onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale 4 - Bristol Rovers 0 Post Match Comments

sheffield61

I think they are both very similar and that's part of the reason why we concede too many goals.

Both are out and out centre halves who go for the first header, both are limited technically and their distribution is poor, and both lack pace and often seem clumsy.

This is par for the course in Div 2 but if we had a decent sweeper who could read the game and had a bit of pace it would help a lot, I think.

Dean Glover anyone?!;)

How can you say MacDonald distribution is poor? His passing is 10 times better than McCombes. I agree about everything else but technically MacDonald wins easily, Most Vale fans should see this in games. I reckon my passing game is better than Booms.

Advert

McDonald can have a mare one week and a cracking game the next. Boom is more consistent but is caught out too easily.

Hence why they're both in League Two!

They're both capable of playing at higher levels though I reckon. We'll see next season! :)

Mike (owd sage) you say if other teams had had a Tom Pope they would have torn us apart - not many teams in the world have got a goalscorer scoring at his conversion rate mate.

I'm sure you'll agree Mike footy at the Vale this season has been very very entertaining - I should imagine there aren't that many grounds that see more goals per game than we have at the Vale.

I reckon Popey's on a mission to score more this season than Stoke. Given the choice mate although its Prem league down there and you were just a neutral would you be going Vale or Stoke? We know where the entertainment is!

Chris, we'll have to disagree on McDonald but for me his passing is poor and the ball is like a hot potato for him.

Dean Glover could distribute a ball with care and accuracy but not Clayton.

I don't see much difference between the pair of them to be perfectly honest. Neither can pass water.

That's why McCombe has had a few clubs and Turner released him after Hereford were promoted to Division One, and why McDonald was released by Walsall and is currently plying his trade in the bottom league.

They might be ok in Divsion Two but the higher up we go the more they'll be found wanting because of their lack of pace, awareness and technical ability and their failure sometimes to remain calm, trap a bouncing ball and pass it accurately.

McDonald has improved a lot this year - I accept that - and I'm delighted to see him progress - but I never feel safe when the pair of them play together in central defence. York's first goal is a case in point.

They were like York...all running and no end product. That was funny to see their keeper run over after the game to give his gloves to one of the fans. He'd have been better off giving a performance.
Last game for them, has been recalled by West Ham from his loan spell.

Archived