onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Computers

geosname

I dont know if this will help anyone but if it does then its worth the post....

I recently had the house rewired, when I plugged the computer back in it wouldnt start, as I knew the CMOS was faulty/dead [had to keep resetting the time and date] I replaced it. Started again and nothing..... no beeps... no screen activity.... no BIOS message.... nothing.... but their was power to the mother board.

Here is how I fixed it......

Took the sides off and started disconnecting and reconnecting components [with the pc off].... hard drive first.. switched on.. no beeps.... DVD.... switched on.. no beeps... First memory stick removed.. no beeps.. Second memory stick removed.. beeps... progress:woot: .. I replaced the first memory stick... beeps... connected the screen... we have lift off

Problem.. memory stick failure

Solution.. new memory

It may not be of use.... I hope it is

Advert

I was using my laptop while the PC was out of action.... the heat build up in a laptop is quite high, especially if the room temperature is 40c to start with... and capacity wise I find them restricting.

The PC, although not mobile, has capacity benefits I use [3 x 1terabyte hard drives and 7 internal fans for a start]... carrying mobile hard drives starts to defeat the object of a laptop.

whyfor you all speak in foreign tong, geo lost me after I, hells bells, terabytes,memory sticks,i'm lost,i struggle to maintain my pc built in 2006,on xp with ie8 and i've only just graduated from megabytes, how the other half live,:(

whyfor you all speak in foreign tong, geo lost me after I, hells bells, terabytes,memory sticks,i'm lost,i struggle to maintain my pc built in 2006,on xp with ie8 and i've only just graduated from megabytes, how the other half live,:(

The one I have was built in 2007 I think... still using XP... dont use IE... still using the same 3.4 duel core... swopped disk drives/hard drives/graphics cards/sound cards/power units/cases... I was thinking of going upmarket to an i7 and a water cooled system.... but Im still happy with what I have, it still does the jobs I want it to so why upgrade?

I was the same until I read the PC Book For Dummies.

It worked wonders.

The one I have was built in 2007 I think... still using XP... dont use IE... still using the same 3.4 duel core... swopped disk drives/hard drives/graphics cards/sound cards/power units/cases... I was thinking of going upmarket to an i7 and a water cooled system.... but Im still happy with what I have, it still does the jobs I want it to so why upgrade?

i could have a system built exactly as i want for £440 at my local whizkids, but i aint got that sort of cash as i'm saving for house repairs,i'm not happy with ie8,it's out of date and some sites wont accept it,so i find one which does. My mates on windows 7 and chrome with add blocker(which he says is like greased lightning compared to xp) but chrome wont support xp after march 2014 as neither will microsoft so i'm left with poor choice,msn,firefox(dire crap), opera or safari .I now have 1.5g of ram which is it's limit,tried to add more but the pc switches itself off,but i will use it until it gives up the ghost, not short of capacity as yet with 80g hard drive, don't play games, waste of time.aint life jest one long struggle..

Make your own mind up....to an extent it depends what you use the internet for, the type of sites that you frequent, what versions you are on, devices that you use...all sorts of factors

From my experience none particulalry stands out and if one were so much worse than the others then it just would not survive

http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/the-best-browser-internet-explorer-vs-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-safari/

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/120312-argument-browsers-264414.html

clicked on the link and it's foreign language to me still on ie8 and xp, none slower than the fastest doesn't appeal to me as have to put up with what i've got as i can't afford the outlay for the new stuff,forever looking forward and leaving us behind.

Doesn't have to cost anything to change/upgrade

http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-49-opera-15

https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/browser/

Usually slow speed is due to slow broadband or issues with your laptop/pc..I know I get my laptop cleaned up regularly to remove junk and stop redundant processes that are running and it can make a huge difference

Loads of articles and software on cleaning/speeding up XP...although I can't recommend any as I am lucky to get it all done for me :)

Search in google for freeware pc clean up windows xp

Good luck

clicked on the link and it's foreign language to me still on ie8 and xp, none slower than the fastest doesn't appeal to me as have to put up with what i've got as i can't afford the outlay for the new stuff,forever looking forward and leaving us behind.

If you want a clean up try this Ccleaner its free at filehippo

For defrag try auslogics thats free too Cnet ............ or just do a search..... I use firefox.... XP.... dont have a problem

Archived