onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurthwaite has "final say" on "fair" offer to Enoch Andoh

News Feed

Port Vale chairman Norman Smurthwaite says that Enoch Andoh has been offered a "fair and reasonable" offer has been made to Enoch Andoh. After Smurthwaite indicated that the winger had not agreed a new contract, Andoh's agent made an appeal on Twitter for the club to negotiate. However, it appears that the Vale owner is […]

More...

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

Is it me or am I the only one who finds it deeply ironic that Norman is tweeting to complain about someone else using Twitter to conduct "contract negotiations"...

Keep banging that drum against Norm and his PR don't we...

Yes. If I strongly disagree with something there's a decent chance I will keep "banging that drum"

My ultimate wish is simply for Vale to be successful and I don't think the chairman constantly using Twitter helps in that regard.

I don't think that a professional football club should be relying almost solely on a personal Twitter account to update its fans. If Twitter is used at all then it should be the official account and in conjunction with any other media (radio, print, online) at the club's disposal. In other words, it should use every avenue it can to communicate.

You may disagree with me but a forum is a place to have opinions and in my opinion if the club wants to use media and PR professionally to attract fans and engage them then this is totally the wrong approach.

We have Stoke with slick marketing aiming to attract the next generation of fans so Vale need to rise to the challenge and try and attract kids and new fans and looking unprofessional is not going to help in my opinion.

But there is a saying "People who live in glass houses etc" . If Norman wants to use Twitter is not a problem, but seems he must run into trouble by conducting player contract details on line, if an agent does so he should be told to do it privately.

I get the whole "wanting to succeed" thing but sniping at him on here is hardly a productive way of getting your point across. I'm sick of it too; how many times over the last couple have weeks have tweets saying "this signing" or "that signing" not happened when they said they were going to be? It's madness because people get frustrated.

Rob must be one of the few fans who he'd actually listen to, a position that could/ should be used to advise the Chairman. Seriously, who is better placed to comment on using the web to reach Vale fans?

I get the whole "wanting to succeed" thing but sniping at him on here is hardly a productive way of getting your point across.

Why do you think I haven't made my points direct to him? Perhaps I have made my point in private too?

If that theoretically is the case, a personal Twitter account is still used and I know he reads OVF, then why shouldn't I keep "hammering" the point home. It may be boring, it may be repetitive but that (in my opinion) doesn't mean it's not important.

We genuinely face having a lost generation of fans if Stoke (who are upfront about targeting young kids) get a totally free run at this. Sure there is no "magic bullet" and Stoke are likely to get most kids onboard but Vale could at least do some damage limitation if they at least use all the resources at their disposal, not just pick one (Twitter).

I have no experience of running a football club so I can't comment from any position of strength on how he should do that. However, I find it most bizarre when a self-confessed "rubbish at PR" person a) thinks he is the best person to tweet news and updates and b) won't listen to advice from people (not just me) who do or did work in marketing, PR and media and know from experience about the best way to conduct the media side of things.

as I've said before £500 is about the national minimum wage plus expenses so Norman could offer a bit more if possible don't suppose it would break the bank but it's up to him of course.Wouldn't mind an update on how the lad is doing with his rehab.

as I've said before £500 is about the national minimum wage plus expenses so Norman could offer a bit more if possible don't suppose it would break the bank but it's up to him of course.Wouldn't mind an update on how the lad is doing with his rehab.

No it isn't!!! He's 23 so it's £6.70 an hour, based on a 40 hour week that's £268 and expenses are not nearly 100% of wages!

Stop lying to back up your argument

It's not just Vale. I've just seen this Grimsby tweet via the mighty Cod Almighty (tagline - "independent, non-commercial and fed up since 2002") one of, if not the best independent fans sites out there:

Minimum wage, u having a laugh? This situation is a tough one to sum up because I can sympathize with both sides on one hand Smurf has offered a wage the average person of his age can easily live off but in doing that has hoped to secure a player for 2 years who at 100% could easily go on to earn ten times that a week but understandably he is reluctant to commit to paying him anymore because we have no idea given the injury he had if it's robbed him his chance of fulfilling his potential. On the other hand Enoch may be feeling fighting fit and knowing the attention that was being shown in him prior to the injury and the type of money he could have been demanding it must be incredibly difficult to commit yourself to a club for 2 years on that kind of money if your confident that your fully over the injury hence I can see why his agent came back with the offer to play for that until January to prove his fitness and earn a better contract at Vale or an even better one at a bigger club but of course we lose the best player to come through our ranks for a long time for next to nothing so I can see why Smurf doesn't fancy that. Personally I hope Smurf just gives that little bit to secure Enoch for the Vale cus the lad not only is lucky enough to have talent but gives 100% and that's rare for a so called flair player plus he's stated he loves it at Vale so I say come on guys reach a compromise and UP THE VALE!

Minimum wage, u having a laugh? This situation is a tough one to sum up because I can sympathize with both sides on one hand Smurf has offered a wage the average person of his age can easily live off but in doing that has hoped to secure a player for 2 years who at 100% could easily go on to earn ten times that a week but understandably he is reluctant to commit to paying him anymore because we have no idea given the injury he had if it's robbed him his chance of fulfilling his potential. On the other hand Enoch may be feeling fighting fit and knowing the attention that was being shown in him prior to the injury and the type of money he could have been demanding it must be incredibly difficult to commit yourself to a club for 2 years on that kind of money if your confident that your fully over the injury hence I can see why his agent came back with the offer to play for that until January to prove his fitness and earn a better contract at Vale or an even better one at a bigger club but of course we lose the best player to come through our ranks for a long time for next to nothing so I can see why Smurf doesn't fancy that. Personally I hope Smurf just gives that little bit to secure Enoch for the Vale cus the lad not only is lucky enough to have talent but gives 100% and that's rare for a so called flair player plus he's stated he loves it at Vale[B][/b] so I say come on guys reach a compromise and UP THE VALE!

you actually believe he loves it at the vale? how many player's have said before they love where they are, but end up going, IF he comes back from this injury, and turns out to be magnificent and get's a transfer offer from a championship club would he turn it down and say sorry i love it at the vale, i dont think so.

you actually believe he loves it at the vale? how many player's have said before they love where they are, but end up going, IF he comes back from this injury, and turns out to be magnificent and get's a transfer offer from a championship club would he turn it down and say sorry i love it at the vale, i dont think so.

Of course not he'll go where the best money is offered but at least we would get a fee Smurf happy with if he's signed a 2 year deal for us.

Archived