onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale Squad

PV1993

So there has been talk recently of players not being good enough, or what area's we need to strengthen... So who would keep beyond the current season?

Goalkeepers

Neal (Contract: 2016) - A must keep. Not his greatest game against Barnsley but is probably on for Player of the Season. Verdict - Keep

Johnson (Contract: 2015) - Very promising and hasn't done anything wrong when called open. Would look to get him loaned out for the rest of the season though, preferably to a League 2 side if we can. Verdict - Keep

Boot (Contract: 2015) - Not seen a whole lot of him, but seems to be rated by the coaching staff. However - do we really need 3 Keepers? Especially with Johnson ahead of him in the pecking order. Verdict - Release

Defenders

RB: Yates (Contract: 2015) - A steady full back who really has been 'Mr. Consistant' in his time at Vale. However, he's not getting any younger and we need to improve in this area if we want to progress. Verdict - Release

CB: Veseli (Contract: 2015) - Our best Central Defender, not a lot else to say. Still young so is only going to improve with us. Verdict - Keep

CB: Robertson (Contract: 2015) - Our only big centre half. Not a bad player but for his stature he isn't commanding enough. Verdict - Release

CB: Duffy (Contract: 2016) - Decent back up for Veseli but too similar to play with him. Has another year on his contract so might as well see it out. Verdict - Keep

CB: McGivern (Contract: 2016) - Our only centre half who is comfortable playing on the left hand side, and can also fill in at full back. Would be interesting to see what a partnership of him and Veseli would be like. Verdict - Keep

CB: Smith (Contact: 2015) - Very promising defender, need to keep him although would like to see him loaned out again next season - preferably to someone a bit higher in the leagues than Stafford. Verdict - Keep

LB: Dickinson (Contract: 2016) - Good first season, but poor this season - although recent performances have picked up. He is a good player for this level, but needs competition. Verdict - Keep

Midfielders

CDM: Brown (Contract: 2015) - I would keep him on, although we do need another player in this position, as he can't play every game - as evident by his performances, in which he started well but faded. If he's looking at coaching then couldpossibly spearhead Page's [hopefully] new backroom staff. Verdict - Keep

CM: O'Connor (Contract: 2015) - has a lot of quality, even if he hasn't been the most consistent player this year. Verdict - Keep

CM: Birchall (Contract: 2015) - I include him as a CM as that was his position in the states. Why we have put him back out wide when he has lost all of his pace is beyond me. That said, he might not be good enough in the centre, but I'd at least like to see him given a try before the end of the season. Verdict - Release

CAM: Lines (Contract: 2016) - hasn't set the world on fire this season but again has a lot of quality. He's much better further forward than he is in a holding role, though. Verdict - Keep

CAM: Dodds (Contract: 2015) - For me, he is the most intelligent player we have. He links very well with Pope and has been playing very good since Page came in. For me, you have to keep both Dodds and Lines due to their consistency. One will come in, have a few good games and then when off form the other can come in. Verdict - Keep

WM: Daniel (Contract: 2016) - has been playing well recently, and has impressed me whenever I've seen him (even though when he came in I thought it was going to be Mohammed all over again). Glad he got a start against Barnsley and hope he gets a good run in the side. Verdict - Keep

WM: Marshall (Contract: 2015) - Say what you want about recent form, but his work ethic makes him a rarity - let alone his ability. Verdict - Keep

WM: Moore (Contract: ???) - Not sure when his contract is until. Really tough one this. There is a good player in there, however if he hasn't broke into the team by now then maybe he's not for us. Maybe a loan spell will get him going again. Verdict - Release (on current circumstances)

WM: Lloyd (Contract: 2015) - Get him out on loan - again to a League side if possible. We need to see if he is good enough or not. Was apparently very good when he was on loan last year (I can't remember where). Verdict - Keep (one last year to prove himself).

WM: Mohammed (Contract: 2015) - It's pretty clear that he'll be gone at the end of his contract. Verdict - Release

Strikers

Pope (Contract: 2015) - If we want to progress then we need to keep hold of our better players... Verdict - Keep

Williamson (Contract: 2015) - Has done well in some games and not so well in others. Has scored a few though so probably deserves a new contract. I like him as an impact sub as he can change again but never really puts himself about as much when he starts games (until the second half). Verdict - keep

Nimley (Contract: 2015) - Not sure if he's still here or not. Bit of a strange one if he goes to Bolton - but maybe suggests that he's not in Page's plans. Verdict - Release

N'Guessen (Contract: 2015) - I like him - just not on the wing. Against Sheffield Utd he was terrible in the air on the wing but as soon as the ball came into the box he put in two really good headers. If he stays would like to see him tried upfront. Verdict - Keep, if he stays...

Campion (Contract: ???) - Not sure when his contract is until. What I can't understand is we have paid a fee for him, he's scoring for fun in the reserves - so why has he not had a chance yet? It's not like he's a young lad, he's 24 for crying out loud. Lets get him out on loan to a League club and hopefully we'll see him pushing for a place next season, if he can't get a game this time around. Verdict - Keep

I think it's pretty clear from this to see what area's we need to improve on. We need a couple of full backs, a commanding centre half and one or two defensive midfielders. The younger plyers like Lloyd, Johnson and Smith need to be loaned out (if not already) as well as Andoh etc. No point in them playing reserve football.

Advert

If the chairman really expects top 6, then I think you've got to overhaul 3 of that back 4, replace Birchall ( just a body )Brown (age- )off the paceand maybe even Lines ( ability fine, attitude?) and sign a winger and striker.

Also, I'd prefer an experienced quality coach of Page's choice to come in.

If the chairman really expects top 6, then I think you've got to overhaul 3 of that back 4, replace Birchall ( just a body )Brown (age- )off the paceand maybe even Lines ( ability fine, attitude?) and sign a winger and striker.

an experienced manager with his own team to oversee a mass clearout while we still have league 1 status.

an experienced manager with his own team to oversee a mass clearout while we still have league 1 status.

Ideally, yes. I can't see it happening though. I think Page has had a bit of luck with a couple of results and league position ( until now ) that some will see him as the man. Personally, I too would prefer someone who's been and got into that top 6 in recent years, but I don't believe Smurt will pay that wage.

I'll probably get hammered but out of that list I'd keep:

Neal

Johnson

Boot

Veseli

Yates

Smith

Brown

O'Connor

Dodds

Daniel

Marshall

Pope

Williamson

Campion

I'd look to loan out Boot & Smith. Add another 3 permanent defenders (where possible) and a midfielder.

Supplement the squad with loan players where available and I don't think we'd be any weaker for it. Would save a fortune too and come in under Smurfs budget I'm sure.

Top six totally unrealistic Smurfs in dreamland prices to high to watch mundane midtable crap

Archived