onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Barnet 0 Port Vale 0 - Post Match Comments

Caz or caz123

Is there any difference for Tom Pope to have Lee Hughes as a partner up front compared to Louis Dodds or Ben Willimason ?

That's a very good question, Silfver.

Pope and Hughes can form a great partnership upfront but, if Micky plays them together, then playing two wingers as well is simply asking for trouble as we will be outnumbered in midfield every time. Neither of our wingers have either the inclination or ability to defend effectively when we're under pressure.

On the other hand, if Micky wants to play two wingers, then IMHO Dodds is the best player to make that work as he links the play so well (and scores a few goals to go with it). We played this system in the early part of the season and it worked really well. In fact, for me, this is the system that unlocked Popey's goal scoring prowess.

Just my opinion but worth thinking about.

Advert

Hughes is perfect for games where we get the wingers going and dominate because it gives another huge goal threat to feed off the supply.

The issue is in games where the middle two get over run, normally due to the opponents making the game narrow and due to the wingers being unable to tuck in. In those games it needs either another centre mid or or one of the front boys to drop deep. Dodds is ideal for that sort of role.

Tactically Davids got it right for the first hour and Micky responded in the right manner. Personnel would be my gripe as I'd rather have seen Birchall on than Shuker who wasted a lot of decent possession.

Can't win them all mind and given the first hour it was definitely a point gained.

It was interesting that Barnet did not have a mid-week match but we did on the bog that is Vale Park at the minute.

This next week Morecambe have the mid-week match and we don't so it will be interesting to see how they manage 90 mins next Saturday.

I thought we did much better when Calvin Andrew came on and as Rayzer said I don't know how he missed his chance but besides that I thought his power and pace down the left certainly helped to push them back a bit in the last 15 mins when we created more chances than we did in the other 75 mins.

My mate told me that Barnet and Vale both had only one shot on target each and that was clearly wrong as Neal made at least two good saves (I think he hadn't refreshed his phone from half time!) but even with those chnaces we still created more goal threat with Popey's header and Andrew's miss.

It was definitely a point won and it will be interesting now to see how we do against the mid-table teams like Morecambe and Torquay.

We didn't play as well as we could of. Respect has to be given to Barnet, they looked a lot better than the league table suggests.

Were not going to win every game, so I'm looking at is as another point towards League 1!

Another great following by us Vale fans.

Having watched the Gills get absolutely battered by Wycombe recently a point for us at Barnet (who also beat the gills) was a good result.

If we can maintain an undefeated run with our superior goal diff and keep as many clean sheets as poss we should stay at the top of this poor league , escaping from it by May imho.

Archived