onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

More hot air

scVale

Advert

:yes: imagine the reaction if the interview went .... tbh graham its s*** here i hate it, the board are obviously lying b******* , mickeys only here because there is nowhere else to go, the fans never stop moaning even the f***y down burslem is not up to much, im hoping not to get picked saturday because i think we will get f****d but besides that everything is f****** brilliant thanks for asking.

:yes: imagine the reaction if the interview went .... tbh graham its s*** here i hate it, the board are obviously lying b******* , mickeys only here because there is nowhere else to go, the fans never stop moaning even the f***y down burslem is not up to much, im hoping not to get picked saturday because i think we will get f****d but besides that everything is f****** brilliant thanks for asking.

Nothing wrong in speaking the truth MW.:D

I would be much more worried about players attitudes if they were not saying they were going for the best results.

Very silly thread, why do people confuse being displeased with the board with other aspects like the playing side ?

I was merely stating that this is highly unlikely that these players are going to go on an unbeaten run. Absolutely no mention of the board or any other boardroom politics. The point I'm trying to make is that we've heard it all before (too many times to remember in 2008/09) so the players needn't bother and do all the talking on the green stuff and not the black and white. Obviously dunner mind players telling the press bout their enthusiasm for the club or how they are doing coming back from injuries etc... but we've heard all of the usual "we're goin blow them all away from here on in" sort of headlines before. Hope this makes it all a little less "silly".

I know from previous work experience that sports/footie journalists decide on the questions and the player interviewed provides the answers to what is asked. It is very rare for a player to make a statement without being asked.

Also, the player being interviewed may have answered many other questions on lots of other subjects, but it is the media outlet that decides which bits are published and the emphasis/headline.

Journalists will often try to direct an emphasis - I remember back in 1993 before the Stoke v Vale FA Cup match I interviewed both Lou Macari and John Rudge. I tried desperately to get Macari to give me a quote that would help Vale (he had no idea I was a Vale fan).

To his credit, he refused to say that he thought Vale were a smaller club, and even would not comment on fan base etc. and only after the replay when it didnt matter did he come out with a quote that he thought his players were better, saying 'I woudnt swap any of my players for any of Vale's.'

I was hoping to get something that could have been put on the Vale dressing room wall to spur the players on - they didn't need it as it turned out.

Way off topic, but as I have started rambling - it was far far easier to interview Macari (which I did first) than Rudge, as I was rather in awe and almost messed it up. Both were incredibly helpful and supportive though and it was quite an experience, which got printed as a near full page article for which I was paid a measly £30, a fair bit of which went on petrol to get to the Potteries.

Archived