onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Popey Defends Himself

old sage

I'm a bit disappointed with Tom's interview.

It comes across poorly, as though the group isn't pulling together, and some players are shrugging their shoulders and saying 'not my fault' when things don't go to plan.

I think a lot of what he says is true. It's obvious the team is set up with the final view to crossing the ball into the lone striker, Pope. JMW rarely crosses the ball, nor does Tomlin. As Pope said they are too busy doing what they want to do with the ball i.e running with it, rather thna putting any decent crosses into the box.

Advert

How is he immune from criticism? You've criticised him, so has Hagrid, and there were threads calling for him to be dropped. Hardly immune.
George you are correct there are those who support him who are criticised and there are those that think they are justified in slagging him off. I think I now know where Hagrid gets his name from 'Hagrid the Horrible' and his vitriol simply oozes from his keyboard and I wont even comment on Eddie's surname.

It must be like a dagger wound to them every time the Pope scores. Go on Popey keep sticking it in em.

It comes across poorly, as though the group isn't pulling together, and some players are shrugging their shoulders and saying 'not my fault' when things don't go to plan.

I think that is exactly what he is insinuating Santa and watching them at times I don't think he is far off the mark either.

George you are correct there are those who support him who are criticised and there are those that think they are justified in slagging him off. I think I now know where Hagrid gets his name from 'Hagrid the Horrible' and his vitriol simply oozes from his keyboard and I wont even comment on Eddie's surname.

It must be like a dagger wound to them every time the Pope scores. Go on Popey keep sticking it in em.

Hagrid the Horrible?

hahahahaha :laugh: You sound about 5.

When you start using alliteration as your means of criticism, you know it's time to pack it in.

Old Sage the Silly. There, I've done one. Balls in your court now.

Hagrid the Horrible?

hahahahaha :laugh: You sound about 5.

When you start using alliteration as your means of criticism, you know it's time to pack it in.

Old Sage the Silly. There, I've done one. Balls in your court now.

I'll get Tom to head it back hopefully tomorrow night;)

I'll get Tom to head it back hopefully tomorrow night;)

Decent response that.

I really want Tom to succeed. I have nothing against him. Having a local born goalscorer was great for the club last year.

This year however, despite his average amount of goals, I just think it's harsh to keep Willo, Hugill and Tomlin out when they could all benefit from extended runs while Tom continues to struggle, whether that be his fault or the teams.

Decent response that.

I really want Tom to succeed. I have nothing against him. Having a local born goalscorer was great for the club last year.

This year however, despite his average amount of goals, I just think it's harsh to keep Willo, Hugill and Tomlin out when they could all benefit from extended runs while Tom continues to struggle, whether that be his fault or the teams.

I understand your comments and would welcome trying to get young Hugill to play alongside Popey but I don't believe Williamson and Tomlin are the answer. Tomlin has rarely done anything to raise the pulse and Ben despite his pace doesn't appear to be a natural finisher.

In Pope's case even when he fails to score he does take two defenders out of the game when the ball is in their area. Additionally he tracks back and is often seen helping out the defence when the need arises. Tomlin and Williamson do neither of these things. Tomlin appears too lightweight and Ben always seems second when it counts.

Tom Pope is one of the main-stays of the current team, he contributes goals, assists, physicality, defends, draws the attention of defenders leaving space for others, holds the ball up, lays the ball off and gives 110% each game, overall excellent player for PVFC.

Haven't seen any of that in recent weeks, unless you mean his outstanding defending against gills and his complete lack of effort in some matches.

I get the argument that the wingers don't cross enough but when pope does have chances he misses them as on Saturday. Also whether it's JMWs fault that crosses aren't going in might not be his fault as he is constantly played on right wing and therefor will cut inside. Surely playing him on the left would generate more crosses. I repeat again that when hugill comes on for 20 mins he seems to get chances and score and I do wonder why pope isn't getting the same chances as him. For me tomorrow I'd go with pope and hugill might not work but they are our two best forwards and I hope that goal on Saturday will get him going again.

Typical to what he's showing on the pitch. He moans whenever a pass dosent make it to him or someone else makes an error, he should do something about it instead of blaming it on others.

We all see different things, we all have our favourites.

Leon was castigated as being 'lazy', only able to score because of Sodge, yet the stats looked different. Rogers was adored by some yet called a 'headless chicken' by others.

In my opinion, for as good as he was, Beckford couldn't control a ball into his feet for toffee, yet he was one of my favourite Vale strikers.

Tom was always going to struggle to match his last seasons efforts, just as Vale themselves would surely struggle with basically the same side as last season in a higher division.

Remember, it wasn't too long ago people on here would have been happy to get rid of most of these players, yet here they are, not only surviving in League one, but holding their own to boot.

I for one will not criticise Tom's effort, neither will I state that he is above being dropped if the need arises. What I will say is that I believe Tom goes out onto that pitch every game with the determination to do his very best for PVFC, just as I am sure each player does.

Some times in Tom's case that means he scores, and some times he doesn't, sometimes he has a good game without scoring, others he plays poorly and scores.

He holds the ball up well and his distribution is as good as anyone's.

In my humble opinion he is an asset who is quite often not given the service or assistance required but who carries on with his job either way.

You may agree or disagree with my sentiments, it doesn't really matter and your point of view is as valid as is mine, however whilst Micky picks him and he pulls on that Vale shirt he will get my full support.

Valiant perhaps Pope moans at team mates when they mess up because he actually cares whether we win or not because he is a fan like us which is why we moan during a game when our players mess up.

Why are you having a go at someone who cares when there was more than one on Saturday who didn't care enough.

Yeah Pope missed a sitter, Lineker used to too, but you would never have seen him throwing himself in front of a shot to stop a certain goal suPport did on Saturday just after missing that sitter.

Pope is spot on we are scoring enough goals, it's conceding them where the problem is.

M

Valiant perhaps Pope moans at team mates when they mess up because he actually cares whether we win or not because he is a fan like us which is why we moan during a game when our players mess up.

Why are you having a go at someone who cares when there was more than one on Saturday who didn't care enough.

Yeah Pope missed a sitter, Lineker used to too, but you would never have seen him throwing himself in front of a shot to stop a certain goal suPport did on Saturday just after missing that sitter.

Pope is spot on we are scoring enough goals, it's conceding them where the problem is.

I agree but in some games this season I don't think his attitude has been right. I do get that it is primarily because he cares but sometimes it isn't right. Anyway I agree after Saturday if much prefer him to play over the majority of those on Saturday who just didnt care. The point I was making with missing the sitter was that people are making out that he's not had any chances to sxore when he has.

Archived