crystal a few times, heard about the Heavy Steam Machine and The Penny Farthing but can't remember ever going there. There was a club called Strikes (or Strides?) in Burslem for about a year or so and who can forget the Adultery....the sweatbox (the upstairs disco) was something else.

I was and still am a soul/funk man so preferred the The Place etc to the Top Rank/Crystal.

My thoughts exactly.

Some great places back then remember there was a book in the eighties written by teddy salad called a poseurs guide to the potteries it detailed the best places to drink.

Mondays were great as were Saturdays. There are too few pubs in Hanley for too many folk. Pity really. The ideaa of converting empty shops in burslem to pubs and creating a bar street was a good one.

I used to know the lad who wrote that book. Big Stoke City fan he was, but a good pal.

Maxims and The Place were my old haunts. I am of an age too to remember "grab a grannie night" at the big old pub at the top of Basford Bank (??The Queens) and in my very young days many an hour spent "up Hanley duck" at The Cine Bowl. I was a proper mod then on a fabulous Lambretta scooter and we had many a ding dong with the greasers who frequented the Cafés in town. Seem also to remember strange nights in the Club in Liverpool Road, Stoke, what a dump!

There was pockets of trouble in my youth throughout the Potteries but nothing on the scale that teens and the like get up to nowadays. I no longer reside in the Potteries so don't know Hanley too well from a drinking/social point of view but age has led me to believe that nights out nowadays can result in unwanted behaviour more prolifically than when I was young and daft enough to stay out all hours. I believe that Stoke on Trent in general gets a bad press, whatever is discussed nationally or locally on TV or in papers. It's "north of Watford" so southerners tend to believe what they are spoon fed!

Yep, went to the Top Rank (didn't it become Bailey's) and the Crystal a few times, heard about the Heavy Steam Machine and The Penny Farthing but can't remember ever going there. There was a club called Strikes (or Strides?) in Burslem for about a year or so and who can forget the Adultery....the sweatbox (the upstairs disco) was something else.

I was and still am a soul/funk man so preferred the The Place etc to the Top Rank/Crystal.

The Adultery sounds great!

Never heard of it before - tell me more.

Archived