onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale 3 - Coventry 2 Post Match Comments

1517sharps

Advert

From the Coventry forum ..........

"Micky Adams certainly did his homework watching us play on more than that 2 or 3 occasions. Thats the problem with us playing on Sundays most 'home' games... Gives other managers a chance to see how we play and work us out. Gutted we lost, was only 1 bad half this game but its a long season and we will be fine this season. "

Well done Port Vale. Best side so far to play against Coventry this season.

Brilliant stuff Vale. Congratulations to Micky Adams on some inspired substitutions too.

That numpty who posted that Tom wouldn't get 5 goals this season a few matches ago is looking very silly now, I won't be unkind enough to name and shame.

A draw or win at Tranmere, and it sets things up nicely for another good home game against Bristol City.

Average home league gate after 4 league games now 8,987.

1st half we were woeful defensively. Too many people dragged out of position, and what the 2 centre halves were playing at for their first I'll never know. Very lucky to go in at half time still in with a shout.

2nd half, a completely different game. Whatever Micky said worked.

The subs were bang on, and Birchall and Williamson both played brilliantly. We looked far more solid in the middle, hence the defence had less to do.

My MOM was Loft. All over the pitch, some excellent defensive and offensive play and thoroughly deserved his goal.

Ten points from the opening 8 games, including games against Wolves, Coventry, Brentford and a flying leyton Orient, constitutes a decent start.

We are starting to settle in to the league with 6 points from our last 3 games and only losing at Orient through a last minute winner.

We have more than enough to compete in this division and the next month or so will be very interesting.

Good solid performance from the boys today. Ground out a great result.

Just looked on the Coventry messageboard and one of them reckons we are the best side he's seen this season.

"Micky Adams certainly did his homework watching us play on more than that 2 or 3 occasions. Thats the problem with us playing on Sundays most 'home' games... Gives other managers a chance to see how we play and work us out. Gutted we lost, was only 1 bad half this game but its a long season and we will be fine this season.

Well done Port Vale. Best side so far to play against Coventry this season."

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/37280-Port-Vale-Match-Thread/page14

1st half we were woeful defensively. Too many people dragged out of position, and what the 2 centre halves were playing at for their first I'll never know. Very lucky to go in at half time still in with a shout.

2nd half, a completely different game. Whatever Micky said worked.

The subs were bang on, and Birchall and Williamson both played brilliantly. We looked far more solid in the middle, hence the defence had less to do.

My MOM was Loft. All over the pitch, some excellent defensive and offensive play and thoroughly deserved his goal.

Agree with that. A lot of people who thought he should have gone should be stuffed with humble pie. Also good shout for Ben, his work rate was terrific just needs to get some goals under his belt. Him and Tom by far the best partnership up front. Chris Birchall also made his mark and I think that was probably Chris Lines best game yet.

Well that was a game of two halves. First half the defence was poor (Yates excluded) and stood back too much. Second half, we were a different animal. I said last week, attack is the best form of defence with our squad, and even though we lost, I was encouraged and we would win our fair share of matches.....and today we did just that. Willo scared the bejesus out of their defenders and I think he is Popes preferred partner. They both certainly seemed to know where each other were. If only Willo had a little more composure in front of goal, he'd bag 30 a season!

I thought bringing Yates back was deserved, and he was the best of the back four. Can't knock the midfield second half either. Pope seems to have his mojo back. The goal against Wolves may have been irrelevant to the result, but I think it was important for Tom, with 5 goals in the last 5 games.

A couple of things people probably wouldn't expect me to say about a couple of people.

Micky Adams: His substitutions changed the match today and he deserves credit for the victory.

Doug Loft: I had my doubts pre-season whether he could make the step up, but along with Yates, he has been the most consistent performer and for me was Man of the Match today with a deserved goal and a proper Captains performance.

A great game of football today, better than the dross in League 2, which both teams contributed to. I suspect Coventry fans will have been disappointed to have lose. Make no bones about it, they are a good side, probably the best I have seen t VP this season.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, lets keep the attacking football going and mid table will not be a problem for us. "We'll score one more than you" should continue to be our moto, because that's our strength.

Archived