onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Development squad.

sbilli

Think it would be smart of the club to start up an U-23 development squad. From Smurfs reign is that one of few succsessfull storys. And i think it would be an good benefit for the club. team squad of 22 players and a development squad of 7 players. This would be a great benefit for the future. A step for young players realeased from academys and non league talent, before getting into the 1.team squad. Sending them out on loan and nuture them to become 1. team players.

It wil give us the chance to take a few more risks with young talent, and is in my opinion the future for the club.

Smurf put an end to the project after one season and it gave us a few good squad players and Hugill. It's a good thing to get players into the first team that knows the club well.

Advert

Think it would be smart of the club to start up an U-23 development squad. From Smurfs reign is that one of few succsessfull storys. And i think it would be an good benefit for the club. team squad of 22 players and a development squad of 7 players. This would be a great benefit for the future. A step for young players realeased from academys and non league talent, before getting into the 1.team squad. Sending them out on loan and nuture them to become 1. team players.

It wil give us the chance to take a few more risks with young talent, and is in my opinion the future for the club.

Smurf put an end to the project after one season and it gave us a few good squad players and Hugill. It's a good thing to get players into the first team that knows the club well.

It was decent and obvious paid us/Smurf handsomely in the longer term with Hugill, few of them have gone on to ok careers, Alexander in the National League, O'Neill in Ireland and Campion actually has done well in the Irish league.

Problem we have now is then we had Micky Adams and I think it was someone like Jimmy Bell who was behind it... neither here now so does Askey and Kevan have the nous to do that kind of thing?

You make a good point but we are at base camp at the moment and I'd rather see all our efforts and money go into the first XI next season.

We need to move up the League, offer more entertaining football, and put bums on seats.

Everything else, like the Lorne Street stand, can come later.

It was decent and obvious paid us/Smurf handsomely in the longer term with Hugill, few of them have gone on to ok careers, Alexander in the National League, O'Neill in Ireland and Campion actually has done well in the Irish league.

Problem we have now is then we had Micky Adams and I think it was someone like Jimmy Bell who was behind it... neither here now so does Askey and Kevan have the nous to do that kind of thing?

Campion has had a 10 year career at about 10 appearances per season. To be fair he is a 1 in 4 man, but never looked likely at Port Vale. We have had squads full of too many fringe players bloating squad size into the high 20's and 30's. And that is £250k to £500k down the drain each season. We collected foreign fringe players, then an army of keepers and old players, then an army of centre halves and old players. Need a squad of 23 viable players with 2 people for each position and an extra goalie.

The problem is that any decent players are poached by premier league clubs who have hundreds of hopeful kids dreaming of playing in the Premier League then discard most of them.

Do you think we would have got 9 million for Hugill if he was still playing at the Vale.

Money grabber Smurthwaite would have sold him for a pittance and stuffed the money in his @rse pocket.

The problem is that any decent players are poached by premier league clubs who have hundreds of hopeful kids dreaming of playing in the Premier League then discard most of them.

Do you think we would have got 9 million for Hugill if he was still playing at the Vale.

Money grabber Smurthwaite would have sold him for a pittance and stuffed the money in his @rse pocket.

He did that anyway.

Archived