onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Arsene Wenger

boslemportvale91

I thought his team selection was odd. But I feel the Premier League effect is also present. Very competitive league, no Christmas rest, players running out of steam v German team who dominate the German league year after year and can approach the Champions League fresh every game.

Cue Klopp promoting winter break for PL next season.

Advert

I can see why some Arsenal fans feel he ought to go - but I think they're a little short-sighted, and more than a little greedy! If you asked, probably, 86 sets of fans if they'd be happy with top 4 Prem League finishes; qualification for the European Champions League; home gates of 60k+ in a superb new stadium and regular Cup quarter- and semi-final appearances, and the odd Cup final win - pretty much every year, plus getting to see some of the best players in England play in your team, year after year, I thin they'd take that! Andyregs is right - he was very far ahead with the way he oversaw all aspects of the game. His only real faults were forgetting his legendary defence was ageing, and not bringing adequate replacements in; then not really replacing Viera or Fabregas, and staying loyal to a group of kids who failed to fulfil their massive potential. A great servant of the game, and his team, and the football his teams played - especially with Thierry and Co - was superb, for the most part. I know he's had his faults - but I would have loved him to manage the Vale!

I have to disagree. The reason Wenger should leave is the for the same reason Pulis left Stoke, they have become stagnant. Wenger has had the tools to develop a progressive squad but hasn't, in fact a lot of young English talent as stalled becuase of him- arguably Walcott, Oxelaide-Chamberlain, Wilshire and Gibbs are not the players they could and should be.

The sensible thing for him to do is announce his departure now. If he did that they could send him off in celebration of this past glories, not baying for his blood like he's never meant anything to them.

His replacement is a tricky one mind

I think he'll go.

I can't get my head around the fact that he knows what a title winning team looks like but in recent years has never recruited the necessary physical presence in defence or at centre back that will allow his flair players to flourish. It seems very odd that his teams are completely unbalanced and now a soft touch.

Spot on

Paul Merson was interviewed on Talksport this week and to my surprise he was saying that Redknapp was a far better coach tactically than Wenger, I've always seen Redknapp as a "get out there work hard and get stuck into them" type of coach and Wenger as the "thinker"..maybe not?

Or maybe Wenger over thinks and so doesn't see the need for a grafter in midfield to win the battles there? I've often thought that the really top teams as well as being very effective in possession are also very effective when they haven't got the ball..Arsenal seem clueless when the better opposition teams are in possession; they don't have a Keane, Souness, Kante, Vieira, Gilberto to make life hard for the opposition.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/16/arsenal-legend-paul-person-claims-harry-redknapp-was-a-better-tactician-than-arsene-wenger-6451671/

That said his achievements are remarkable and I hope he is remembered as an outstanding manager who has tried hard to build attacking teams that have been a delight to watch. Thank you, Arsene.

Yes at times his teams have been a joy to watch and he certainly brought modern ideas to England around preparation, diet etc

Said about 8 or 9 seasons ago Arsenal will never win the league or Champions League again under Wenger. Great coach but tactically naive and cannot hack the pressure, he won the league by adding flare to George Grahams defence, since he lost the likes of Adams, Keown, Winterburn and Dixon he has never had a solid back four good enough to win any big major. For a club of their support and cost of tickets they should be winning major trophies a lot more frequently, big under achievers under Wenger.

Archived