onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Lee Mills

nodge

17 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

Better than Foyle? Mills was a decent finisher but I’m not giving him that or putting him in the conversation with Foyle. Mills had a rocket of a shot on him, think it was against Ipswich where he hit a free kick so hard the keeper can be very thankful he didn’t get anything on it.

Agreed about Foyle - for me, the best striker the Vale have ever fielded, given the higher level we were playing at for much of the time with him in the team.  As for Mills and his rocket shot, definitely!  I went to a pre-season friendly when Vale played Hastings back in the 90s, and during the warm up, Mills was taking shots at goal with real venom - one ripped the netting out, and the groundsman had to run on and fix it before we could start.  He packed a real shot on him for sure.

Advert

On 21/01/2024 at 09:50, Hoppers said:

I remember travelling to crystal palace to see my mate and go to the game - this was 96/97 ish - he dragged his brother in law along (a football hating rugby fanatic, who pre-match moaned his absolute bag off).

Mills scored an absolute belter from the edge of the box, and at the end of the match we had to drag the brother in law out of the stadium, who wouldnt stop chanting "Lee Mills, theres only one Lee Mills) 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

We arrived at half time along with some other coaches. Charged us full price too. We'd already bought tickets before the Wolves game so after that defeat,we couldn't get in the playoffs!

We complained to Vale and asked for a refund. We were given free travel to the first away game the following season....Pompey away!

What a volley by Mills BTW! Scored of some fantastic goals for us

On 21/01/2024 at 10:09, philpvfc said:

Was that the goal where Ainsworth hit an amazing over head cross from near the corner flag? The Palace manager said it was one in a million. He obviously hadn’t seen Ainsworth play before.

I think that was for Peter Beadle’s winner early in the 98/99 season, header in off the bar. 

On 21/01/2024 at 07:15, Emile said:

Rudgies book mentions a bit of a trick he did on Mills with the new upcoming Bosman rules coming in. Perhaps this is the reason? 

That’s one point, alongside the fact that when he returned he was written about in the programme notes in quite damning terms. 

32 minutes ago, Santa said:

I think that was for Peter Beadle’s winner early in the 98/99 season, header in off the bar. 

If it’s the game we played Palace last game of the season, they pipped us to the play offs and went up to what we now call the Premiership. I remember leaving the ground and a Palace fan said “Keep those 2 wingers and you will go up next season”. Unfortunately we sold Guppy and Mcarthy a few weeks later. 

1 hour ago, Lornelounger said:

Agreed about Foyle - for me, the best striker the Vale have ever fielded, given the higher level we were playing at for much of the time with him in the team.  As for Mills and his rocket shot, definitely!  I went to a pre-season friendly when Vale played Hastings back in the 90s, and during the warm up, Mills was taking shots at goal with real venom - one ripped the netting out, and the groundsman had to run on and fix it before we could start.  He packed a real shot on him for sure.

Tin man was a class act. Easily a top division striker, in fact his early career saw him play so many first division games as a young player, you wonder why he was never given another chance there as he was amazing for us. Made me laugh when some people tried to claim 4th division Pope was our greatest. 

The quality of Foyle and Naylor over many seasons in the 2nd Tier was incredible. Not many injuries either until the end of their careers. 

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Tin man was a class act. Easily a top division striker, in fact his early career saw him play so many first division games as a young player, you wonder why he was never given another chance there as he was amazing for us. Made me laugh when some people tried to claim 4th division Pope was our greatest. 

The quality of Foyle and Naylor over many seasons in the 2nd Tier was incredible. Not many injuries either until the end of their careers. 

Agree completely. 

2 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Tin man was a class act. Easily a top division striker, in fact his early career saw him play so many first division games as a young player, you wonder why he was never given another chance there as he was amazing for us.

Warnock tried to sign him for Notts County when they were in the first division during our (and their) relegation season.

You're right though. Foyle made his Southampton debut at Old Trafford and scored in a 1-1 draw. 

On 21/01/2024 at 17:08, philpvfc said:

No way was Naylor a great finisher. Great player but he was one who needed a lot of chances to get his goals. Naylor was one of the worst one and one finishers I’ve seen at the Vale, remember his multiple efforts with just the Stoke keeper to beat?

Loft is the worst finisher I have seen at the Vale, imo , anyway  Opinions vary ,but if you think Naylor was a poor finisher you haven't got a clue about centre forwards for me you must be living in cloud cuckoo land 😆😂

7 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Naylor could have played in the premier league in my opinion, he was Class

On 21/01/2024 at 10:08, philpvfc said:

Lee Mills was the best finisher I’ve ever seen at the Vale. Never missed a 1:1, also, as good a free kick taker I’ve seen. Did OK for Bradford in the Premiership, just tarnished his career by playing for Stoke but that was towards the end of his career I guess where he may have been struggling to get a club.

Mills was no where near as good a finisher as Foyle , Naylor or slaven but you have your opinion and I have mine , eh oh 

24 minutes ago, Nippy Naylor said:

Loft is the worst finisher I have seen at the Vale, imo , anyway  Opinions vary ,but if you think Naylor was a poor finisher you haven't got a clue about centre forwards for me you must be living in cloud cuckoo land 😆😂

Luke Rodgers is probably the worst I have seen. The sheer number of chances he missed against Chasetown alone was appalling. I sometimes wonder how he escapes getting mentioned in the worst ever Vale player lists. 

Biggest sham is that he went on to better things with Yeovil, Portsmouth and New York Red Bulls. He never convinced me at all at Vale..

4 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Luke Rodgers is probably the worst I have seen. The sheer number of chances he missed against Chasetown alone was appalling. I sometimes wonder how he escapes getting mentioned in the worst ever Vale player lists. 

Biggest sham is that he went on to better things with Yeovil, Portsmouth and New York Red Bulls. He never convinced me at all at Vale..

Offside king 

Archived