robf

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

Absolutely gutted that the season has had to end meaning we narrowly miss out on the play-offs. However, I fully support and agree with the decision. It seems to be the only ‘fair’ way to deal with the situation we are in. For those moaning about the way it has finished, would you be moaning if we were in Crewe’s shoes? I don’t think you would. 
Missing out by a point is honestly heartbreaking. I said throughout the season, conceding late needless equalisers would bite us in the bum, and it has. Mansfield, Salford, Orient and Scunthorpe were all games we should have seen out and secured three points. Unfortunately, it wasn’t meant to be. 
However, it has been a fantastic season and I’m very proud of the boys. Any improvement on the last three would have been great, but to finish 8th and be disappointed like we are is honestly something to be proud of. Askey, the back room staff and the players should be very proud of what they’ve achieved in a short amount of time. 
The biggest thanks should go to the Shanahan’s, they have transformed our football club. The work they have done in the club and the community is truly remarkable. I will be forever thankful. Goodness knows what kind of position we would be in if Norman was still here. 
Don’t be too down Valiants, our future is bright and once all this is over, we can continue heading in the right direction. 

• Like 4

Can someone please explain why the EFL have said it would be unfair to relegate Stevenage as there is 9 games left, but it's fair to just promote Teams.
You cannot have 1 law for the top and a totally different law for the bottom.
Disgusting attitude towards the National League.
As for Vale, I love Carols attitude, however what hurts is the fact the play offs are still being played.
I along with quite a few other fans could accept the top 4 going up as it is, but to continue with the play offs, seems a kick in the balls.
And why is it ok for L1 to think about extending there play offs down to 8th position instead of the normal 6th in L1Screenshot_20200515-203326_Twitter.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, butt lane vale fan said:

Can someone please explain why the EFL have said it would be unfair to relegate Stevenage as there is 9 games left, but it's fair to just promote Teams.
You cannot have 1 law for the top and a totally different law for the bottom.
Disgusting attitude towards the National League.
As for Vale, I love Carols attitude, however what hurts is the fact the play offs are still being played.
I along with quite a few other fans could accept the top 4 going up as it is, but to continue with the play offs, seems a kick in the balls.
And why is it ok for L1 to think about extending there play offs down to 8th position instead of the normal 6th in L1Screenshot_20200515-203326_Twitter.jpeg

Exactly. I am with Carol on her statement. But why can't league two be submitted down to 8th for the play offs too. Stevenage should go down I spent 10 months living down there last year they all agree too. 

To be honest, while a tough decision, I suspect the league could’ve just extended the play off spots by 2 places... then played that out at a point in the future.

But as some have said, could they really complete these games given what is going on, unless we get CVID cases and deaths down massively I can’t see it happening until end July earliest

Do miss the buzz of the VALE

VTID x

I respect Carols morals and stance but i really think we should of voted to carry on. Someones obviously gonna get promoted, why not us. Feels like we've given it all away and the season might as well of not happened. Very strange times indeed.

• Like 2

I think the decision is a mistake for various reasons.

Covid may be here for a long long time. The future of football (and life in general) may be different for some time, not just this season. This was an opportunity to see how football could be structured in a way that was safe for all, both players and supporters. To demonstrate we had an immediate future.

Why prioritise next season over this and the decision to promote but not relegate is one I am struggling to get my head around.

It appears that the other leagues are anticipating returning so why are we differentiating ourselves from the bigger leagues where arguable they have greater challenges as bigger clubs have more staff to keep safe.

I have no idea how to run a football club and how the current challenges are affecting each club. Therefore I have to respect the decision made by those in charge but it doesn't stop the disappointment and the questions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If clubs start to play again they would be classed as working therefore the clubs would have to foot the wage bill.A lot of football staff are now furloughed.That would be lost.I personally think it should have been declared null and void .No promotion no relegation.It could be asked if 4 teams can play ,why not the rest?Are Cheltenham,Exeter,Northampton and Colchester safe zones .Looking at today’s Bundesliga restart,farce springs to mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

If clubs start to play again they would be classed as working therefore the clubs would have to foot the wage bill.A lot of football staff are now furloughed.That would be lost.I personally think it should have been declared null and void .No promotion no relegation.It could be asked if 4 teams can play ,why not the rest?Are Cheltenham,Exeter,Northampton and Colchester safe zones .Looking at today’s Bundesliga restart,farce springs to mind.

This is a first... I agree.  

Bill Shankly was wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds to me like they were expecting to get the 4th spot without any playoffs

Cheltenham owner asking for financial help to play in the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, gags 64 said:

Sounds to me like they were expecting to get the 4th spot without any playoffs

He sounded pretty desperate to be honest.All down to money and staff safety.. Cheltenham could play ,lose and then go into admin.Not sure what Vale would do in their position.

Edited by Howjy04
  • Like 1

Each league has to make their own decision, obviously L2  are the poor relations,  mainly reliant on furlough payments to carry on. Playing  5 games to give a sporting finish to the end of the season, possible TV money or hand-out from FA /EFL to fund the games?  L1  a bigger prize at stake with promotion,  Wycombe  game in  hand justifying  more play-off games ?  Prem a different ball game, play or hand back TV money.

Swindon fan in peace. Massive respect to Carol Shanahan. A sensible, pragmatic and and well thought through response to all this. What a contrast to some of the assorted chancers, egomaniacs and plain old fashioned criminals that seem to end up in football these days. As we all know, football is cyclical, and you seem in good hands so have a bright future. See you in the Championship in 2022.

Wouldn't a better solution to playing playoff games that clubs can't afford, Cheltenham already bleating about it, to just promote the top 3 and relegate the bottom 3 from league 1.
Less whinging all round and no clubs go out of business.

4 hours ago, rob1983 said:

I respect Carols morals and stance but i really think we should of voted to carry on. Someones obviously gonna get promoted, why not us. Feels like we've given it all away and the season might as well of not happened. Very strange times indeed.

It would seem if we carried on then several league clubs would have gone bust. That is what changed our decision. Even some of the clubs who are in the play offs are worried that playing these games could end disastrously for them. As it stood, if we had voted to play on we would have been out voted so we haven't given anything away.

Just to let you all know that everyone on the Crewe supporters FB page I contribute to has been very impressed with Carol Shanahan, and many have expressed a wish for you to get promoted next season! Maybe it is time for the two clubs to get on better?

1 hour ago, mbycars said:

It would seem if we carried on then several league clubs would have gone bust. That is what changed our decision. Even some of the clubs who are in the play offs are worried that playing these games could end disastrously for them. As it stood, if we had voted to play on we would have been out voted so we haven't given anything away.

Solidarity  was the principle,  the Vale and Bradford City sacrificed a chance  of the  play-offs for the greater good of L2. League votes sometimes require 80% or unanimous votes so it could have been close.

6 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

If the season had been declared null and void, as with the 1939/40 season, Pope`s goals would have been wiped out with all the results. Staging 5 games is more affordable than all the rest of the league playing on as well.

• Like 1