onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Mo Chaudry: Davis has a good future ahead of him

Richard...

Advert

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Just a "stopper"??? You're seriously saying that Dean Glover would have had the ability in this day and age to captain a successful club and also his country for so long? Terry has more class on the pitch than pwople give him credit for. He's often very calm on the ball and never feels pressured. He's composed and has everything in his locker, which is what has had him playing at the top of his game for so many years.

Brilliant; Dean Glover compared to John Terry :D

Radio 5 live have done a number of features on John Terry over the years. The general opinion is widespread.

"He's composed and has everything in his locker" is generally NOT the opinion of the guests, football writers & ex pro's.

Terry lacks pace and has always struggled against quick/nippy forwards.

Terry cannot "turn" a forward. If you put the ball over the top of him and he runs towards his own keeper he has to play the ball back or kick it into touch.

Terry plays better when he's "paired" with a pacey centre half or defensive midfielder sitting just infront of him.

Terry may possess the ability to be a professional footballer but he does not possess the ability or skill to be described as "class." He may have captained his club & country and played at the top level for many years but he's never won anything for England and as far as the top prize in club football is concerned, the Champions League has always found him wanting.

If you want to know or see what "class", genuine class is all about check out the late, great Bobby Moore.

No contest, No argument!!!!!......

Radio 5 live have done a number of features on John Terry over the years. The general opinion is widespread.

"He's composed and has everything in his locker" is generally NOT the opinion of the guests, football writers & ex pro's.

Terry lacks pace and has always struggled against quick/nippy forwards.

Terry cannot "turn" a forward. If you put the ball over the top of him and he runs towards his own keeper he has to play the ball back or kick it into touch.

Terry plays better when he's "paired" with a pacey centre half or defensive midfielder sitting just infront of him.

Terry may possess the ability to be a professional footballer but he does not possess the ability or skill to be described as "class." He may have captained his club & country and played at the top level for many years but he's never won anything for England and as far as the top prize in club football is concerned, the Champions League has always found him wanting.

If you want to know or see what "class", genuine class is all about check out the late, great Bobby Moore.

No contest, No argument!!!!!......

Compared to Dean Glover, JT is right up there with Bobby Moore! ;) :D

I couldn't care less what the so called pundits say on TalkSport... Adrian Durham and Mickey Quinn both talk through their anus and then u have cricket has beens in the form of Darren Gough and Ronnie ****ing Irani! All hail the fountain of knowledge coming out of that lot!!! :rolleyes:

Terry has good control of a football and often takes the ball out of the air on his chest instead of nutting it clear! He then plays a simple pass to a midfielder. That to me is composed.

I would have loved to have seen Bobby Moore... alas, I'm too young! ;)

Saw him once..versus Vale in t'cup many moons ago.

Terry has some good qualities..he's good in the air, brave, strong..but he lacks pace and agility, does not read the game well hence the last ditch blocks, relies on a good partner and also a good left back outside him, seems lost when he's asked to play even slightly out of position and really he does not pass well..just does the basics.

Makes him sound absolutely cr@p which he clearly isn't..he looks good against certain types of opposition when it comes to a physical battle but when he comes up against a team that moves it around....

Saw him once..versus Vale in t'cup many moons ago.

Terry has some good qualities..he's good in the air, brave, strong..but he lacks pace and agility, does not read the game well hence the last ditch blocks, relies on a good partner and also a good left back outside him, seems lost when he's asked to play even slightly out of position and really he does not pass well..just does the basics.

Makes him sound absolutely cr@p which he clearly isn't..he looks good against certain types of opposition when it comes to a physical battle but when he comes up against a team that moves it around....

Sorry JA, but Terry's passing qualities are much better than people give him credit for. What's wrong with doing the basics, if you do them well? And to say he needs a good left-back outside of him is wide of the mark; I'd say it is the other way around!

On Wednesday night, Ashley Cole drifted inside too many times, covering a large void left by JT's absence. When Terry is there, he makes Ashley Cole look better, because he can just stick to his task in staying out wide, because he knows one thing, that Terry will be there to cover him if a winger gets past him (which has been the case on many occassion this season!).

This snippet was taken from OPTA for the 09/10 season team of the season;

John Terry, Chelsea

Only two defenders helped keep more clean sheets (15)

Only two players made more successful passes this season than him (1572)

Scored more than one PL goal for first time since Chelsea's last title win in 05-06

http://optasports.com/about/news/feature-the-opta-premier-league-team-of-the-season.html

Since when was Mo an expert on football talent? We want him for his money end of.

Exactly, football club owners / chairmen who express opinions on footballing matters, no matter how seemingly harmless, are on the road to ruin. I wonder what Mickey made of his comments, particularly given the grumpy mood he has been in of late?

Compared to Dean Glover, JT is right up there with Bobby Moore! ;) :D

I couldn't care less what the so called pundits say on TalkSport... Adrian Durham and Mickey Quinn both talk through their anus and then u have cricket has beens in the form of Darren Gough and Ronnie ****ing Irani! All hail the fountain of knowledge coming out of that lot!!! :rolleyes:

Terry has good control of a football and often takes the ball out of the air on his chest instead of nutting it clear! He then plays a simple pass to a midfielder. That to me is composed.

First of all Radio 5 live isnt Talksport.............. no camparison.

Secondly, you described Terry as class........... which he is'nt. Terry is a slightly above average centre half who clearly struggles on the big stage at club/international level.

Thirdly, Glover was a much better player than you give him credit for. Prior to joining us he played in midfield for Middlesborough and was a legend amongst their supporters. He joined the Vale and moved to centre half and marked the prolific Steve Bull out of the game. Glover was class compared to what we had seen up the Vale for quite a few decades. He was beginning of what was to come and he showed us exactly what type of player we could attract.

To end with........ Skill wise, I'd put Glover up there with Terry.

Glover is a hell of a lot closer as a footballer to John Terry than Terry will ever be to Bobby Moore. Terry could'nt compete with Bobby on or OFF the pitch.:yes:

Sorry about the radio bit; completely mis-read that! :D

No denying Dean Glover had it in his locker and was very good at that level at that time, but there must be a reason why Terry has done what he's done for so long, at such a high level. He's highly regarded in the game for his abilities on the pitch, his off the pitch antics shouldn't even come into the matter. For some of those things, he's an absolute ******, but footballing wise, he has class.

Suppose we'll have to agree to disagree :)

Sorry about the radio bit; completely mis-read that! :D

No denying Dean Glover had it in his locker and was very good at that level at that time, but there must be a reason why Terry has done what he's done for so long, at such a high level. He's highly regarded in the game for his abilities on the pitch, his off the pitch antics shouldn't even come into the matter. For some of those things, he's an absolute ******, but footballing wise, he has class.

Suppose we'll have to agree to disagree :)

I'm not arguing with you and your correct about Terry being held in high regard and playing at a high level for so long........... But class? Never.

People are too quick to label footballers as class or as legends when quite clearly they don't deserve such credit.

Let me simplify what I mean. Messi is labelled the best player in the world at the moment and rightly so. How do you think "classy" John Terry would fair against Messi during 90 minutes?

In 1970 the best player in the world was without doubt the legend that was and is Pele. In Mexico Bobby Moore went up against Pele and he held his own throughout and in doing so earned the respect of Pele.

Classy players........ genuine classy players fear no one. They can perform and compete against anybody, even legends!

That can not be said of John Terry.

I'm not arguing with you and your correct about Terry being held in high regard and playing at a high level for so long........... But class? Never.

People are too quick to label footballers as class or as legends when quite clearly they don't deserve such credit.

Let me simplify what I mean. Messi is labelled the best player in the world at the moment and rightly so. How do you think "classy" John Terry would fair against Messi during 90 minutes?

In 1970 the best player in the world was without doubt the legend that was and is Pele. In Mexico Bobby Moore went up against Pele and he held his own throughout and in doing so earned the respect of Pele.

Classy players........ genuine classy players fear no one. They can perform and compete against anybody, even legends!

That can not be said of John Terry.

Is that the same Lionel Messi who didn't score over two legs against a Terry led Chelsea defence in the Champions League semis a couple of years ago?

Barca scraped through with an injury time goal if I recall right from Iniesta but were thankful to a woeful referee who kept them in the tie.

Is that the same Lionel Messi who didn't score over two legs against a Terry led Chelsea defence in the Champions League semis a couple of years ago?

Barca scraped through with an injury time goal if I recall right from Iniesta but were thankful to a woeful referee who kept them in the tie.

Correct, SV!

If you read up stats of JT and his influence on the team when he plays, you will see that he is more than just an average Joe!

Messi is an absolute genius. With JT's injuries and age taking it's toll now, I reckon he'd probably struggle against Messi. But that is no disrespect to a man that his led his team to many a successful night at home and abroad! The difference in having him back against Napoli at home was unbelievable. They missed him over in Naples, but the Bridge was a different matter.

For someone to say he doesn't read the game that well either, is also laughable! Excellent organiser and keeps the ship steady when it's needed the most.

I don't even know why players from past eras are being compared. It's about the here and now and JT has been class for a large part of his career. Bobby Moore was a different gravy, from a different boat.

If you had bothered to take some time out and read my post properly you will note that I said "Messi is labelled the best player in the world AT THE MOMENT."

I can't understand how or why you are basing Terry's "class" against Messi over 2 games that were played (on your own admission) "a couple of years ago"

It is of interest that you have'nt gone further and stated Terry's and Chelsea's achievement/honours during the last couple of years and compared them to Messi's and Barcelona's?

Are you actually claiming that Terry is classy enough to subdue Messi the Champions League winning, World Player of the Year, a player that is stylish, quick footed and full of tricks. Infact a world class player that the whole planet is watching in awe?

Get real!!!......:laugh:

At the time of that semi final in 2009, Messi was the reigning runner up in the World Player of the Year (of 2008). 6 months later he won that award for 2009. He was clearly already at the top of the game at that point in time.

If you are going to debate a point it helps if you do so with some grasp of the facts.

You asked what Terry would be like against Messi over 90 minutes did you not?

When both players were at, or at least towards, their peak Messi didn't score in 180 minutes.

Chelsea's record in the last two seasons is irrelevant because any side is so much more than one man. Their issues have been largely driven by the man running the club and his interesting managerial choices.

Terry may be a complete plank off the pitch but has been a top player on it. Hence why he has been a key player in teams where he's won three titles and 6 domestic cups.

I'd suggest you take your own advice on getting real. Or maybe learn a little about the game.

Archived