onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Rudge's "New Challenge"

nodge

Advert

What a strange post - Rudge goes to Stoke, his stay coincides with their most successful spell in 40 years, yet he has been a waste of time at Stoke? His role is obviously not a public, high-profile one but they seem to have thought he's worth his wages for all this time. You get all sorts on OVF don't you?

I would have him back at Vale in a flash, either as head of development, director of football, chief scout or whatever similar job title. I actually think he'd be a very good man to have on the board - local man with an understanding fo the fan base but also the area and the game itself.

Might seem a strange post to you - but I'm entitled to my opinion just as you are. Lighten up.

You have more insight into his roll. However "Major influence back stage" doing what? "Scouting duties" who has he unearthed?

Shawcross- for starters! Don't let facts get in the way of your argument!

I'm not so sure his time at stoke was wasted, a mate of mine who works behind the scenes at stoke told me Rudgie steadied the ship during the mess with the icelandics and is a major influence back stage, as well as scouting duties

I wonder why Coates kept him on all these years then? Like in a lot of things, contacts and networking are worth having. Most work is done behind the scenes, bull merchants spout a lot but what do they achieve?

He had lots to do with Stoke's English signings during the Boskamp era. Paul Gallagher and Luke Chadwick to name just two. Anyone doubting Rudgie's ability to spot a player either at Vale or Stoke needs their head looking at.

I was a great fan of Rudgie during our golden years at VP. However football is no place for sentiment, it's a business. Would JP improve what we have already in some sort of capacity? I'm not sure, afterall what has he done for the "great" team down the road, hardly set the World alight with all his experience, eye for a bargain etc. Not wishing to decry his acheivements here, but apart from relieving Sjoke of wages, his time at Sjoke has been wasted imho. Tin hat ready!

John Rudge has dealt with scouting players and signing them. Now if John Rudge was not connected to vale and done what he did here at another club, then spent his time at stoke. We would consider him out of reach. What Rudge has to offer is invauble to any club. His contacts and scouting ability would be second to non at Vale and he would be a massive asset to the club. Anyone who knows anything about football and Rudge would agree. He has been instrumental in the rise of both Port Vale and Stoke City over the years. He would certainly do well scouting and working with the academy. He has probably already been lined up as soon as it was announced he was leaving Stoke. Wildes and Smurf wont miss a trick. I am sure Micky would happily use his talents and abilities to assist this could be a massive strength at L1 level.

NoHalfMeasures - you are indeed entitled to your opinion. However, you would have to agree that someone of that experience could only help our club. Rudgie, if he were to return to us, would be fishing in different waters if he did a scouting job for a League 1 club. When it was called division 3, he was brilliant at it - taking non league players and turning them in to what was then Division 1 standard. Tarring him with the brush of hoofball because he has been working for the Lardies isn't really fair - when he was manager, we all knew he believed in pure football. The teams he produced for us back in the 90s played sublime football at times. I doubt he will come back, but if he did, it would be an absolute stroke of genius by the directors. I bet he still has contacts in the Netherlands and Sweden for bringing in players from overseas.

And anyway, allow us to dream awhile will you? Part of the fun is in the "wouldn't it be great if" on this forum. Why let harsh business realities get in the way?

I don't think Adams should have any influence whether Rudge comes back as Director of Football or any other role. Adams is an employee of the club and should get on with his job. Personally if JR came back(and I think he would if asked) then it would help Adams and would also help sell season tickets.

Archived