onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Burton 1 - Port Vale 1: post match comments

Tenement Funster

Fair enough, Yates is usually good and consistent but last night me and the fans around me all though he was poor and worse than the others defenders, im not having a go at yates as he is generally good but he was not good at all yesterday. Even if he is marking their best player it dosent make a difference he shouldnt be letting him get so many crosses in, as I say im not having a go as he is a good player but was poor yesterday!

all the fans round me though yates did well and owen & mccombe did not

Advert

Tbh I felt he deserved booing (as did the whole Burton team who were allowed to do whatever they liked by the Ref - we should have had 4 penalties) as his injury was caused by himself making a late lunge on Rob Taylor

What so he deserved booing for a late tackle in which he has broken his ankle, Jesus!

Wouldn't the ball of run through for a one on one against their keeper though had he not handled it?

Is that not a clear goalscoring opportunity?

Confusing rules.

The key word is DENIAL. The handball did not deny Vale a clear goalscoring opportunity because Vale still went on and had a clear goalscoring opportunity. Therefore there was no chance denied and therefore under the letter of the law the referee could not have sent him off.

So the referee interpreted the law correctly on this occasion. Deliberate handball is only a yellow card (unsporting behaviour) unless it is denying a goal or a goalscoring opportunity in which case it becomes a red card. Likewise if a player handles it on the line deliberately but another player scores the rebound, the player is only booked and not sent off.

Fair enough, Yates is usually good and consistent but last night me and the fans around me all though he was poor and worse than the others defenders, im not having a go at yates as he is generally good but he was not good at all yesterday. Even if he is marking their best player it dosent make a difference he shouldnt be letting him get so many crosses in, as I say im not having a go as he is a good player but was poor yesterday!

That's ok, I understand, everyone has an opinion and yours is based on this one games.

But I do get concerned about how Vale fans have a tendency to select a player each season for a witch hunt. last season it was Justin Richards, in seasons before we have had Leon Constantine, Sam Togwell, Kevin Kent, Lee Mills, etc, etc, etc. every season, one seems to be the butt of general abuse and it always starts at the end of the previous season, I have no idea why, but more often than not it is for unjustified reasons (The attacker who scores loads of goals but can't defend, The winger who can beat any man and deliver a great cross but doesn't score enough, the defender who consistently delivers and works hard but doesn't deliver quality crosses). For God's sake, if we had players who could do eveything with perfect quality, would we be in this division? But matched against others in this division, they are of great quality!

These players usually end up getting hounded out of the club and I'm concerned that Yates' name is next on the boo-boys list!

That's ok, I understand, everyone has an opinion and yours is based on this one games.

But I do get concerned about how Vale fans have a tendency to select a player each season for a witch hunt. last season it was Justin Richards, in seasons before we have had Leon Constantine, Sam Togwell, Kevin Kent, Lee Mills, etc, etc, etc. every season, one seems to be the butt of general abuse and it always starts at the end of the previous season, I have no idea why, but more often than not it is for unjustified reasons (The attacker who scores loads of goals but can't defend, The winger who can beat any man and deliver a great cross but doesn't score enough, the defender who consistently delivers and works hard but doesn't deliver quality crosses). For God's sake, if we had players who could do eveything with perfect quality, would we be in this division? But matched against others in this division, they are of great quality!

As I say I dont think Yates will he has been consistently good for us.

These players usually end up getting hounded out of the club and I'm concerned that Yates' name is next on the boo-boys list!

I dont think Yates will be on that list, he is generally good and consistent.

I dont think Yates will be on that list, he is generally good and consistent.

I hope so! I wish the rest of the players were as consistent as he is. Very rare for him to have an off day!

But onto other areas about the game, if richards is fit for the next game, following the last 2 games, who, if anyone, would/should be dropped? My concern is that playing Pope and Richards is playing 2 players of a similar style, although I think Richards is a more natural finisher than Pope, he is not as natural a finisher as Rigg or Dodds.

I hope so! I wish the rest of the players were as consistent as he is. Very rare for him to have an off day!

But onto other areas about the game, if richards is fit for the next game, following the last 2 games, who, if anyone, would/should be dropped? My concern is that playing Pope and Richards is playing 2 players of a similar style, although I think Richards is a more natural finisher than Pope, he is not as natural a finisher as Rigg or Dodds.

Ive always wanted Dodds in the team, simply because of his finishing however when Richards is fit, I would play Rigg and Richards, Pope hasnt been too bad but he should be taking more chances, so I would go for Marc and Rigg on saturday.

Archived