onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Popey Defends Himself

old sage

I am glad that Tom Pope has defended himself with regard to his goalscoring exploits this season in the feature report by Rob.

I sincerely hope that people read it and realise that a striker who's main asset is his aerial power needs a regular supply of quality aerial crosses otherwise his goals ratio will drop as this season has clearly shown.

If he was getting the chances but missing them it would be Pope's fault but as the chances aren't being created surely it is the fault of certain team mates as Tom clearly alludes too.

Advert

Some of the stick he's getting at the moment is bizarre and ridiculous, some nuggets shouting for him to be released/got rid of. I am the first to get on his back when he doesn't jump for headers, or looks for the foul - but he's cut that out in recent weeks.

He needs the ball into his chest/feet, to hold it up and lay it off before making a run into the box - where currently it's being pumped at his head where if he does flick it on it's just to their goalkeeper/centre halves and we lose posession.

Furthermore we saw why Pope was being made to marke Akinfenwa after the way Robertson attempted to mark Ranger on Saturday, forwards make it look so easy to completely lose him and create space!

OS, what is your ideal Vale team, assuming everyone is fit? I say this because you praise Pope (who I thought did ok on Sat in fairness to him) and say he relies on crosses, yet slate JMW who is our best winger (great assist for Loft's goal on Saturday by the way). If JMW doesn't play, who puts in the crosses that Pope needs?

OS, what is your ideal Vale team, assuming everyone is fit? I say this because you praise Pope (who I thought did ok on Sat in fairness to him) and say he relies on crosses, yet slate JMW who is our best winger (great assist for Loft's goal on Saturday by the way). If JMW doesn't play, who puts in the crosses that Pope needs?
That is Micky Adams problem really. Yes JMW did provide a decent pass for the first goal but that said what else did he do for the rest of the game?. You quite correctly say JMW is currently our best winger which tells me that we need a better wideman joining us perhaps on the opposite wing to give the frontmen a better service.

Myrie would b in part to blame for swindons third goal. The left full back scored. Myrie has been ineffectual in recent weeks. He doesn't track back which he has to do with our poor goal conceding record. Myrie cost is the 2nd at brentford too with his lack of effort back toward the goal.

Pope has missed chances this season, chances he scored last season. In recent weeks chances have been at a premium for him but before Christmas he definately missed "easy chances"
All strikers miss chances even the very best so Tom isn't going to hit the target every time but I think it would surprise people how few chances Popey has actually had this season. Micky Cullerton has highlighted this fact on several occasions on RS this season. I believe he said you can't score if you don't get the chances and Pope isn't being provided with many goalscoring opportunities this season. I respect Cullo's opinion because he has been and done it himself.

Nothing wrong with Popes application or desire.

Im still scratching my head at why we continue to play him on his own up front.

The way we set up too hoof u might aswell play your quickest player up front at least there team cant push up too much .

Popey is a very good player yet all i c is pointless balls over his head all the time ( Robertson main offender maybe he should watch the dvd of Mcdonald finding Pope last season regularly with balls to his chest).

He will not get any criticism of me ,example v Brighton he spent most of the game chasing all there back four on a energy sapping pitch.

Feed the pope and he will score , ignore the critics and keep going.

Spot on:clap:

Nothing wrong with Popes application or desire.

Im still scratching my head at why we continue to play him on his own up front.

The way we set up too hoof u might aswell play your quickest player up front at least there team cant push up too much .

Popey is a very good player yet all i c is pointless balls over his head all the time ( Robertson main offender maybe he should watch the dvd of Mcdonald finding Pope last season regularly with balls to his chest).

He will not get any criticism of me ,example v Brighton he spent most of the game chasing all there back four on a energy sapping pitch.

Feed the pope and he will score , ignore the critics and keep going.

Agree with this VFiA. The issue is the system, not the player. However, if we are going to keep playing this system, Pope is not the answer.

Yeah, cus that missed free header from 4 yards out was because of poor service.

If he didn't go to ground every time he goes for a header then I'd be satisfied. He hasn't got a freekick for it all season, so they can't be fouls, unless you believe the refs are conspiring against him, and you'd sound a lot like Sir Westley of Stevenage.

If he didn't go to ground every time he goes for a header then I'd be satisfied. He hasn't got a freekick for it all season, so they can't be fouls, unless you believe the refs are conspiring against him, and you'd sound a lot like Sir Westley of Stevenage.

Agreed. Why is Pope in immune from criticism?

It's like the ****ing Burslem Mafia emerge at the merest suggestion that he's not playing well.

How very dare you?

Agreed. Why is Pope in immune from criticism?

It's like the ****ing Burslem Mafia emerge at the merest suggestion that he's not playing well.

How very dare you?

How is he immune from criticism? You've criticised him, so has Hagrid, and there were threads calling for him to be dropped. Hardly immune.

Chip, shoulder

Archived