onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Budget

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

And what did they cost - about the same as the toilet paper you wrote that post on ? That post says everything. It is a post that is petty, feckless, infantile, small-minded and puerile and in no way relates to the aid issue.

I'm afraid I don't have £5.2m to spend on bog rolls.I get mine from Aldi. 😁

10% betting tax? Poland have just introduced a 12% tax and major bookmakers like Pinnacle are pulling out of there asap.

As much as they are aligned with our bitter rivals, let's not forget that an attack on the betting industry is an attack on Stoke-on-Trent given the number of jobs supported by Bet365 in the city.

This was discussed on here before. If the tax were levied on the bet and payable in the country of the person placing the bet then it's feasible but of course that would go to the coffers in the country of the person placing the bet not the base of the betting company.

However, online companies are very good at finding legal ways to avoid tax and I could see them being attracted to countries without such taxes to make themselves more attractive to gamblers compared to their rivals as well as seeking to pay less tax on their turnover/profits and so ultimately we might get less money in than we do from them now. Plus as you say the loss of jobs when they relocate would mean we get even less tax.

It's a fine line

This was discussed on here before. If the tax were levied on the bet and payable in the country of the person placing the bet then it's feasible but of course that would go to the coffers in the country of the person placing the bet not the base of the betting company.

However, online companies are very good at finding legal ways to avoid tax and I could see them being attracted to countries without such taxes to make themselves more attractive to gamblers compared to their rivals as well as seeking to pay less tax on their turnover/profits and so ultimately we might get less money in than we do from them now. Plus as you say the loss of jobs when they relocate would mean we get even less tax.

It's a fine line

Fair points, but if this government can find a way to cut disability payments by billions and replace DLA with a complex and almost unworkable PIP system (delayed by years) then a simple closing of loopholes on Betting Tax shouldn't be beyond them.

I don't buy the 'local jbs' lost argument either - Bet365 wont go broke, and maybe will fritter less on Stoke City. The people saying this - where were you when the local area lost all its mines and pottery production? That was far more serious - I doubt if a small bet tax would cost ANY joibs at Bet365.

We cannot tell other countries what to spend their money on. I'd suggest you look to Saudi Arabia for corruption, arms deals and general injustice before India.

Even if your figures above are partially true, there are a number of points that should be taken into account -

1. India is entitled to preferential treatment for being a former Empire-raped country that also provided millions of men to fight for Britain in WW1 nd WW2 - in the BBC link below, it suggests 2 million men - and they didn't turn up 2 years late both times like certain 'allies'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-33105898

2. If aid were given properly and not by 'bargaining deals' then for instance, Water Aid identified 1000 villages that don't have clean water in 20 countries (some in India perhaps,too) , then allow British firms to install those facilities, any corruption would be cut out.

Not giving foreign aid because of your corruption/waste argument is like denying a baby food because its mother is in prison.

What a load of absolute garbage yet again.

Foreign aid is a joke and should be stopped completely until we can be sure it is going to the people who need it most.

Hopefully when we cut ties with the European Union Empire-rapists we can start trading with places like India and have a mutually beneficial, sustainable and ethical way of providing funds and employment to people who need it.

Fair points, but if this government can find a way to cut disability payments by billions and replace DLA with a complex and almost unworkable PIP system (delayed by years) then a simple closing of loopholes on Betting Tax shouldn't be beyond them.

I don't buy the 'local jbs' lost argument either - Bet365 wont go broke, and maybe will fritter less on Stoke City. The people saying this - where were you when the local area lost all its mines and pottery production? That was far more serious - I doubt if a small bet tax would cost ANY joibs at Bet365.

If you don't think that a 10% tax on betting winning might lead to a reduction in turnover, which would lead to a reduction in jobs in the betting industry then you really shouldn't talk about something you have no idea about.

I honestly can't tell if you are trolling half the time.

Taxing the gambling industry any more would be disastrous for the UK.

We should be discussing how we can adjust tax to tempt back those bookies that felt the need to go offshore.

I honestly can't tell if you are trolling half the time.

Taxing the gambling industry any more would be disastrous for the UK.

We should be discussing how we can adjust tax to tempt back those bookies that felt the need to go offshore.

Surely they go abroad to pay lower wages? Do we need a way of taxing UK bets that are made offshore?

We cannot tell other countries what to spend their money on. I'd suggest you look to Saudi Arabia for corruption, arms deals and general injustice before India.

Even if your figures above are partially true, there are a number of points that should be taken into account -

1. India is entitled to preferential treatment for being a former Empire-raped country that also provided millions of men to fight for Britain in WW1 nd WW2 - in the BBC link below, it suggests 2 million men - and they didn't turn up 2 years late both times like certain 'allies'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-33105898

2. If aid were given properly and not by 'bargaining deals' then for instance, Water Aid identified 1000 villages that don't have clean water in 20 countries (some in India perhaps,too) , then allow British firms to install those facilities, any corruption would be cut out.

Not giving foreign aid because of your corruption/waste argument is like denying a baby food because its mother is in prison.

Don't think we give any Foreign Aid to Saudi Arabia do we?

Do you want us to keep borrowing money so that we can fund rich and corrupt countries like India,Pakistan Afghanistan and Nigeria,in the hope that it reaches the people that need it most?

Surely they go abroad to pay lower wages? Do we need a way of taxing UK bets that are made offshore?

Yes, of course we do - but dare to suggest something the least bit radical on here with the 'narrow-thought' brigade and you get blasted with 'What a load of garbage' etc.

If people find it cheaper to bet offshore then tax it higher than here. Simple.

And Bet365 can go and take a hike - its blackmail from emotive posters to use the threat of job losses if their profits are cut a bit, they could consider just not funding SCFC's away trips. By your argument, we should allow heroin sales at Asda to avoid any afghan farmers losing their jobs.

Why so defensive about a betting tax anyway? better to tax that than essentials and better than taking away vital cash from low-earning self-employed people.

It amazes me how any new or radical proposals bring out such a neandethal reaction in certain brainwashed Daily Express and Sun-reader type of posters.

If only the aid went directly to the people in need and not to corrupt governments to buy weapons.

That is exactly what I said, but take into account that Britain is one of the worlds biggest arms dealers and aid is often given after secret negotiations that it will be used to buy British arms and not other nations.

I don't think India, Pakistan, Afghanistan or Nigeria would be on many people's list of 'rich' nations, but your own unique take on things seems to place them there.

We can't cut off all aid because some is misused, its often done in collusion with people here, and ideally tha aid should be given as vehicles, food, building projects and NOT cash.

Why do you count foreign aid as coming from money this warmongering government borrows, when you would no doubt deny that the useless and unnecessary Trident is being built on hundreds of times more borrowed money ?

If you don't think that a 10% tax on betting winning might lead to a reduction in turnover, which would lead to a reduction in jobs in the betting industry then you really shouldn't talk about something you have no idea about.

What an arrogant post - are you an expert in the effects of tax rates on employment ? There used to be a betting tax before, and it is needed again.

Any fool can reply and say 'You don't know what you are talking about' - convince me with an argument and both I and others might listen, but somehow your sort never have logic to back up bluster and rhetoric.

Archived