onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

best water in UK

JOHNNYAITCH

Not a fan of the water down here in Surrey. Quite cloudy, and I think SOT tap water always had a harder, punchier edge to it.

What about best bottled/mineral water?

Always hated Evian, Volvic is up there (I would say that, being from the area)...and Vichy.

Bottled water is a marketing man's creation, purity wise they're no different than tap water and some are worse. An analysis of one famous brand, might have been Evian, showed it to contain traces of benzene.

Advert

Bottled water is a marketing man's creation, purity wise they're no different than tap water and some are worse. An analysis of one famous brand, might have been Evian, showed it to contain traces of benzene.

Benzene is found in all sorts of situations. You inhale it every day every time you breath. If you smoke you are pushing huge quantities of it into your body. Even if you fill your tank in your car you inhale it.

Benzene is found in all sorts of situations. You inhale it every day every time you breath. If you smoke you are pushing huge quantities of it into your body. Even if you fill your tank in your car you inhale it.

Benzene is a carcinogen, it can cause cancer. Inhaled benzene (from sources you indicate) entering the lungs is rapidly removed from the lungs unchanged by exhalation. In contrast benzene ingested via the mouth (via drinks) and entering the stomach is rapidly absorbed into the blood steam via the small intestine and oxidized by the liver to a reactive metabolite "benzene epoxide" (as well as other toxic metabolites) which due to its chemical structure can react with DNA and produce mutations (chemically modified DNA) hence the carcinogenicity.

Hence, benzene entering the stomach is potentially much more dangerous than that inhaled into the lungs although exposure to benzene should be kept to an absolute minimum, ie don't smoke and certainly don't drink anything containing benzene if you can help it.

Hard water..... Ice?? :unsure:

I'm not much for water really. I find it doesn't quite qench my thirst as much as if it has a bit of juice in it. Nowt too strong, and certainly not a carbonated drink.

But saying that, the water I had yesterday from work (north Warks) was rather nice. Will have to compare it to Stoke water when I'm at my parents house next week.

Agreed. Always baffled me. Only have it if I'm in a country where the water is questionable or I'm thirsty and I'm not at home. One day they will bottle air and sell it.

Agreed. Always baffled me. Only have it if I'm in a country where the water is questionable or I'm thirsty and I'm not at home. One day they will bottle air and sell it.

They already have.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2271690/Bottled-AIR-Chinese-multimillionaire-sells-EIGHT-MILLION-cans-fresh-air-TEN-DAYS-pollution-levels-climb-record-high.html

http://www.walesinabottle.co.uk/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/7419759/Bottled-air-given-out-by-National-Trust.html

Benzene is a carcinogen, it can cause cancer. Inhaled benzene (from sources you indicate) entering the lungs is rapidly removed from the lungs unchanged by exhalation. In contrast benzene ingested via the mouth (via drinks) and entering the stomach is rapidly absorbed into the blood steam via the small intestine and oxidized by the liver to a reactive metabolite "benzene epoxide" (as well as other toxic metabolites) which due to its chemical structure can react with DNA and produce mutations (chemically modified DNA) hence the carcinogenicity.

Hence, benzene entering the stomach is potentially much more dangerous than that inhaled into the lungs although exposure to benzene should be kept to an absolute minimum, ie don't smoke and certainly don't drink anything containing benzene if you can help it.

Interesting and, while that may be true, there has been concern expressed about benzene in soft drinks caused by a reaction between salts and vitamin C in certain circumstances. In the USA, there are FDA levels for water, but not for soft drinks.

Also high levels of benzene have been found in carrot juice, due to some natural process.

But lastly, you may be right about benzene in liquids ingested being more dangerous but rates of leukemia, particularly acute myeloid leukemia (AML), have been found to be higher in studies of workers exposed to high levels of benzene in the atmosphere.

All in all, it's not good. Best thing is, don't drink and don't breath.

Interesting and, while that may be true, there has been concern expressed about benzene in soft drinks caused by a reaction between salts and vitamin C in certain circumstances. In the USA, there are FDA levels for water, but not for soft drinks.

Also high levels of benzene have been found in carrot juice, due to some natural process.

But lastly, you may be right about benzene in liquids ingested being more dangerous but rates of leukemia, particularly acute myeloid leukemia (AML), have been found to be higher in studies of workers exposed to high levels of benzene in the atmosphere.

Dont breathe smoke, and dont drink anything much except water and you wont go far wrong.

It amazes me that people make jokes about bottled water, but never have a go at the chemical mess with 20 lumps of sugar added called Coke/Pepsi and its mutant variatons like Iron Bru, Tizer and all fizzy drinks. Why not just drink carbonated Perrier and lose the ton of sugar and chemicals?

Fruit juice is unhealthy too - the juicing process releases the sugar as a big hit and spikes blood levels so contributes to diabetes risks wheras if you ate an orange or piece of other fruit it releases slowly from the pulp and is healthy.

Plus, if its in a plastic bottle theres the newish identified BPA to concern us -

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/722/WARNING_The_Dangers_Of_Plastics_and_BPAs.aspx

Tests showed those who drink from plastic bottles (and some cans leach the stuff too) can have up to 20 times as much of this nice substance. Happy drinking !

What makes me laugh with bottled water is the fact it has a sell by date on the bottle, its probably been in the ground 10,000 years.

The sell by date is for the plastic bottle, after that date even more mutant slime leaches into the water. Thirsty ?

Even though most of the benzene inhaled into the lungs is claimed to be exhaled a tiny amount will still be absorbed into the blood stream. The level of benzene in gas/petrol in the US is regulated to be

Interestingly, the amount of ethanol in gas/petrol is ca 10% by volume (ethanol is the same molecule as ethyl alcohol and is the alcohol that makes you drunk in beer/wine/spirits, it has the same boiling point as benzene). The amount of ethanol, in a typical beer/lager is ca 4% by volume but no one in their right mind would recommend drinking gas/petrol as way to get drunk as apart from the taste, death would be rapid from the toxic effects of the hydrocarbons that constitute the bulk of petrol!!

Archived