onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

James Anderson

Alan Vit

Advert

10 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Reading between the lines he's been forced out.

Sad that I won't see him at Edgbaston in July.

All time England great. 

Got tickets to the Saturday of that test so same about not seeing run in to bowl. Best England bowler of all time for me, don’t think there’s any controversy on that.

Looks like the decision has been made with the next Ashes tour in mind. Probably means they’re going to go with Tongue or maybe Archer if he is finally over his injury worries.

• Like 1

I don't read it that way, it seems to me to be genuinely mutual.

Jimmy turns 42 in July, just after his last Test match, an age when mere mortal seam bowlers have long since been retired.

The chosen date gives Jimmy the chance for a big send-off at the home of cricket.

And then allows the England coaches and selectors the rest of that Windies series, and the following series against Sri Lanka and NZ, to bring through new seam talent, in preparation for next year's Ashes in Australia, which is always a gruelling tour.

There's an excellent Jimmy tribute video on Sky Sports.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Alan Vit said:

England great Anderson to retire this summer

The first Test against West Indies at Lord's on 10 July will be his last.

Just to say thank you for all of the wonderful memories.

Certainly England's greatest ever bowler and arguably the world's greatest ever seam bowler.

I hope Jimmy joins the England coaching team.

Agree with all of this.   It's been a pleasure to watch Jimmy over the years. Accuracy, subtle movement and swing. Such a skilful bowler. At times, when the conditions were right he was mesmeric. Later in his career his accuracy was such that he was still a potent force on flat dry pitches. 

Also a fine fielder, although batting was a bit weak 🙂

I've been lucky to see three of the finest ever bowlers: Anderson, Warne and McGrath. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Alan Vit said:

I don't read it that way, it seems to me to be genuinely mutual.

Jimmy turns 42 in July, just after his last Test match, an age when mere mortal seam bowlers have long since been retired.

The chosen date gives Jimmy the chance for a big send-off at the home of cricket.

And then allows the England coaches and selectors the rest of that Windies series, and the following series against Sri Lanka and NZ, to bring through new seam talent, in preparation for next year's Ashes in Australia, which is always a gruelling tour.

There's an excellent Jimmy tribute video on Sky Sports.

There was an article on the BBC yesterday suggesting he'd been spoken to during a round of golf with Mccullum.

I definitely think he's been pushed. Wouldn't of hurt to play against W Indies. I understand the need to look to the future. 

But to me he's been persuaded after being told what is going to happen. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/cll4e9qlm7ro.amp

I doubt the conversation will ever be revealed in more detail.

Jimmy's a fierce competitor, so may have been planning to play all this year's Tests, though I doubt even he would have been up for another away Ashes series in 2025-2026, at the age of 43.

But anyway, I'm glad that Jimmy will have his well-deserved farewell performance at Lord's.

• Like 1

Certainly one of the top 3 English seamers of my lifetime.  Snow, Willis and Anderson were all very good. A certain Sydney Barnes of Porthill CC was supposedly unplayable but I missed him by some way. A great servant to English cricket. A longevity speaks volumes to his fitness.  Be interesting to see if he carries on playing for Lancashire.

I think this summer they are trying to get an Ashes bowling attack together,  so probably the right call. It will be strange seeing an England team, 21 years in international sport is a long time!

• Like 2

Magnificent swing and seam bowler and servant to English cricket. I doubt his test wicket haul will ever be beaten by a seamer from any country. His action is up there with the likes of Michael Holding. Still worth his place at Lords on merit if fit.

• Like 1

He's had a great career. 700 test wickets and a 20 year career playing for England can't complain with that. He gets his send off and hopefully takes 3 or 4 more wickets in his last match. It will give England the chance to put out a younger bowling attack. I know they will pick woakes and wood for now, but there's plenty of others waiting to step in. Tongue,fisher,cook,Potts are 4 bowlers that for me are likely to get picked, plus there is Robinson and archer if they can stay fit.

4 hours ago, Alan Vit said:

It will be amusing if Jimmy posts a couple of five-fors at Lord's.

I wonder what Brendon McCullum would do then?

It would certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the conditions are favorable with the Dukes ball in his hand. Even if he does take wickets at Lords, McCullum and the selectors will want to blood other quicks as I can't see Anderson going to Australia in 2025.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

It would certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the conditions are favorable with the Dukes ball in his hand. Even if he does take wickets at Lords, McCullum and the selectors will want to blood other quicks as I can't see Anderson going to Australia in 2025.

Nah, now they’ve said Lords will be his last test they’d look ridiculous if they went back on it even if he went past Warne on the all time wicket takers list. Would have preferred they’d have given him a send off at Old Trafford so he could run in from his end one last time just personally speaking. For England to win in Australia they’re going to need some out and out quick bowlers as opposed to the traditional English seamer so could see them trying to go with Archer and Wood to spearhead the attack

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

Nah, now they’ve said Lords will be his last test they’d look ridiculous if they went back on it even if he went past Warne on the all time wicket takers list. Would have preferred they’d have given him a send off at Old Trafford so he could run in from his end one last time just personally speaking. For England to win in Australia they’re going to need some out and out quick bowlers as opposed to the traditional English seamer so could see them trying to go with Archer and Wood to spearhead the attack

Essentially what I said in my post.