onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Loyalty to the vale

Advert

Fplky - just saying that it would have to be an exceptional bid and it looks like the club no longer have to sell anyone to cover short term debt.

So, its down to Popey and I genuinely believe that when Tom says he is having the time of his life at the Vale.

Sorry, I was responding to the OP.

Regarding your comments - absolutely - I fully agree.

I love my job and the company treats of well, but I'd move to any companthat offered to double my salary, knowing I've got about 8 years til I retire, as in Pope's case.

You only have to read "The Secret Footballer" to understand how footballers think especially where money is concerned,The Pontif has done a brilliant job for us but to think he wont move on if his salary is considerably increased and especially if its relatively close is naive in my opinion,he has a wife and family to think about, to not take advantage of a good pay day would make me question his sanity.

You only have to read "The Secret Footballer" to understand how footballers think especially where money is concerned,The Pontif has done a brilliant job for us but to think he wont move on if his salary is considerably increased and especially if its relatively close is naive in my opinion,he has a wife and family to think about, to not take advantage of a good pay day would make me question his sanity.

Peter Swans book is also along the same lines (nothing against Swanny). I also think that the OP is being a little unkind on Earle and Gardner. Robbie didnt owe us anything and deserved to make himself and his family financially secure and Gardner was sold by Bell as we were facing money troubles which by selling him managed to stave off the problem for another season or so.

I would add McPhee and Brooker to the OP's list though.

Wereskintandweknowweare ... spot on mate.

Perhaps those saying money is everything are simply saying what they would do in the same situation.

It isn't so much that money is everything its that his family is everything, especially his wife and any future kids and he will feel he's responsible as the breadwinner, a footballer's career is relatively short. I hope Pope plays for Vale for many more years and we gain promotions but that said, if he decides to move on then he would go with my best wishes having given all Vale fans great memories.

This is a ridiculous thread. As much as I like Tom Pope how has he shown loyalty when he has not had the opportunity to leave?

Its not even a question of loyalty in any event. All of the players listed above went onto to a club in a higher league and surely being a pro means you have aspirations of playing at the highest possible level.

Hmm not sure about the loyalty thing because when players like Earle beckford Taylor left for money all around the million mark I don't think it was the players kicking and screaming to go when a million quid got mentioned 15 20 years ago you were on your way like it or not. Not sure what the equivalent of a million quid 20 years ago in todays money but I bet we ain't been offered it. Glad the windows shut sorry SLAMMED shut and we've been able to keep our best players because of our healthy off field position, now lets concentrate on going up.

Can any one remember a player who has shown such commitment to the vale in the last forty years as demonstrated by Tom pope he has not signed yet but he will.

My memories of let's grab the cash thanks for the memories port vale. Players in popes situation.

Andy jones

Robbie Earle

Leone constant swine

Anthony Gardner

Tony rougher

Steve guppy

The list goes on and on and on. Pope could at least double his money now. He is a very very rare breed in football All of our legends will not turn out to have his loyalty. Every one at the end of the day went for the cash, don't blame them in a way but thank god.

Tom Pope really is a vale fan feed him the best contract you can possibly ovfer

What a tosh post. Pope could still leave. The best example of running for the money you've missed out Steve McPhee. He moved to an inferior club purely cause of money. All the players you've listed moved to bigger clubs than Vale in higher division and mostly we did quite well financially out of.

Inny - think that's unfair mate - are you saying he and his family are not lifelong Vale fans?

If he chooses to leave in the summer (assuming we are promoted) then it will be to a club a damn site better than the Vale - Popey is loving his time at the Vale, he loved it last season even when he was not the fan's favourite.

Are you saying he is lying when he says to the media - I'm playing for my boyhood club and loving every minute of it?

Money isn't everything, I believe if Vale are promoted and make Popey an offer that is considerably better than what he is on now then even if a financially better offer comes in I don't see him taking it.

As regards contract I wouldn't be surprised if he signs a contract now with a get-out if we are not promoted.

Only my opinion of course.

Dave I'm saying nothing of the sort. I know Tom is loving it and I know his partner is very keen to stay in the area. But to say he is being more loyal to Vale than everyone else is premature. If he was showing such commitment he would have signed his new contract by now. Also he has not ad an opportunity to leave as I understand there have been no offers for him.

I am worried, as I'm sure many vale fans are, that he will go on a free at the end of the season. I don't blame Tom at all and I would be keeping my options open even if it results in Vale offering a better contract and he stays. I have not implied that Tom is not happy or lying about anything.

Archived