onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Referee

blackdog

Advert

REP, understand where you are coming from and the one from Rafeal just is scandalous to not be red.

For me Pope's next touch in the pen incident, whether it be a shot or pass, was going to be a threatening attacking movement. IMHO the foul should therefore have drawn a yellow.

It's not a red because there is too much doubt as to what would have happened next.

In the event the ref didn't even talk to the lad. Similarly one of their lads went through, I think Loft, in the second half and he played a good advantage that we made nothing of. I fully expected that when play stopped he would go back to to book the lad. Not even talked to.

On two occasions they had players go down in relatively dramatic fashion in the box. Neither was spoken to. For me JMW lost his footing, on a greasy pitch, having been running and turning at speed. The ref couldn't book him quick enough.

I don't for a second think we get treated any differently from other sides. I don't however accept that yesterday's ref handled the game competently or that he was up to the standard required.

The key is to be consistent. If you are going to dish out cards do it even handedly. If you are going to ref with common sense and allow a bit to go then again do it evenly.

The ref yesterday seemed to have one approach for one side and another for the other. The assessor report could be interesting.

I'm not defending his performance, just highlighting our cautions and the penalty which are all significant key decisions were right. I have suggested for me he got some wrong too and should have cautioned two of theirs.

I don't think he was biased, don't think i've ever met or seen one and certainly hope I haven't, possibly just more than a little out of his depth.

I don't think REPs point is drivel. For me they could, and should, have had 3 or 4 yellows.

All irrelevant now though I guess.

The one area we do need to tighten up is silly bookings for dissent, shirts being taken off etc. It is unnecessary and is costing us players that we can ill afford to be without.

IMO we can rightly moan about the very poor standard of refereeing but TBH as was shown yesterday during the game.... does it make any difference? I am afraid not in the vast majority of cases. It is the inconsistency that is the most annoying aspect because that then favours one side over another whereas all you can ask for (and want) is evenness during a game.

The problem is, it could make a difference, let's assume Vale were down near the bottom scrapping for points to stay up. Those 4 bookings will tot up and maybe in 2/3 months time we will/could be missing 3 or 4 key players in a vital relegation scrap. Oldham meanwhile, although in the same 'scrap' have a full squad to choose from.

I don't mind inconsistency so long s its dished out equally, as you say, particularly yesterday, it favours one side. Luckily Oldham were not able to take advantage regards the result but next weeks ref will look at the stats and again may be swayed by what he see's.

In my opinion in the case of Dicko in particular, it's no wonder he was so aggrieved, he clearly got his leg around the ball and was dragging it back from the goaline. It hit the defenders leg and bounced out for a corner. I believe from what I recall the ref had a pretty clear view and yet still gave the goal kick.

It would be interesting to hear someone's view of the incident who was sat closer to that action in the Bycars.

Nothing will change whilst referee's remain above criticism. They continually make mistakes yet if managers passes comments they are fined thousands of pounds. How can that be right? A poor decision can cost a manager his job or his club a lot of money yet a referee can leave after a game without having to justify his decisions.

Yes I appreciate that they have a difficult job and they don't have the benefit of countless replays from various angles but if a ref comes out at the end of a game and is interviewed like managers are, then that surely defuses any issues that managers/supporters may have with a controversial decision as it will be explained. As it stands a ref doesn't have to justify his decisions nor does he get fined for his mistakes yet a manager does for simply giving an opinion.

Crazy!

Nothing will change whilst referee's remain above criticism. They continually make mistakes yet if managers passes comments they are fined thousands of pounds. How can that be right? A poor decision can cost a manager his job or his club a lot of money yet a referee can leave after a game without having to justify his decisions.

Yes I appreciate that they have a difficult job and they don't have the benefit of countless replays from various angles but if a ref comes out at the end of a game and is interviewed like managers are, then that surely defuses any issues that managers/supporters may have with a controversial decision as it will be explained. As it stands a ref doesn't have to justify his decisions nor does he get fined for his mistakes yet a manager does for simply giving an opinion.

Crazy!

I totally agree with this as would virtually an official I know, including 4 currently officiating at League standard and above.

It is indeed crazy and the fact your face has to fit with the older fraternity is also a massive issue that the County FA's, the contrib leagues and appointment secretaries at all levels need to address.

I don't think REPs point is drivel. For me they could, and should, have had 3 or 4 yellows.

All irrelevant now though I guess.

The one area we do need to tighten up is silly bookings for dissent, shirts being taken off etc. It is unnecessary and is costing us players that we can ill afford to be without.

Totally agree with that and Micky eluded to it in his praise of Dicko. To be fair this mainly only affects Pope and Dicko and maybe to a lesser degree Griff. As my mum used to say to me as a kid, bite your lip and count to ten / if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

We've done ok this season with some beneficial decisions' date=' Rotherham as an example.[/quote']

Don't get me wrong REP, of course we will benefit from odd decisions here and there. I don't and will never expect ref's to get all decisions right, in fact I generally try and defend ref's as their job can be nigh on impossible, especially with what appears to be allowed on a football pitch these days.

When was the last time any of us saw a free kick given for 'obstruction?, I always argue that although great at 'shepherding' the ball out for a goal kick, Aspin was in fact obstructing play. Yes, we have the suggestion that he has the ball under control, however if he hasn't yet kicked it, has he really? Also, the side-lines and goal-lines were originally designed to stop teams playing on pitches 12 miles long by 3 miles wide (exagggggeeeerrration) so yet again it's a case of footballers bending the rules to suit the way they play.

Officials have a difficult job in front of thousands of folk who can all do it better. I take no pleasure in 'knocking' ref's but when they are so obviously set up on one particular side then it really should be cause for concern.

I beg to differ ;)

The keeper was not diving at his feet. The foul took his feet away, rather than brushed his back. There was no other defender nearer enough to prevent him shooting at goal. You can beg all you like but you're not getting any coppers in your tin from me!

Im like most on here that it was the blatant bias from yesterdays referee that has caused us to be so annoyed.

It was so blatant and in the end he was blowing for free kicks if vale players were within 2 yards of an Oldham player! I exaggerate slightly but his decision making was ludicrous.

Archived