onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Burton 1 - Port Vale 1: post match comments

Tenement Funster

Sounded like a good match especially second half on radio Stoke,fair result and well done TOMMO for keeping the score down to 1. I am happy with a point,it keeps our feet firmly on the floor and shows it's not going to be an easy ride this season. RW said there was 1500 fans there so well done to all those who went. :yes:

Advert

Sounded like a good match especially second half on radio Stoke,fair result and well done TOMMO for keeping the score down to 1. I am happy with a point,it keeps our feet firmly on the floor and shows it's not going to be an easy ride this season. RW said there was 1500 fans there so well done to all those who went. :yes:

Some "faces" with the home crowd too. You know who you are..............respect.

So, 1500 plus.:yes:

Here's something to consider. We started with a back 3 with wing backs like we did last year. I think that Burton thought this through and strectch us wide leaving Yeates in particular exposed and they created chances as a result. Why didn't Adams change it the - like he had to last season? He should have in my opinion. Pushing McDonald into midfield to protect the back 4 would have the realesed Roberts to attack. What do you think?

Loft was fantastic

feel like two points dropped last nite, ok Tommo made three great saves,thats what hes there for, we had three great chances to just tap it in, but failed to do that. could easily have scored 3-4 goals . Popey! well ,probably another time they would have gone in. Lofty is turning in some great performances,easily our best player so far this seson.

A definite tale of two halves, to use the age old cliche. The first half we were awful and never looked like scoring. Second half it could have been at least 4-4. Tommo kept us in it and we missed some glaring chances, and worryingly we didn't test their keeper as much as they tested ours which isn't a positive. I was also worried by how badly our defence dealt with their pace.

I do think yesterday was two points dropped based on the chances we missed, and I think it shows we're still a work in progress and have a lot to do if we're to match the hype some fans seem to be placing on us. If we're to challenge for the top 7 though we need to win our next two games because September is going to be a very challenging month.

Tomlinson - 8 - Excellent

Yates - 6 - Hardest job against their best player, did well I thought

Collins - 6 - Average.

McCombe - 5 - Was not commanding enough, backed off their players

Owen - 5 - As above

McDonald - 6 - Commanding in the area. Impressive.

Roberts - 5 - Poor - enough said

Griffith - 6 - Average

Loft - 9 - Quality

Pope - 6 - Would have been an 8 except he missed three sitters

Rigg - 5 - Grafted, but overall poor

First game in over 18 months following my exile and a very decent game of football it was too. Probably a fair result on balance - we were poor first half but much better second half. They were not a bad side and played better football than us throughout although not as direct - 2 very decent wingers and if their forwards could finish then we would have lost. Loft was excellent, McDonald I thought also looked good, Tomlinson kept us in it.

Yates - 5 - Done many times on the right and delivery was poor at times.

This concerns me. I couldn't get to the match because of work but did get to listen on the radio. I heard them rave about Yates making a goal saving tackle in the second half and every other time he was mentioned, it was about his consistency on the night, how he kept Meghora out of the game for them and by the end had pushed their dangerous winger back into defensive duties, I heard themn mention a poor delivery from him once in the second half but heard more about poor deliveries from roberts than Yates!

why does he get such a bad press? Is he the next whipping boy for no reason what-so-ever amongst the fans? By the end of the match, the commentators easily had Loft as MOTM, but they had Yates up there in second or third. Why such a differing opinion?

This concerns me. I couldn't get to the match because of work but did get to listen on the radio. I heard them rave about Yates making a goal saving tackle in the second half and every other time he was mentioned, it was about his consistency on the night, how he kept Meghora out of the game for them and by the end had pushed their dangerous winger back into defensive duties, I heard themn mention a poor delivery from him once in the second half but heard more about poor deliveries from roberts than Yates!

why does he get such a bad press? Is he the next whipping boy for no reason what-so-ever amongst the fans? By the end of the match, the commentators easily had Loft as MOTM, but they had Yates up there in second or third. Why such a differing opinion?

He was up against a very good winger - tricky and quick. Meant he couldn't really get forward and when he did nothing much came of it. I do remember a particualry great tackle though, probably what RS were talking about.

Archived