onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

An Open Letter from Carol

I think the biggest problem, now is that Carol has now backed herself into a really tight corner over Flitcroft.
It will make things really difficult for her if results keep going badly and the new head, coach, whoever it is does not work out.
If things on the pitch turn around then all well and good. However going by the performance against Orient, I am struggling to see that happen.
What is Carol going to do with Flitcroft if things don't work out. Does he keep his job regardless. Does she end up with egg on her face and eat loads of humble pie. Which after that letter would be highly humiliating. Or does Flitcroft get to resign with a nice big payoff.
There are a number of problems I have with Flitcroft.

1. He has sold Carol a fantasy that if she spends all this money of hers, on things that are very nice to have or employing people in various roles that are very nice to have, it will make us better prepared to mount a promotion challenge or stay in the championship if we get there. It won't. It is only players on the pitch that will do that.

2. He will only accept one style of play and that now has to be the permanent ethos of the club. Even if it is failing badly. This will highly prejudice the range of players, managers/coaches we can bring in. We are Port Vale in league 1. We are not going to be able to out football clubs with higher budgets. What we can do is out fight them with determination and effort.

3. As an experienced manager, who is responsible for most of the first team coming to the club and the style of play, then it was shameful to hang the youth team coaches out to dry. And not take charge of the first team against Orient. As somebody else has put it was cowardly.

4. A leaf could be taken out of Wycombe Wanderers book. When on lower gates and more limited financially, they took the decision to do away with their Acadamy and youth teams. Not because they wanted to, because they no longer had the money to continue with them, they could not afford them. It didn't stop them getting promoted.
Now before anyone jumps down my throat. I am not advocating doing away with our academy. But there are plenty of things in Carol's letter that she gives Flitcroft credit for, that we don't need at our level. If we can't afford them don't spend the money on them.

5. His recruitment is really poor. The tea. became dependent on youth team loans. Did he not realise that the parent clubs may want them back in January. If you look at the Youth team loans we have had over the years most have been garbage. We got lucky with Devine and Arblaster turning out so good. He was never going to be able to pull that trick again.

I really fear for our club now. Carol had backed herself into a corner, she will have difficulty getting out of. And are the players really going to be pulling out all the stops for the man who has put the club in this position.

Sent from my SM-A528B using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 5

Advert

2 hours ago, Aguar61 said:

Along with poor recruitment, awful playing style,flat atmosphere ...what else can you judge a football club on. Where have you come from all of a sudden?

At least it's not a low cost housing development. All of a sudden? I was at Vale Park when Roy Sproson was playing. You can judge a football club on it's presence, values, sustainability and standing in the community. Where have you come from?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AndyGeorge said:

At least it's not a low cost housing development. All of a sudden? I was at Vale Park when Roy Sproson was playing. You can judge a football club on it's presence, values, sustainability and standing in the community. Where have you come from?

How many points are they worth?

Edited by JoeB2
  • Like 8

28 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We are in the relegation positions in the league table and have an unbalanced and threadbare squad plus no manager. Football is a results led business and we are not achieving them. Flitcroft is supposed to be responsible for all football related matters.

Yes, I understand what you are saying though in 50+ years of following the club, I don't remember many years when it wasn't hand to mouth. It seems that the modern challenge is more about survival and sustainability first, results on the pitch second.

Look at the clubs that have thrown money at a season or two and how that has gone for them long term. Also, fans can't possibly know the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes in trying to make the club good and to just dismiss these people as incompetent doesn't sit well with me.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AndyGeorge said:

I don't know mate, maybe you can ask a few Bury fans.

I will, and whilst I’m at it I’ll ask them the name of the manager who talked of being Championship-ready and overspent shortly before they went bump. 

Edited by JoeB2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, 1 said:

People don’t like being told to be quiet in general, and especially not when they’re right. The letter, though well-meaning is designed to silence criticism rather than address why that criticism is being dished out.

The letter is a good communication. If nothing was said another type of criticism actually far worse would be levelled. They don't communicate with the fans. That is more poisonous. 

Unfortunately, the appointment of Crosby has transpired to be a big mistake. I can see why he was appointed. It wasn't the cheap option. It was a decision made after risk assessment. Crosby had performed well in his interim management spells. He is a very experienced coach. He was successful in keeping the club in L1 at the end of last season when in charge after Clarke was removed. Giving him a go permanently looked possibly less risky than bringing in a new manager. Less change etc. 

I think Crosby has personally cost Port Vale 10 - 15 points in games this season. His second half decision making has been particularly awful. Without these mistakes or misjudgements we would be much further up the league. This is the number one key issue. It looks like the number two key issue is the squad has been weakened not strengthened in the Jan 2024 window. 

So we are where we are. Must make a good management appointment this time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We are in the relegation positions in the league table and have an unbalanced and threadbare squad plus no manager. Football is a results led business and we are not achieving them. Flitcroft is supposed to be responsible for all football related matters.

Pretty much sums it up

1 minute ago, Warren said:

The letter is a good communication. If nothing was said another type of criticism actually far worse would be levelled. They don't communicate with the fans. That is more poisonous. 

Unfortunately, the appointment of Crosby has transpired to be a big mistake. I can see why he was appointed. It wasn't the cheap option. It was a decision made after risk assessment. Crosby had performed well in his interim management spells. He is a very experienced coach. He was successful in keeping the club in L1 at the end of last season when in charge after Clarke was removed. Giving him a go permanently looked possibly less risky than bringing in a new manager. Less change etc. 

I think Crosby has personally cost Port Vale 10 - 15 points in games this season. His second half decision making has been particularly awful. Without these mistakes or misjudgements we would be much further up the league. This is the number one key issue. It looks like the number two key issue is the squad has been weakened not strengthened in the Jan 2024 window. 

So we are where we are. Must make a good management appointment this time. 

The letter is a car crash. And has made us a laughing stock. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

The letter is a car crash. And has made us a laughing stock. 

It is a communication to Port Vale fans. No one else, save perhaps business partners and manager applicants, is interested in it. 

Edited by Warren

2 minutes ago, Warren said:

It is a communication to Port Vale fans. No one else, save perhaps business partners and manager applicants, is interested in it. 

However widely available to the whole world. 

It's an embarrassment. Been fending off raucous laughter from acquaintances who follow Stoke, Everton and Cambridge to name but 3. They all think it's cringeworthy and one mentioned the relevance of the food bank quote, which has been pointed out on here. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

However widely available to the whole world. 

It's an embarrassment. Been fending off raucous laughter from acquaintances who follow Stoke, Everton and Cambridge to name but 3. They all think it's cringeworthy and one mentioned the relevance of the food bank quote, which has been pointed out on here. 

Stoke is the enemy. They have 50k people waiting to laugh at PV. Cambridge are rivals. I live on Merseyside, you're having a laugh if you think Everton fans care about PV. They are protesting points deductions at the moment. I 100% know my Liverpool supporting friends I drink with tomorrow night will not give a moment's thought to said letter. And more to the point, they are irrelevant. 

If Stoke lose to Blackburn on Saturday and QPR win at home, they will be in a big relegation battle themselves. 

Edited by Warren