onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bob Crow dies

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

Union leader Bob Crow dies of heart attack aged 52

Polar opposites politically but I admired his passion and drive and he kept the bosses on their toes which is never a bad thing

I was struggling to put my opinion into words but you've hit the nail on the head - thanks!

Union leader Bob Crow dies of heart attack aged 52

Polar opposites politically but I admired his passion and drive and he kept the bosses on their toes which is never a bad thing

They said on Talksport he was 57?

Your last sentence pretty much sums him up, had dealings with him around 5 years ago and found him exceptionally hard to do anything with unless it was on his terms alone however as you say possibly it was his drive that kept it in his members interests.

RIP.

As Ken Livingston has just elaborated on Bob represented and fought for working people and conditions and was successful in retaining his members working conditions, wages and pensions against the mass trend of cuts for the lowest paid. His members have retained conditions unlike those not in unions under the past few years of austerity, which I think speaks volumes of his negotiating record.

I personally didn’t warm to him as a personality but I thought he was very skilled at negotiating for his members, which was his primary function.

Folk who are in unions and have a strong leader do better out of it and in the media era of union bashing and demonizing the lowest paid (ironically not him) it proves that collective power in a union is the only power many have and how important the seven million people in unions use their democratic, collective influence.

Had dealings with Bob in the Eighties, when under Jimmy Knapp he was a District Organizer, I was the local rep for the NUR, and disagreed with Bobs direction, myself and my members fell out with him big time.

But in today's time when most politicians and Union leaders are boring and faceless, this can not be leveled at Bob, love him or hate him, and most people fit into the latter, you have to admire his commitment to a cause that he believed in. R.I.P.

He was an articulate and dedicated trade union leader and commanded respect for his transport knowledge as well. I used to wait to get angry about his views and actions but in fact he always argued a good case and provided a route to compromise even if his views were different and far more left than me. Society needs a mix of people and views and so his input is quite a big loss.

Archived