onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sentinel – Aspin is a contender to be new manager

News Feed

The Sentinel says reports in the North East appear to be wide of the mark and that the Vale legend could be in contention to be the club’s new boss. Earlier on Friday, reports in the North East suggested that Aspin had not been approached for Vale’s vacant managerial position. However, the Sentinel now claims: […]

Click for full article

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

That's not what he's saying, and you know it.

i think that if he is offered the job, he has to take it and risk his legend status. Or is it really at risk ?

What does it matter if a noisy minority of the fans berate a great former player because they were not such a success as a manager.

I honestly don't think any less of Dean Glover or Martin Foyle just because management was not their finest moment - much greater players like Sir Stanley Matthews, Bobby Charlton and Booby Moore all failed as managers.

If you don't take a chance in life, you will always wonder what might have happened.

Micky Adams knows - he went back to try and fulfil his dream at Sheffield United, and failed. It doesn't take anything away from what he did as a success - and if he hadn't tried he would have been agonised wondering what might have happened.

Time to be optimistic, and let's hope we get Neil and it works - but if it doesn't then he will always have an untarnished playing record for me with Vale, as do Dean Glover and Martin Foyle.

I think less of Glover. I still get so much joy when looking back at Aspin's time at Vale and whilst Glover never seemed to be as loved as Aspin was/ is, I'd hate for that reputation to be tarnished like Glover's has been. I'll obviously get completely behind him if he's given the job (as I will whoever gets to sip from the poisoned chalice) but I don't want to jeopardise all those amazing perfect memories of the guy. Also, and I don't want to come across as negative, I'm not sure if he is the right choice. I think people on here seem blinded because one of our best ever players might be coming back to manage us but, I dunno, I'm sceptical. Would absolutely love to be proved wrong though.

That's not what he's saying, and you know it.

Maybe the question for each individual is would you think less of him and would it ruin his reputation if he was not a great manager ?

Because I am sure you know that what some (not all!) people on here think is worth nothing, it is only one's own opinion that matters this time. That isn't always true, but I think it applies here.

I think less of Glover. I still get so much joy when looking back at Aspin's time at Vale and whilst Glover never seemed to be as loved as Aspin was/ is, I'd hate for that reputation to be tarnished like Glover's has been. I'll obviously get completely behind him if he's given the job (as I will whoever gets to sip from the poisoned chalice) but I don't want to jeopardise all those amazing perfect memories of the guy. Also, and I don't want to come across as negative, I'm not sure if he is the right choice. I think people on here seem blinded because one of our best ever players might be coming back to manage us but, I dunno, I'm sceptical. Would absolutely love to be proved wrong though.

Our last posts crossed.

Whether he is the right guy, nobody can know - like you, I wanted somebody with league experience, but NOT several candidates mentioned with league experience like Westly or Paul Ince particularly.

Given the half-reasonable choices and ruling out the likes of Nigel Pearson and Cotterill (who both now have other jobs anyway), also ruling out Adkins and Coleman as unrealistic, Neil Aspin is probably a better bet than say, Justin Edinburgh, Pressley or some others with mixed league successes and failures.

Of course, he hasn't got it yet anyway, but for once it does seem most want him and he would start with a groundswell of support, even some of the serial moaners and ego trip goons on here will give him a chance, wheras they might not with, say, Askey.

I have some reservations too, but would have with any potential manager, andmost of my worries are about how the owner acts during the rest of the season, particularly in January.

This really could be the way forward though, and it really is time we had some good news and some good luck as well.

Yeah, good points. Would prefer Chris Powell although in a way I'm sceptical of any manager that would actually want to join the shitshower that our club has become. Thanks Norman!

Powell would be a great choice, but seems unlikely now.

One of these games it will come right, the little breaks, the ball in the net instead of hitting the bar, Anthony de Freitas mishit shot goes in (not that Im against him), and a ref that gives Pope a few free kicks - too much to ask at Stevenage ?

I'm sure you know what I think of the lovely Norman too, so I won't add any more.

Powell would be a great choice, but seems unlikely now.

One of these games it will come right, the little breaks, the ball in the net instead of hitting the bar, Anthony de Freitas mishit shot goes in (not that Im against him), and a ref that gives Pope a few free kicks - too much to ask at Stevenage ?

I'm sure you know what I think of the lovely Norman too, so I won't add any more.

I watched the debate on Thursday night and Powell was asked whether he would go back into management. He said he wanted to and has had offers and recently turned an offer down in league football.

If that wasn't us, he sure as hell won't be coming to us in our current situation.

I'd like him but it's not going to happen.

As for ADFs shots..... they are up there with some of the worst I've ever seen!

The lads shocking. But that's for another thread.

Here's to hopefully three points today.

I'd love an experienced manager with a strong track record. But we're not going to get one. Joint bottom of the old 4th division, with a support that expects to be at least a league above, we're not going to attract the like of Adkins or Holloway. If one of those were available, we should snap them up. So who are we realistically going to get? You can put it into three camps really: (1) Those who have the experience but have failed multiple times and need a job to get back in to show what they can do. The likes of Paul Ince or Dean Saunders. (2) Those with no experience but have done it as players and want to give management a crack. (3) Those who have done it and served their time at a lower level and want a step up. None of these three categories are perfect, every one is a gamble. We tried category 2 with Page and Brown. We tried category 1 with Bruno. We tried category 3 with Sinnott.

So, where do we go. Personally, I feel that Aspin is the answer. Yes, he's a gamble, but so would everyone else be. He's also not a newbie, he's got 10 years of experience, some at a level only one below where we are now. He's also got a cracking record, with a 40%+ win ratio from teams with no major budget to speak of. But most importantly, he'd bring a bit of the feel-good factor back to The Vale. If Smurf talks about queues at the ticket office for the Grimsby game, you'd get that with Aspo. He'd also get to live on his reputation for a while and be given more time before the vocal minority started to criticise than anyone else.

You can't compare to Foyle or Glover. Both were dropped in at the deep end, and Foyle did very well for a while (remember missing out on the play offs to the Championship for the final day of the season at Rushden and Diamonds in 2003 ish?). Glover was poor but he was never the leader that Aspo was - Glover was a class player but it's often said that quality players find it hard to coach lesser players because they themselves didn't have to think about what they did).

The only reason I can see for NOT appointing him is that people don't want to ruin his reputation as a legend. But he won't. I can feel it. Especially if the rumoured JR or MA as director of football above him comes off.

Aspo all the way. I'll be there v Grimbsy in the queue if he's appointed.

600 games, most at a level we're currently on the brink of, with a fantastic win ratio.

A good record of unearthing gems and making stacks off of them (Vardy).

The short-term boost we need to increase revenue, attendances, and general feeling around the club.

Ability to work on a budget.

It all makes so much sense to me. We aren't going to get someone like Powell. We need to look at the realistic options.

If we appoint Aspin I'll be there against Grimsby and probably buy my first shirt in years. If Smurf doesn't appoint him he needs sectioning.

I'd love an experienced manager with a strong track record. But we're not going to get one. Joint bottom of the old 4th division, with a support that expects to be at least a league above, we're not going to attract the like of Adkins or Holloway. If one of those were available, we should snap them up. So who are we realistically going to get? You can put it into three camps really: (1) Those who have the experience but have failed multiple times and need a job to get back in to show what they can do. The likes of Paul Ince or Dean Saunders. (2) Those with no experience but have done it as players and want to give management a crack. (3) Those who have done it and served their time at a lower level and want a step up. None of these three categories are perfect, every one is a gamble. We tried category 2 with Page and Brown. We tried category 1 with Bruno. We tried category 3 with Sinnott.

So, where do we go. Personally, I feel that Aspin is the answer. Yes, he's a gamble, but so would everyone else be. He's also not a newbie, he's got 10 years of experience, some at a level only one below where we are now. He's also got a cracking record, with a 40%+ win ratio from teams with no major budget to speak of. But most importantly, he'd bring a bit of the feel-good factor back to The Vale. If Smurf talks about queues at the ticket office for the Grimsby game, you'd get that with Aspo. He'd also get to live on his reputation for a while and be given more time before the vocal minority started to criticise than anyone else.

You can't compare to Foyle or Glover. Both were dropped in at the deep end, and Foyle did very well for a while (remember missing out on the play offs to the Championship for the final day of the season at Rushden and Diamonds in 2003 ish?). Glover was poor but he was never the leader that Aspo was - Glover was a class player but it's often said that quality players find it hard to coach lesser players because they themselves didn't have to think about what they did).

The only reason I can see for NOT appointing him is that people don't want to ruin his reputation as a legend. But he won't. I can feel it. Especially if the rumoured JR or MA as director of football above him comes off.

Aspo all the way. I'll be there v Grimbsy in the queue if he's appointed.

Destiny given Aspo's history against Grimsby?

Archived