onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Humour Bypasses and The Perpetually Offended

Memphis

The whole point of laughter is its uncontrollable nature... if something is funny people laugh, from gallows humour to slapstick.

If you have to think about it it destroys its purpose, its essence, the spontaneity dies, its stops being funny and becomes simply mildly amusing... a bit like a cat playing with a butterfly.

Some people laugh because others around them laugh, and feel very uncomfortable if they are not part of a tribal mentality.

Experiments have been done where people were told the same jokes when they were alone, a large number so they could not remember them, and then again in a group who had been instructed to laugh at certain types of joke and not others, this second experiment being done a few months later. You can guess the results - a fair number of people are sheep-like and laughed when those with them laughed, even where they had not found the joke funny before whilst watching it alone.

I also disagree with you that all laughter is spontaneous - in particular, I have read parts of some novels or watched something on TV and reflected on it later and found it very funny, might not always have done at the time. Also the reverse can be true even more, particularly with TV programmes - I used to find 'Family Guy' very funny, then went off it and hate it now, the opposite is true of some older comedies that I didn't like much at the time but find very funny now.

Advert

Some people laugh because others around them laugh, and feel very uncomfortable if they are not part of a tribal mentality.

Experiments have been done where people were told the same jokes when they were alone, a large number so they could not remember them, and then again in a group who had been instructed to laugh at certain types of joke and not others, this second experiment being done a few months later. You can guess the results - a fair number of people are sheep-like and laughed when those with them laughed, even where they had not found the joke funny before whilst watching it alone.

I also disagree with you that all laughter is spontaneous - in particular, I have read parts of some novels or watched something on TV and reflected on it later and found it very funny, might not always have done at the time. Also the reverse can be true even more, particularly with TV programmes - I used to find 'Family Guy' very funny, then went off it and hate it now, the opposite is true of some older comedies that I didn't like much at the time but find very funny now.

Of course they do... laughter is infectious... but are they laughing at the jokes or laughing at the people laughing?

If you have to think about a joke after the telling its an indication you missed it.

Things are either funny or not, its dependent on mood, surroundings, company and a host of other factors

Calm down now eh son, calm down, eh, eh, eh?

We are also known for our sarcasm (some say it is the lowest form of wit, but I'm quite short, so thats fine).

I'm guessing the comment re Yates and wearing number 2 was made with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Can't guarantee it, but no need to attack DavidatPreston just for the sake of it.

And Bernard Manning? Really? That fat sexist racist was about as funny as projectile vomiting.

Thousands of funnier people - Ronnie Barker, Lee Mack, Peter Kay, Lee Evans…

But there I go, finding offence where none was intended…..

That fat sexist racist

Your prejudice against overweight persons is Ok though? Let those without any prejudices cast the first aspersion ;)

Not sure I understand your first paragraph, perhaps you didn't notice that it was not me that introduced Bernard Manning into this thread, he never was of any importance to me .

As I have already pointed out you posted re Bernard Manning" I appreciate many of those people laughed along with him but even if only a few were really upset by it, that's reason enough not to do it" and that is what I responded to, I responded to what you posted.

Yes, my meaning being that hopefully either he would have decided himself to remove the damaging material, or perhaps those close to him might persuade him it wasn't a good thing to include such stuff. Maybe a forlorn hope, academic now that we are rid of him.

I don't see that he should..should everyone behave that way? hold back on what they want to say cos some might find it offensive? Do you?

Enjoy following the match - perhaps if Vale get a good result you'll be a bit less grumpy and forget about the insignificant whatshisname greaseball.

Who is grumpy? Not me. He clearly isn't insignificant to you or you wouldn't be still posting about him

As I have already pointed out you posted re Bernard Manning" I appreciate many of those people laughed along with him but even if only a few were really upset by it, that's reason enough not to do it" and that is what I responded to, I responded to what you posted.

Giving up on this, as I don't know what you are trying to say, whether it is internet thing or not I don't know.

I don't see that he should..should everyone behave that way? hold back on what they want to say cos some might find it offensive? Do you?

No, I don't - but responding to someone who has been unpleasant to me is very different to selecting vulnerable groups and minorities who have done nothing to upset him. Also even the most blinkered person should be able to see a big difference between the influence and sudience size of my trivial (almost anonymous due to the nature of the internet) posts on here, which are seen by tiny numbers, and Mannings huge audience who hear the vile stuff, repeat it and buy into it.

Who is grumpy? Not me. He clearly isn't insignificant to you or you wouldn't be still posting about him

You've done this before - I have a right to say what I want, and you provoke responses -I repeat that my original post was abot Adam Yates and Vale who I care about, you get a reply but are of little significane, Manning gets replied about but is someone Inever would have thought about had someone else not introduced the silly bigot into the discussion.

No, I don't - but responding to someone who has been unpleasant to me is very different to selecting vulnerable groups and minorities who have done nothing to upset him.

Bernard Manning wasn't claiming to be upset by anyone. And I've seen you hurl your abuse on here at people whose posts were not aimed at you but who posted things you disagreed with so I don't get the 'unpleasant to me' reference at all

Also even the most blinkered person should be able to see a big difference between the influence and sudience size of my trivial (almost anonymous due to the nature of the internet) posts on here, which are seen by tiny numbers, and Mannings huge audience who hear the vile stuff, repeat it and buy into it.

The principle is exactly the same..are you seriously suggesting that someone can say and do whatever they like as long as the audience to what they do is comparatively small?

Ive just deleted all the german names from my phone... its hans free

saw all the comedy greats at jollees and top rank, the very best of the best in entertainment but the best I saw were the black abbotts,they were the best show group of the time,modern comics leave me cold geo,about as funny as rabies in a guide dog but if you want a good laugh how about python at the Hollywood bowl.

saw all the comedy greats at jollees and top rank, the very best of the best in entertainment but the best I saw were the black abbotts,they were the best show group of the time,modern comics leave me cold geo,about as funny as rabies in a guide dog but if you want a good laugh how about python at the Hollywood bowl.

Never liked python although the dead parrot sketch was amusing

Archived