onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

officals

RayWalkers40yarder

for an ''offside'' decision the ref is not allowed to go to the TMO ( unfortunate but apparently that's the rule )

Yeah, i know. That just seems silly though doesn't it. If the tech is there and it can be used, i just think that it should be. A simple rule rewrite to have every turnover assessed by the TMO would make a huge difference. I do agree with you that Scotland contributed to getting themselves into that situation. I just feel its a pity when great games come down to officials rather than players

Advert

Yeah, i know. That just seems silly though doesn't it. If the tech is there and it can be used, i just think that it should be. A simple rule rewrite to have every turnover assessed by the TMO would make a huge difference. I do agree with you that Scotland contributed to getting themselves into that situation. I just feel its a pity when great games come down to officials rather than players

I agree and the ref running off at the end made it appear worse

It is disappointing though that the reaction from ex players etc was so viscous against the ref - it will be sad if rugby follows the same path as football in this respect with rugby pundits becoming like Mourino and Wenger only seeing what they want to and blaming refs for their own teams faults.

The most refreshing thing about the Rugby World Cup is the lack of talking and arguing with the ref from players even if the think an incorrect decision has been made

I think football could learn from that and introduce 10 min sin binss for abuse towards the ref - would soon stop it

It is disappointing though that the reaction from ex players etc was so viscous against the ref - it will be sad if rugby follows the same path as football in this respect with rugby pundits becoming like Mourino and Wenger only seeing what they want to and blaming refs for their own teams faults.

The most refreshing thing about the Rugby World Cup is the lack of talking and arguing with the ref from players even if the think an incorrect decision has been made

I think football could learn from that and introduce 10 min sin binss for abuse towards the ref - would soon stop it

But then it would be the refs sole decision to send a player to the sin bin.

I fully agree with all of that. The way the official speaks to the players and him being mic-ed up so we can hear is brilliant. Clear and concise instructions that are observed by the players and i even heard players calling the ref 'sir'. The same level of maturity should be present in football but unfortunately i'm not sure some players can speak without effing and jeffing every other word. The point about the sin bin is a good one too. I notice that when a penalty is given in rugby if the player back chats the ref advances the spot of the kick 10 yards and it soon makes the complainer hold his tongue. It's a shame Mourino can't be sin binned as his antics recently have been crazy!

As the FA have made referees professional then they should be held accountable for decisions which cost millions. Perhaps the Referees Association should make a payout in compensation if one of their gifted members make a decision which costs a match.

I don't think we'd ever hear them admit a mistake.

For a slower speed game like rugby the TMO is an asset and why the rules say the video can't be used more extensively baffles me. It could even be used at comparitively low levels of the game given the relatively low cost and availability of the equipment, so using this as a reason not to introduce it (for me) is a non starter.

For football it's a different matter. The game is faster paced and as a result decisions are required to be made quickly. Look at the abuse a ref receives if he delays a decision only by a couple of seconds to see if an advantage accrues, then bringing play back when it doesn't. That's why Hawkeye or the Goal Decision System was brought in without problem - you get an instant readout from the GDS which is then converted into a decision by the ref. Consequently, if a ref makes a bad decision (like failing to send Butland off last night) there's no way it can be recalled, but the ref is then hung out to dry by the video pundits.

To be honest, I love the controversy and don't think anything should change. Every team has decisions that go against them, and some have a bad run of these sometimes, but it all evens out and it happens to everybody. More to talk about and if we got rid of it, there'd be less excuses for managers to give when they lose, and we'd have to listen to even more boring interviews.

I would rather have seen us miss those two penalties rather than the ref pull it back, check a video and decide against giving them at all. It is entertainment, and I personally don't want anything to change.

Having said that, I would love for football players to be as respectful towards referees as rugby players are. Given the levels of income some receive though (especially in the prem), it's never going to happen. A player who is on millions is always going to talk down to a referee on a fraction of his income, because he can get away with it.

REP, Come back to Lorne Street and witness the really poor liners there almost EVERY week!

I know it's a difficult job nowadays but the liners only seem interested in staring directly across the pitch to try and witness offside decisions(which they regularly get wrong any way!). They never look at the play and what players are actually doing to each other, i.e. foul, push, elbow etc etc. I do agree however that the referee on Saturday was more in our favour than theirs!

Realise you are/were a ref etc yourself and perhaps you see matters from that angle, compared to the fervent, biased fans we are!lol.

To be honest in a lot of cases they are acting under that direction from the referees.

I once did a line with Mike Mularky (who went on to much greater things) at Torquay in 2005 or 06 for a guy from Somerset who shall remain nameless who was desperate to get on the PL and basically said all we were to do was to single for offside and follow him for everything else. At the end of the game after the assessor had been in he spent 5 minutes in each teams dressing room where according to one of the Torquay coaches he attempted to belittle Malarky for a decision that didn't favour the team!!!!

I don't think standards are improving but there is on occasion at lot that goes on behind the scenes.

Another incident a few years back, Man Utd. Playing in a champions league quarter or semi final(can't remember which) Utd score a goal with the ball a yard over the line, ref says it didn't cross the line, Utd go out of the competition losing millions of £.

At least that can't happen nowadays.

I was going to agree about refs not being good enough, until I saw this about United being robbed. That ref was doing a good job imo.

Archived