David Flitcroft Out

Flitcroft out?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should David Flitcroft go?

• Yes
    • No

Advert

2 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

He is not what we need right now though,  he needs a preseason to get up to speed. He will be returning to his parent club by the time he has had a run in the team.

I agree he’s not what we need in regards to a relegation scrap. But I have heard he’s a tenacious little player as well as technically good. Let’s give him more than 60 mins of game time hey mate 👍🏻 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valiant steve said:

The long term plan includes three completely flawed ideologies:

a) All youth players up for sale.

There isn't really much you can do if a youth player wants to sign with a Premier League academy. The rules are set. We get a small compensation fee. Nothing we can do about that.

However, that does beg the question of why bother pumping money into an academy? We're surrounded by massive clubs, multi-million pound academy operations, including the experts up the road at Crewe.

Why would any bright prospect choose us? Even if we do everything right. Of course the best talent we get will leave us.

So what does that leave us? Lads at 16/17/18 that were passed up by the top academies at 8 years old, at 10 years old, 12 years old? Still not good enough. Not wanted at 13, no thanks at 14. They were aware of them at 15 but weren't interested.

That leaves us with thin gruel in terms of relatively late developers.

Personally I'd go with the Brentford, Accrington, Wycombe etc approach and sacking off youth development and putting that money into the first-team and a B/reserve team of 17-24 year olds who've been spat out from academies but can still be those late developers.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

No chance. He is here for the foreseeable. He's an easy target when emotions are running high, I am as guilty of that as anyone, but you can't judge a director of football in the same light as a manager. A managers job is getting results in the here and now, they live or die by results. The director of footballs job is more about the long term so can only really be judged in 2/3 year cycles. Case for Flitcrofts defense is that 2 out of 3 managerial appointments in my eyes have been good (and even the harshest critic would struggle to say Crosby didn't deserve a chance given the job he did in the promotion season when Darryl was off), the loan signings we are getting are better season on season because players report back that they had a great experience and those links with big clubs are developing (Rhys Williams was a gamble worth taking because he would be immense in League 1) and I do think Gore will be pivotal because he is a huge upgrade on Massey as a wingback) and the signings are better too. Remember the days of Danny Pugh and Anthony Kay in midfield (shudder). Ultimately he will be judged on next season, not this. As for this transfer window, January windows are frenetic. You have 30 days to sort everything and not much could be done until funds were freed up. Ultimately the collapse of Uches move to Charlton and subsequent injury meant those expected funds never came. Just wasn't the time for plan B after that. Its a bit like moving house, you are waiting for 2 or 3 things to happen and if one falls through it puts paid for everyone. I moved back in with my parents temporarily before Christmas while I rented a new flat. I'm still here and it's nearly March. The one wildcard is the free agent market and playing for Darren Moore is a much more appealing prospect than playing for Andy Crosby so may still come good. Also has a lot more relevant contacts and players who have played with him before. The rumour I've heard is Dwight Gayle- he's desperate for a short term deal to put him in the shop window, lives locally and did well under Darren Moore at Sheffield Wednesday. He doesn't need the money, just the game time.

Much of what you say is true but you could easily argue part of DC’s failure was down to the players recruited, or not recruited, under Flitcroft in the January window that season, a trend that’s continued, resulting in the departure of another manager.  The recruitment team have had 3 transfer windows to address our lack of goals and have failed.  That’s a bit longer than you and your flat, which I hope works out by the way. We can appoint the very best manager but then also have a duty to give him the tools to do the job.  We failed to do that for DC, failed again for Crosby and failed Moore by appointing him immediately after the window has shut.  It’s gross mismanagement, reactive rather than proactive which shows a lack of planning.

When you start churning managers plus all their staff it costs significant money.  That money could, and should, have been spent on players, which would improve the team and help keep the manager in a job, not to mention drive revenues in the obvious ways any successful team would see.  It’s a fundamental failing, we shouldn’t be depending on the allure of Moore, although I like the sound of that, to attract free agents.  It’s desperation.

Gayle is linked to Derby I believe?  Plus I’ll just point out that Gore isn’t a replacement for Massey.  Gore and Wier are stepping into the roles vacated by Arblaster and Devine.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, butt lane vale fan said:

I can only judge people as I find so I'll be honest, I don't understand where all this hatred for the bloke comes from off fans. OK some of the transfer activity as been crap with regards to Stikers ect, but he can only spend what Carol gives him. H The prob I think for him, is some fans will always be up Pope's backside and so once Pope did that interview slatting Flitcroft he's always been onto a loser.

What an embarrassing post.

I had to read 3 or 4 times to see if it was tongue in cheek but it's not

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

whether we want him gone or not is irrelevant. im in the out camp but the simple fact is carol wants him here . personally i think if we go down his position is untenable.

Exactly.  We’ve appointed a new manager, the fans have to back the team.  What will be will be.  Our league position will ultimately decide.

• Like 3

What has happened to professional football? When I first started to watch Vale in the early 70’s there was the same number of clubs in the professional leagues, thus meaning the same number of centre forwards existed then as they do now. During these times we have always been able to pick up journeymen strikers who would stay with us for about a year or two and move on to ply their trade at another club before they hung up their boots. The likes of (in no particular order) Ally Brown, Ron Futcher, Jimmy Greenhough, Bernie Slaven, Brett Angel, Bernie Wright, Ron Futcher, Ernie Moss, Lee Hughes and I’m sure the list could be longer. Maybe these type of players have been locked away in a secure cupboard with all the white crumbly dog turds never to be seen in Burslem again.

I just cannot see this type of player putting on a Vale shirt whilst Flitcroft has his grip on power, his position really threatens a fan’s relationship with the club. All the decent prospects we have will be sold on before they can become our heroes thus diluting the player-fan bond. I really do not want us to be a Crewe type of club, a stepping stone for players on their way to bigger and better things. There might be some money and sustainability in this model but zero identity or connection with the fans.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

He looked exactly what he is, a technically gifted young player with zero experience of mens football.

Which is why he is here, and expected to pick it up quickly. Maybe effective for half the remaining matches?

• Like 1

What has happened to professional football? When I first started to watch Vale in the early 70’s there was the same number of clubs in the professional leagues, thus meaning the same number of centre forwards existed then as they do now. During these times we have always been able to pick up journeymen strikers who would stay with us for about a year or two and move on to ply their trade at another club before they hung up their boots. The likes of (in no particular order) Ally Brown, Ron Futcher, Jimmy Greenhough, Bernie Slaven, Brett Angel, Bernie Wright, Ron Futcher, Ernie Moss, Lee Hughes and I’m sure the list could be longer. Maybe these type of players have been locked away in a secure cupboard with all the white crumbly dog turds never to be seen in Burslem again.
I just cannot see this type of player putting on a Vale shirt whilst Flitcroft has his grip on power, his position really threatens a fan’s relationship with the club. All the decent prospects we have will be sold on before they can become our heroes thus diluting the player-fan bond. I really do not want us to be a Crewe type of club, a stepping stone for players on their way to bigger and better things. There might be some money and sustainability in this model but zero identity or connection with the fans.

I think a large part of this problem is that clubs in the premiership and championship now have much larger squads. Where they will employ footballers just to be bench warmers. Or just be part of an enhanced squad. It works for the players as they can earn far more as a rarely used squad player in the higher leagues than drop down to leagues 1 & 2 for first team football. Can't blame them. Would you tell your missus that you are going to up root all the family so you can earn less than a quarter of what you were.
It is the way football has been allowed by the authorities to develop.

Sent from my SM-A528B using onevalefan mobile app

1 minute ago, worldsendvalefan said:

I think a large part of this problem is that clubs in the premiership and championship now have much larger squads. Where they will employ footballers just to be bench warmers. Or just be part of an enhanced squad. It works for the players as they can earn far more as a rarely used squad player in the higher leagues than drop down to leagues 1 & 2 for first team football. Can't blame them. Would you tell your missus that you are going to up root all the family so you can earn less than a quarter of what you were.
It is the way football has been allowed by the authorities to develop.

That’s fine. But all the other teams at the bottom have managed to recruit strikers, and others.

That’s fine. But all the other teams at the bottom have managed to recruit strikers, and others.
Very true, which again proves that Flitcroft is not very good at his job

I was just trying to explain why these types of players are not as abundant as they once were. I was not trying to give Flitcroft an excuse. Because I don't think he has one. He thought he could bring in another Arblaster or Devine. Well he couldn't and it has left us high and dry.

• Like 1