onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

FC United - falling apart?

robf

I agree with Rory, mostly. FC United aren't the same as Hereford or Charlton, clubs with history and a fanbase passed down the generations. They are a club of fans who were happy to take the good times when MUFC was a PLC and the way that allowed them to become one of the biggest in the world, signing some of the best players in the world, but didn't fancy it when that bandwagon stopped rolling, as it was always likely to. Also, let's not forget the vast majority of Utd fans preferred Glazer because he wasn't John Magnier and JP McManus who would have sacked Ferguson, in all likelihood.

You make your bed, you lie in it.

I have to join in and agree with the sentiment you've shown regarding FC United. I felt it was a flawed concept from the outlet for the simple reason that their club had never gone bust, they just weren't very happy with the one they supported being run that way. They attempted to bulldoze their way through the lower leagues, with the mentality that the other clubs should be happy they visited and boosted their coffers. They've found it more difficult than they imagined and the interest and harmony the club had has waned since then. It hasn't helped that Manchester United have continued to have success and whilst the whole Glazer purchase of the club was extremely unsavoury, they've continued to grow as a club and a business. Yes, United isn't the same club as it was in the 90s or even further back, but no club is really is it?

What was up with going and supporting other clubs in the lower leagues? There's dozens of non-league clubs in Greater Manchester that could have been supported instead of setting up another team for them to compete with. They've lasted longer than I thought they would, and I commend them for that. Just certain things **** me off about them. The FA Cup this season for one thing. They entered the FA Cup knowing the rules, why moan about them when things didn't go their way and the game was moved to a Monday night for TV? It just smacked of 'typical United fans' for me, having grown up in a United-centric town I know how that feels. They think they're bigger and better than everyone and everybody should do things their way, otherwise they'll take their ball and go home. FC United seem to have the same mentality, which is sad seen as I thought the whole idea of the club was to be everything Manchester United weren't.

Advert

I have to join in and agree with the sentiment you've shown regarding FC United. I felt it was a flawed concept from the outlet for the simple reason that their club had never gone bust, they just weren't very happy with the one they supported being run that way. They attempted to bulldoze their way through the lower leagues, with the mentality that the other clubs should be happy they visited and boosted their coffers. They've found it more difficult than they imagined and the interest and harmony the club had has waned since then. It hasn't helped that Manchester United have continued to have success and whilst the whole Glazer purchase of the club was extremely unsavoury, they've continued to grow as a club and a business. Yes, United isn't the same club as it was in the 90s or even further back, but no club is really is it?

What was up with going and supporting other clubs in the lower leagues? There's dozens of non-league clubs in Greater Manchester that could have been supported instead of setting up another team for them to compete with. They've lasted longer than I thought they would, and I commend them for that. Just certain things **** me off about them. The FA Cup this season for one thing. They entered the FA Cup knowing the rules, why moan about them when things didn't go their way and the game was moved to a Monday night for TV? It just smacked of 'typical United fans' for me, having grown up in a United-centric town I know how that feels. They think they're bigger and better than everyone and everybody should do things their way, otherwise they'll take their ball and go home. FC United seem to have the same mentality, which is sad seen as I thought the whole idea of the club was to be everything Manchester United weren't.

You can't really call it a flawed concept after a decade.

They don't just measure success in trophies and promotions, they do a whole lot of community work that surely benefits local kids.

I'm not sure they were so patronising in their assumption that other clubs would be happy with the money their visiting fans spent - I don't recall any club being sufficiently upset as to turn them away.

And surely the stance taken on the FA Cup is the very essence of what they are about as compared to most clubs (including our own) who let TV call the shots and the fans can go fxck themselves.

Most clubs do community work, Smithie. Regarding the FA Cup, that's a tricky one. I'm sure we'd all like to tell TV to do one when we have games moved (Walsall away to 12 o clock on the Sunday before Christmas?!?) but they entered the competition knowing that it was a possibility they would be shown on live TV, much like we all did. Going back to my point about Man Utd, supporting a club is the whole package, not just the bits that suit.

You can't really call it a flawed concept after a decade.

They don't just measure success in trophies and promotions, they do a whole lot of community work that surely benefits local kids.

I'm not sure they were so patronising in their assumption that other clubs would be happy with the money their visiting fans spent - I don't recall any club being sufficiently upset as to turn them away.

And surely the stance taken on the FA Cup is the very essence of what they are about as compared to most clubs (including our own) who let TV call the shots and the fans can go fxck themselves.

I'm well aware of their community work. I've worked in a similar sector in the area actually. They do great work.

But I'm still more than happy to call it a flawed concept actually. The original phoenix club, AFC Wimbledon had a reason for setting up. Their club was being taken 60 miles up the road. What reason did United fans actually have for setting their phoenix club up? From what I remember, it was their unhappiness at the Glazer's takeover tactics and the resulting debt that the club itself was put in. Not a great thing, but has it affected the club in any way? Only bad management of the football side has stopped Manchester United being successful the last few years. They've still gone out and been a top club in every way apart from that. I have far more empathy for AFC Wimbledon than I ever will for some disgruntled United fans I'm afraid. I've never really understood why the club was formed as an alternative to Manchester United when there are plenty of other clubs in the area that would surely have loved such passionate fans getting involved in their club.

The FA cup thing, I'm sure there will be plenty who disagree with me regarding the TV and they have a valid point. But it's clear that if you are involved in a high-profile game then you could have your game moved. If you don't like that, don't enter the competition and stay true to your values. Don't enter a competition and then moan about the rules when you get in it! Let's hope they don't get promoted at any point. They'll be kicking off left, right and centre when their games are moved to accomodate BT Sport :D

Yeah but isn't it kind of the same about our fans complaining about games being moved? The FL have their own 'fixtures subject to change' rule don't they, but I've seen god knows how many threads on here where people are complaining about it.

I think some people hate them just because nearly all of their fans are ex-united fans. To be fair though, I'd rather support FC rather than united. Anything not to give the PL more money.

Absolutely agree Tomo. I got to know some of the FC United supporters in the early days and acknowledge them as sincere, devoted followers of their club who were devastated by the Glazer take over which took a highly competitive well funded club into one saddled with debt, and instead of moaning or plotting to destroy, decided to do something about it involving their own time, effort and in some cases money. I was privileged to attend the match that was held at Vale Park in the early days between FC United and Norton when there was no doubt about the genuine devotion of the F C United fans to their new club or the spirit that they showed. For the avoidance of doubt V2001 never were a Supporters Direct club but many others were and have not succeeded - Stockport for instance - while Wimbledon are an outstanding and very pleasing success. Others still have a long way to go, including FC United. I hope their current growing pains are swiftly overcome.

What was up with going and supporting other clubs in the lower leagues? There's dozens of non-league clubs in Greater Manchester that could have been supported instead of setting up another team for them to compete with.

I am guessing that deep down they are still United fans and so could not bring themselves to support another existing club..just my guess

I am guessing that deep down they are still United fans and so could not bring themselves to support another existing club..just my guess

My feeling also. Transferring allegiance to another club would have achieved nothing.

Personally I admire what they have achieved in such a short timespan, from having nothing to owning their own ground, at what is an astronomical cost for a club at their level. It's a pity it all seems to be turning a little sour.

P.S. You'll never play Hemispheres right using that chord :blink:. Try this one (F#7add11... I think..)

6th String: F# (2nd fret)

5th String: C# (4)

4th String: F# (4)

3rd String: A# (3)

2nd String: B (open)

1st String: E (open)

:D

P.S. You'll never play Hemispheres right using that chord :blink:. Try this one (F#7add11... I think..)

6th String: F# (2nd fret)

5th String: C# (4)

4th String: F# (4)

3rd String: A# (3)

2nd String: B (open)

1st String: E (open)

:D

I'll take that onto a separate thread at some point ;)

Maybe, but I would argue FC United is another club. It has no real basis for existing, say like AFC Wimbledon, or the new clubs from Scarborough, Hereford and Darlington because Man U still exist! Just my opinion of course :)

Archived