onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Managers old and New

WalterJ

It's funny to see the comments about Brown as manager I was just thinking how many really good managers I have seen at Vale in nearly 58 years? Freddie Steele and John Rudge perhaps the best. After that for short periods Gordon Lee, Micky Adams and Brian Horton did a good job. I can remember some stinkers like Glover,Butler, Gannon, Sinnott, even Stanley Matthews wasn't very good. I will give Brown a bit more time although I am not a happy clapper. Brown has what I think are good players certainly a lot better than the free transfer budget that Gordon Lee and even Adams had to get us out of this division. If Brown can't gel a good team out of these players then he should go!

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Advert

Interesting Freddie Steele was a great motivator but his buying and selling policy was dreadful. What he did in 1963/64 was appalling. His ridiculous assertion of no buy no sell in the summer of 1954 wasted the greatest opportunity this club ever had to get to the top level. In my view the greatest managers, in order, are:

John Rudge

Gordon Lee

Norman Low

Micky Adams

John McGrath

Brian Horton

Interesting Freddie Steele was a great motivator but his buying and selling policy was dreadful. What he did in 1963/64 was appalling. His ridiculous assertion of no buy no sell in the summer of 1954 wasted the greatest opportunity this club ever had to get to the top level. In my view the greatest managers, in order, are:

John Rudge

Gordon Lee

Norman Low

Micky Adams

John McGrath

Brian Horton

Freddie Steele was in charge for our greatest ever season so he has to be in the top five. When your team loses four games all season, including once in an FA Cup semi-final, using 11 players + 1 reserve then how do you strengthen? He did try buying expensive players later on but they just couldn't integrate into the team. Rudge would probably have taken us into the top-flight from that position, but not many others would have.

Rudgie by far is the greatest manager the Vale have ever had. The quality of his teams and the manner in which they played still causes the hairs on the back my neck to stand up. Wonderful memories. Rudgie could also spot a quality player at bargain basement prices. Built about 3 or 4 top teams in his management period. On the resources he had one of the greatest managers of all time period.

Rudge is the best manager we have ad in my lifetime by a county mile but he did have a very good set up with him including an excellent scout. Mickey Adams did a very good job with what he had and Brian Horton made some very good signings but unfortunately we couldn't keep hold of them.

IMO Sinnott is the worst we have had and proven by what he has done since he left us (nothing).

Freddie Steele was in charge for our greatest ever season so he has to be in the top five. When your team loses four games all season, including once in an FA Cup semi-final, using 11 players + 1 reserve then how do you strengthen? He did try buying expensive players later on but they just couldn't integrate into the team. Rudge would probably have taken us into the top-flight from that position, but not many others would have.

Wrex I am not anti Freddie Steele but look at who signed the team from 54. It was Gordon Hosts in. I acknowledge his powers of motivation and coaching skills. Second to none. His record of selecting and signing players was truly dreadful. In 1963 he took Norman Lowe's team to 3rd in Dic 3. He could motivate and plan great match tactics but the rest of his management record and ability to build a team was poor. All about opinions of course and I am aware i am in a minority but Freddie's overall record was not good. Both times he left us in a far worse position than he found us.

Wrex I am not anti Freddie Steele but look at who signed the team from 54. It was Gordon Hosts in. I acknowledge his powers of motivation and coaching skills. Second to none. His record of selecting and signing players was truly dreadful. In 1963 he took Norman Lowe's team to 3rd in Dic 3. He could motivate and plan great match tactics but the rest of his management record and ability to build a team was poor. All about opinions of course and I am aware i am in a minority but Freddie's overall record was not good. Both times he left us in a far worse position than he found us.

Perhaps his signings left a lot to be desired but he came in with the club bottom of the Football League and left with the club in the relegation zone of the Second Division. Not ideal but certainly a big improvement. Second time round he took the team from mid-table to relegation strugglers, so yes a decline, but he was struggling with depression at the time and wasn't the same man by all accounts.

Horton should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Rudge. Horton was a poor manager who tried to rewrite history following bad defeats. In my 55 years watching Vale, Rudge is clearly the best we have had. I had a lot of time for Gordon Lee, albeit with a more pragmatic style. McGrath lifted spirits with his ebullient attitude, but no one comes close to Rudge.

Most managers end in failure, it is the journey that matters, Nobby got the match planning right using mainly Hodgsons players, improving the team in the old Div2 was a different matter when relying mainly on local players and a set pattern of play. Baily did not fit in but took Forest up to the top Div. Managers who have won championships deserve respect, but the longest serving manager at a club is usually their best.

Most managers end in failure, it is the journey that matters, Nobby got the match planning right using mainly Hodgsons players, improving the team in the old Div2 was a different matter when relying mainly on local players and a set pattern of play. Baily did not fit in but took Forest up to the top Div. Managers who have won championships deserve respect, but the longest serving manager at a club is usually their best.

I respect Freddie but his record does not compare to Rudge Lee Adams McGrath in terms of league output. Norman Low is the most under rated. The money wasted and ridiculous transfer policy in 1963 are amongst the darkest time in our history

I respect Freddie but his record does not compare to Rudge Lee Adams McGrath in terms of league output. Norman Low is the most under rated. The money wasted and ridiculous transfer policy in 1963 are amongst the darkest time in our history

Very true, I always expected us to go far with Low, and liked the style, but internal matters brought it to an end.

Rudge is the best manager we have ad in my lifetime by a county mile but he did have a very good set up with him including an excellent scout. Mickey Adams did a very good job with what he had and Brian Horton made some very good signings but unfortunately we couldn't keep hold of them.

IMO Sinnott is the worst we have had and proven by what he has done since he left us (nothing).

I agree. People talk about how bad gannon and glover were (though unlike sinnott, they didnt have a pre season to build their own side), and they were bad, but Sinnott was a truly shocking manager. Awful signings and I dont seem to recall seeing anything resembling tactics. THe stories of his training sessions are cringe worthy. And I have never seen a player as out of his depth as Chris Slater.

I agree. People talk about how bad gannon and glover were (though unlike sinnott, they didnt have a pre season to build their own side), and they were bad, but Sinnott was a truly shocking manager. Awful signings and I dont seem to recall seeing anything resembling tactics. THe stories of his training sessions are cringe worthy. And I have never seen a player as out of his depth as Chris Slater.

Sinnot signed Dodds McCombe Taylor Collins Griffiths. That is a pretty decent list. Adams kept all of them for his promotion team. I whole heartedly disagree with describing them as awful signings. Their record is decent to good. Sinnnot had his failings but he recognised some decent players

Archived