onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Rudge's "New Challenge"

nodge

Shawcross is a quality player. There are a number of players at Stoke that have Rudge written all over them.

Is that what all those tattoos say? I've often wondered.

What is getting into people on this website. No I mean I can tell a John Rudge signing when I see one.

:unsure:

:laugh:

Advert

As Sir Alex himself once commented, the job that Rudge did for the Vale was nothing short of miraculous. In those days, pre Bosman, you could pick up players, develop them and sell them for a lot of money which could then be reinvested in the club. This is what Rudge did to perfection. Whilst Bell was the perfect foil in terms of developments off the field, he could have done nothing without Rudges success in buying and selling players so exceptionally well.

Whether he should come back or not is a good question. I don't know how active he was at Stoke in later years. It would also depend on whether or not MA saw him as a threat. He shouldn't, but knowing MA he might! He would certainly make a fantastic Ambassador for the club and would doubtless encourage people who have lost touch with the club to give it another go.

NoHalfMeasures - you are indeed entitled to your opinion. However, you would have to agree that someone of that experience could only help our club. Rudgie, if he were to return to us, would be fishing in different waters if he did a scouting job for a League 1 club. When it was called division 3, he was brilliant at it - taking non league players and turning them in to what was then Division 1 standard. Tarring him with the brush of hoofball because he has been working for the Lardies isn't really fair - when he was manager, we all knew he believed in pure football. The teams he produced for us back in the 90s played sublime football at times. I doubt he will come back, but if he did, it would be an absolute stroke of genius by the directors. I bet he still has contacts in the Netherlands and Sweden for bringing in players from overseas.

And anyway, allow us to dream awhile will you? Part of the fun is in the "wouldn't it be great if" on this forum. Why let harsh business realities get in the way?

I actually agree with most of your post, it's very well put. The point of my original post, which most posters took entirely the wrong way, was that JP was originally offered the job of Director of Football at VP. After being relieved of the managers role he felt unable to accept that position. My point was that going to Sjoke and not remaining at VP, was imho wasted years, given what, as you say, he acheived at Vale and could have gone on to achieve. I thought my original post was fairly clear, however there are lots of people on here that read into things what they want to read. I never stated that it would be a retrograde step for Vale if he returned. It was a good job the tin hat was ready.

Archived