onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

SC update

MattW

Anyone who was at the statue unveiling last weekend will have seen Martin Tideswell make an excellent fist of MC'ing the event and will have seen how superbly well the event was organised by the Supporters' Club. I take it the person responsible for organising the forum was there - in fact I know that is true if the person tasked with organising the forum is who I think it is.

If the person organising the forum is who I think it is, then this person seems to have issues with the SC as a result of events during some of the "protests". I wonder if Lee Blakeman is getting paid for hosting the forum when Martin and the SC would have done it for nowt as well?

I understand Mr Smurthwaite has agreed to attend an SC meeting in the not too distant future. Perhaps this tells us more clearly that anything else what he thinks of recent decisions by some of his staff.

I thought George Andrews would be the obvious choice for MC!!!

Advert

At least we have a CEO who seems proactive and is working the media. That on RS was proof of that.

Do you consider that as "working the media"?

The SC should calm down a bit I'm guessing now most people have lost the reason to moan so maybe it's time just to let things tic over and see where we go for the short time. Can't fault PW and GB for the work they have done.

Why the hell do you assume the SC was just for moaning?

Storm in a tea cup. Move on, you can get one of the 400 tickets if you can be arsed to get from behind your keyboard. Next time I'm sure it will be better synched with the SC. We're talking about something organized on a time scale less than two weeks. What with 'elth and safety what do you expect? Involving the SC and finding a bigger venue would probably have stuck a week or two on it (SC feel free to correct if this is wrong)

If you are referring to me,I was up at the ground on Friday morning and was one of the first to get a ticket,when did you get yours?:unsure:

The problem at the Vale is there are splinter groups and 'power bases' that refuse to join the Supporters Club.

They say (used to say) its because the Supporters Club are trouble makers. My view is that instead of seeing the benefits that would come from all working together they feared losing their own 'power base'

Quite simply if the new owners want a strong Supporters Club then the 'splinter groups' have to be brought into a unified Supporters Club.

I tried in the past very hard, and failed, to get these groups whilst retaining their individuality also to join the Supporters Club and have a representative of each group on the Supporters Club committee.

This would have resulted in every sector whether it be Valiants Against Racism, Volunteers Group, Away Travel, Football in the Community, Port Vale Supporters Trust (VAST), Grant applications etc plus the basic SC functions all being under a single committee and having the benefit of joined up thinking and expertise.

A very simple for instance - the Volunteers Group decide to raise funds for some equipment for the youth team - however, if all groups sat round the same table the Grants person on the committee may say to the Community Rep 'would that equipment also be of use to you' and if he replies yes the Grants Rep may well say 'OK I can get grant funding for 50% of the total.

But unfortunately all this fell on deaf ears and to be honest Kissinger would struggle to get some of the groups at the Vale to work together IMHO.

The problem at the Vale is there are splinter groups and 'power bases' that refuse to join the Supporters Club.

They say (used to say) its because the Supporters Club are trouble makers. My view is that instead of seeing the benefits that would come from all working together they feared losing their own 'power base'

Quite simply if the new owners want a strong Supporters Club then the 'splinter groups' have to be brought into a unified Supporters Club.

I tried in the past very hard, and failed, to get these groups whilst retaining their individuality also to join the Supporters Club and have a representative of each group on the Supporters Club committee.

This would have resulted in every sector whether it be Valiants Against Racism, Volunteers Group, Away Travel, Football in the Community, Port Vale Supporters Trust (VAST), Grant applications etc plus the basic SC functions all being under a single committee and having the benefit of joined up thinking and expertise.

A very simple for instance - the Volunteers Group decide to raise funds for some equipment for the youth team - however, if all groups sat round the same table the Grants person on the committee may say to the Community Rep 'would that equipment also be of use to you' and if he replies yes the Grants Rep may well say 'OK I can get grant funding for 50% of the total.

But unfortunately all this fell on deaf ears and to be honest Kissinger would struggle to get some of the groups at the Vale to work together IMHO.

That is a well written post. Totally agree with your thinking. However it did seem like every man and his dog wanted to setup a protest group before. I'm guessing that was to promote their own cause however they appeared more pro-active than the SC.

Why not get rid of the SC and change the group to something like a Supporters Trust? Then the remit could be set out and focus more on what you have written above and less about being just a voice to turn to when someone wants to moan.

Do you consider that as "working the media"?

Why the hell do you assume the SC was just for moaning?

That was working the media to ensure that the right message was being put out. That ensured that no one could stir anything and e positive message was broadcast on the radio and is on the record for RS to use when they need content.

The SC was a moaning shop. That was how it has been sold to people and really as a group who will address anything that people are not happy with at the club.

That is a well written post. Totally agree with your thinking. However it did seem like every man and his dog wanted to setup a protest group before. I'm guessing that was to promote their own cause however they appeared more pro-active than the SC.

Why not get rid of the SC and change the group to something like a Supporters Trust? Then the remit could be set out and focus more on what you have written above and less about being just a voice to turn to when someone wants to moan.

The SC is the best option.....So shut it lover of Glenn......Ask him for Visitors pass at the local HMP as he might need one soon......

I agree a Supporters Trust would be a great benefit to the Vale in bringing in revenue that the club itself cannot obtain - however why limit the club to just a Supporters Trust when we could bring so many different positives to the club under the banner of a SC.

But the SC was sold as this group to bring about change. Now it's happened - you can help thinking the same faces will attend ans interest will wain. It's a shame that it happens however the SC was basically dead before the uprising and you have to fear it will revert back to this state if things appear well.

It's also not come out looking good with some fans when the leadership have faced abuse and comments regarding what they do. Thankless task for the moaning few.

Archived