onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Lee Hughes

davo80

Spot on and he was sporting enough to applaud the Bradford fans, when he was replaced towards end of game.

I was in the Lorne St stand, and when he applauded them, I looked at the Hamil to see if the City fans were clapping. I didn't see any, so I assumed he was applauding them "ironically" because of the abuse they'd given him.

Advert

Another example of him giving something back after his previous mistakes in life, you can't change the past but you can always do better today and have a brighter tomorrow!!!

http://m.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/story.html?aid=19677043&category=sport

I waited for ages for this to download, and got fed up of waiting. Can anyone do a "cut and paste" on it, please?

I was in the Lorne St stand, and when he applauded them, I looked at the Hamil to see if the City fans were clapping. I didn't see any, so I assumed he was applauding them "ironically" because of the abuse they'd given him.

Possibly;)He answered the abuse in the best possible way,scoring and laying off the winning goal for Doug Loft:yes:

Top lad Hughesy is. He did wrong, was punished & continues to give back. You'd think he was expected to sit in a darkened room, thinking about what he did forever.

Other fans are hypocrites, they slate him but they'd have home playing for them. If Bradford had Hughes, they'd have won on Saturday. #abusethehughesandhewillscore

I like that end chant like feed the Pope,it could catch on.

I would love to see Hughes given a player coach role next season,lets keep him here.

I would love to see Hughes given a player coach role next season,lets keep him here.

I wasn't entirely happy at first about him coming here but I think he's proved he's put the past behind him. Top bloke, but does that necessarily mean that he'd make a good coach, or that he even wants to?

A big fortnight coming up for Hughesy. Yes, we are all looking forward to the Wolves game and he will get a bucketload of abuse. This weekend will be the opposite i suspect.

Oldham gave him his chance back into football when he got released from prison. He was loved there and i believe he will get a cracking reception.

Obviously he has his past but since we signed him he's been a model professional for us, a real pro's pro.

He's talker, a leader, an encourager. He picked up Popey and told him to keep his head up after his first half miss on Saturday. His quality and experience in the final third was the difference which won us the three points.

I waited for ages for this to download, and got fed up of waiting. Can anyone do a "cut and paste" on it, please?

LEE HUGHES is determined to be more than a bit-part player for Port Vale after his man-of-the-match display helped them to a 2-1 win at home to Bradford on Saturday.

The striker turned 37 in May, but rolled back the years after he was handed his first start of the season. Hughes pounced on a loose back-pass to fire Vale in front after 43 minutes and then set up Doug Loft for Vale's winner after 66.

The striker says he faces tough competition for a place up front as Micky Adams also has Tom Pope, Gavin Tomlin and Ben Williamson to choose from.

However Hughes, who notched the 201st league goal of his career on Saturday, says he's still fit enough to be a regular starter if required.

He said: "I want to start most games and I always look for one goal in every two or three games, that's what I have had all my career. The amount of games I play decides the amount of goals I score.

"That was the first time I have played almost a full game since pre-season, I think I showed that I can still run the channels and run all over the place like a little kid.

"I hope that will show a lot of people I can still play."

However, Hughes, who was subbed after 90 minutes before Vale saw out five minutes of injury-time, says he has no complaints about manager Micky Adams starting the season with Pope and Tomlin.

He said: "We have good quality strikers here, Gavin did well in pre-season and scored goals and the manager spoke to me and said he was going to start with those two. I respect that.

"I thought I would wait for my time and show him what I could do."

Meanwhile Hughes has enlisted the entire Vale squad in a 10 kilometre run for charity.

The players will be running in support of London 2012 Paralympics gold medal winner Richard Whitehead. The London 200m champion runs on prosthetic blades and is taking on 40 marathons in 40 days to raise money for disability charity Scope and cancer charity Sarcoma.

Vale's squad will be running with him on September 10 in the stage from Measham in Leicestershire to Solihull.

Hughes said: "I know Richard from when I was at Notts County, because that's where he's from.

"When he got in touch with me I asked the manager here if we could get involved. He said yes, the whole team would run it.

"It's a great cause. You can do 5k, 10k or the full marathon but we'll stick with 10!"

The way he put himself about on Saturday he could play on for a couple more years yet. He is most effective starting games rather than coming on as a sub and if fit him and Pope should start every match and then bring Tomlin on during the last 20 minutes of a match. I hope he starts against Wolves.

It's all his work- it's what he says on twitter when the idiots start on him

Archived