onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Griff!

sapperclarke

Griff is one of my favorite players, but to be honest I'm not sure how much he is worth in terms of paying him a larger salary.

We need goal-scoring midfiedlers to get out of the league, and Griff must be averaging 0.5 per season (or is that 0 if you include his spectacular own goal as a -1) :rolleyes:

Advert

Would we miss him in the team?....Basically, it all depends on who we are comparing Griff to....

If we are comparing him to a class of midfielder that we would like MA to sign, then perhaps not.

If we are comparing him with the class of player that we have been rumoured to be interested in, then we sure will miss him!

Initially when Ryder revealed that the wage budget would be increased, i was encouraged.... optomistic, if you like.......

Now, i'm a little concerned about the noises coming from VP and the rumoured players we are chasing.

We are in League 2. By the time Griff gets to 30 I hope we are firmly established in the top 10 in League 1. That is realistic. If that is enough career ambition for him and he is offered enough money he should stay. He is very well liked. Roy Sproson did not need to become Pele in order to have the respect of the fans and be given a statue as the club's greatest servant.

Roy Sproson turned down a move to Liverpool, but the Vale were in the same league then. There was also a max wage for players as well. But he would have had the prestige of playing for a bigger club. I would prefer Griff to stay, and I would be upset if he joins a L2 club, but if he goes, he goes.

I like Griff but with him in the team, we do not attack with pace. As soon as he gets the ball, it all slows down as he invariably passes backwards!! As others have said, with 2 decent centre midfielders we do not need him in the first team. I would have him on the bench though. Would love to see Loft and Shuker in there next season.

Can't remember when we last "moved forward with pace"? Probably when we had Guppy & Jon McArthy. We do have this tendency to so far forward then check progress and that's when you see the Griff sideways/backwards passing movements that brings potential attacks to a sudden halt! That being said, you also need forwards 'running the channels' to provide options for the forward pass and too often there isn't sufficient movement up there, so consequently we come to a juddering halt and I guess that's when we all get a bit frustrated.

I watched Crewe last night, the Southend holding midfielder, Grant had an excelent game, tackled, held the ball up and also made some great passes

Thought the same myself,similar to Griff but technically better.Slightly off topic but how many Vale players would get in the current Crewe team?3 points and a lightyear off the playoffs ( without the 10pts deduction ) IMO.

I watched Crewe last night, the Southend holding midfielder, Grant had an excelent game, tackled, held the ball up and also made some great passes

Ant - I was impressed with the 4 Asa Hall and I know he's been mentioned.

Grant played better at Crewe and another ref would have sent him off last night - He got away with one on Powell where the wrong one got booked.

I'd say Grant got more options from the players ahead of him than Griff gets at Vale.

Grant played better at Crewe and another ref would have sent him off last night - He got away with one on Powell where the wrong one got booked.

I'd say Grant got more options from the players ahead of him than Griff gets at Vale.

The number 4 wasn't Asa Hall, he plays for Oxford and has just signed for Shrewsbury. The number 4 is Ryan Hall

The 4 is

With out doubt Southend have more quality than our squad [ currently ] hene the better options, however Grant was still picking out 30 yard passes [ forward ] . How often has Yates been wide open this season for not one pass to go to him.

Im not knocking Griff, however to state hes the best holding midfielder in L2 is wrong in my opinion, I actually think Westwood did a very good job last night as well, Id personally select Westwood & Grant ahead of Griff if I had the option.

Yes Ryan Hall had a good game as well

Archived