onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gary Rowett

My comment was about perspectives. I was being impartial.

From the outside people comment on Zola and most seem to think he's doing an appalling job.

I was thinking of people from outside any attachment to Vale. I'm sure an impartial observer would feel that Brown has done a similar job to Zola; a poor one. Hence my question mark at the end of the last sentence of my original post.

It's probably people who comment on Zola's tenure by looking at his record that say his appointment has been a disaster, who because of their intrinsic ties to Vale believe Brown to be doing a better job even though the records, however short, are poor.

My thoughts stem from a conversation from a non Vale supporter who when looking at our position in the table has written Vale off as 'already relegated.'

His argument being that if Vale had only won 2 of the last 18 games, how on earth do they expect to win 5-6 matches from the final 13? He also pointed out that Brown had won 1 in 11. His argument this time was Brown is incapable of winning 5-6 matches from the last 13.

Seeing things from his point of view (a perspective) I thought yes, he is probably correct. If I substituted any other teams' name in Port Vale's position and I had no affiliation with that club then I would be writing their chances of survival off, based on recent team performance and current managerial record.

So, instead of being all defensive about our manager/team all I was commenting on was, by applying the logic of reason without love and loyalty the manager is not doing particularly well and the team is destined for League 2.

Advert

From the outside people comment on Zola and most seem to think he's doing an appalling job.

I was thinking of people from outside any attachment to Vale. I'm sure an impartial observer would feel that Brown has done a similar job to Zola; a poor one. Hence my question mark at the end of the last sentence of my original post.

It's probably people who comment on Zola's tenure by looking at his record that say his appointment has been a disaster, who because of their intrinsic ties to Vale believe Brown to be doing a better job even though the records, however short, are poor.

My thoughts stem from a conversation from a non Vale supporter who when looking at our position in the table has written Vale off as 'already relegated.'

His argument being that if Vale had only won 2 of the last 18 games, how on earth do they expect to win 5-6 matches from the final 13? He also pointed out that Brown had won 1 in 11. His argument this time was Brown is incapable of winning 5-6 matches from the last 13.

Seeing things from his point of view (a perspective) I thought yes, he is probably correct. If I substituted any other teams' name in Port Vale's position and I had no affiliation with that club then I would be writing their chances of survival off, based on recent team performance and current managerial record.

So, instead of being all defensive about our manager/team all I was commenting on was, by applying the logic of reason without love and loyalty the manager is not doing particularly well and the team is destined for League 2.

With respect that is a long winded explanation to try to justify that which cannot be justified. There is no comparison between the situations inherited by the two managers. I think Port Vale are destined for League 2 but I do not think this means Michael Brown is not doing a decent job. I remember in John Rudge's first few months as caretaker manager before being confirmed, we got relegated, fortunately the Chairman stuck with him and we got our best ever manager.

The comparison between Zola and Brown was always likely to lead to a strong defence of Michael Brown.

There's plenty right in what he says, but as a fan surely we have to offer come counter-logic and one-eyed optimism?

Teams immediately above us have won 9 or less and from more games, so they can't be too confident of winning more than 2/3 more.

We've still got 6 home games and 13 in all - 18 points at home, and 33 in total to play for.

If we can win 4 and draw 3 that would put us on 50 points, which I'm confident would be enough to stay up.

I think Cov and Chesterfield are goners, and I think it's between us, Swindon, Bury and Oldham.

My hope and heart says Swindon and Bury.

With respect that is a long winded explanation to try to justify that which cannot be justified. There is no comparison between the situations inherited by the two managers. I think Port Vale are destined for League 2 but I do not think this means Michael Brown is not doing a decent job. I remember in John Rudge's first few months as caretaker manager before being confirmed, we got relegated, fortunately the Chairman stuck with him and we got our best ever manager.

The comparison between Zola and Brown was always likely to lead to a strong defence of Michael Brown.

With respect.

If you look at the thread I was merely commenting on what was being said about Zola. I never made an original comparison between Zola and Brown. I posed a question. I did not make a statement. My comment was to do with perspectives. Everyone sees things differently and sometimes it's good to see things through other peoples eyes. It helps gain a true perspective.

With respect.

If you look at the thread I was merely commenting on what was being said about Zola. I never made an original comparison between Zola and Brown. I posed a question. I did not make a statement. My comment was to do with perspectives. Everyone sees things differently and sometimes it's good to see things through other peoples eyes. It helps gain a true perspective.

It's funny how people have different perspectives about track records. Our new manager has a worse record than Zola yet some people think he's doing a good job?

Again with due respect, I enclose underneath your last post your post on this matter. You are the person who made a direct comparison of records between Zola and Michael Brown no one else did and your post immediately above clearly shows this. Secondly you made a statement and put a question mark at the end of it. I have read your sentence many times and it does not contain a question, it is simply a statement. Without being picky, judged on the content of the sentence it should have ended in an exclamation mark.

I accept the points you have made subsequently and football is about opinions and comparisons and a healthy debate is always good. I know that we often make quick responses on here and in this case I think you made a quick response which resulted in what you actually wrote not reflecting what you actually meant. I, and others, can only respond to what others write not to what they intend. In terms of your later clarification that you were asking a question, then my original response remains the same. You cannot compare the records of Michael Brown and Zola because the circumstances of their succession are so markedly different.

I know my response may seem pedantic, but I think this illustrates perfectly well how intent and content on social media posts can be easily dissected and cause angst. Fortunately in this case we are two sensible adults who did not throw our dollies out and we are able to have an exchange of views and maintain politeness and respect.

Phew...............if only everyone on here would recognise that we all want a successful Port Vale on and off the field.

I apologise if I have not made myself entirely clear. Sometimes things get lost in translation.

I do believe that with an impartial head on the logic and records point to Vale getting relegated. However, with rose coloured Vale specs I still hope we can somehow turn it around. I would love it to happen and I would love to pat Michael Brown on the back in May and say 'that was a little miracle, well done'

To be honest, I don't really give a damn about Brum or Zola. I will never use either in the same sentence as Port Vale ever again. Unless of course it's on a matchday thread if we ever play them again.

If I was Rowett there is no way I'd go there' date=' he's doomed to finish 2nd at best for a long time to come and anything else will be a huge failure.[/quote']

Perhaps he hasn't got an underlying psychotic hatred that may be religious based for Rangers and might actually enjoy working there.

Perhaps he hasn't got an underlying psychotic hatred that may be religious based for Rangers and might actually enjoy working there.

Wow - REP posts, and one of the amateur psychologists that infest this site - deducing someone's state of mind from a few posts on here - leap into action!

With regards to the comparison between Zola's record, and M Brown's record: 1st 11 games only - Zola P11 W1 D4 L6 (inc 2 FAC games); M Brown P11 W1 D5 L5 (inc 1 FAC game) like-for-like comparisons are so much better, if they need to be done at all. Zola's total record is skewed because he's been in charge for more games and has won 2 of those extra games, recently.

Wow - REP posts, and one of the amateur psychologists that infest this site - deducing someone's state of mind from a few posts on here - leap into action!

To be fair REP has a 'dislike' where Rangers are concerned and usually jumps at any opportunity to have one of his sly digs.

Archived