onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Press Conference...

Jacky Noff

To be fair I'm happy with his press conference, slightly contradictory but the overall message is positive. Page being given a chance is fair enough, it probably would have been a few weeks before we got a new manager anyway, at least we get to see what rob page is about and whether he can manage at this level. All makes sense to me, if he does very well in the coming weeks and we see a development of tactics and football as well as youth (as Norman mentions) then he will be the ideal candidate for the job, if he fails in those categories and most of all results that by that time Norman will have been able to weigh up his options and should have a replacement.

It all makes sense only if Page has been given six weeks (which I agree is a reasonable time to run a proper recruitment process) to put things right and then be judged on the outcome. Promising him a position whether or not he succeeds will do nothing to incentivise him and everything to disincentivise future applicants. Keeping on a caretaker manager who's judged to have failed will do nothing to help the current position.

Let's suppose Aspin or Rowett or anyone else who is successful at interview says to Smurf, "Well, if I'm going to succeed, I need to have my own team" only to be told, "Er, sorry, but I've promised the coach's job to Page, so that's a condition of the job". You have to be kidding.

To be fair, it would probably not get that far as potential applicants will think, no chance if I can't bring my own people but either way, it's very worrying.

Advert

Could you not have argued exactly the same when assistant John Rudge took over an appalling John McGrath side? It turned out that Rudge was a very different style of manager. I would argue that Page at least deserves a chance to prove his doubters wrong.

Yes but Rudge took quite a while to establish himself as the manager we all remember.Six weeks is not a long time to be able to prove your self especially in the present circumstances.

Let's suppose Aspin or Rowett or anyone else who is successful at interview says to Smurf, "Well, if I'm going to succeed, I need to have my own team" only to be told, "Er, sorry, but I've promised the coach's job to Page, so that's a condition of the job". You have to be kidding.

Wasn't that one of the things Gannon was told? It perhaps explains his, ahem, not brilliant relationship with Horsfield.

Yes but Rudge took quite a while to establish himself as the manager we all remember.Six weeks is not a long time to be able to prove your self especially in the present circumstances.

I don't think he did. When he took over there was very quickly an upturn in form and results.

When McGrath was in charge it ended with something like eleven defeats and two draws.

Rudge took over and secured four wins and a draw in his first ten games.

Those ten games took place over roughly six weeks (albeit it was the New Year so there were more games than the period Page is in charge for).

It all makes sense only if Page has been given six weeks (which I agree is a reasonable time to run a proper recruitment process) to put things right and then be judged on the outcome. Promising him a position whether or not he succeeds will do nothing to incentivise him and everything to disincentivise future applicants. Keeping on a caretaker manager who's judged to have failed will do nothing to help the current position.

To be fair, it would probably not get that far as potential applicants will think, no chance if I can't bring my own people but either way, it's very worrying.

Personally I cant see a problem with it. Rob Page is well known and well respected. Not sure it will put off many especially if they are stepping up a league or wanting to get back in work.

Plenty of positives to take away from that, the fact Smurf is on the phone and making the big calls means he's taking the hunt for MA's replacement seriously. 41 applications seems crazy to me though, if were that sought after then there must be at least one big name in there or two.

I do think Rob Page will be a decent manager and hopefully be given a fair crack of the whip in the not so distant future, just not a Vale. Sorry Rob I'm just not confident enough to be betting Vales season on you yet.

One really pleasing aspect was that John Rudge will be helping out in the interim.

If we are seriously thinking of bringing European young players into the club Rudgie will have amassed a fair knowledge during his Stoke scouting trips.

Would be nice if we benefited from scouting paid for by Stoke.

One characteristic MA bought to the club over the last 5-6 years was stability, now he's gone I can't help but think we're in for one big Roller Coaster ride. Let's hope the peaks are higher than the troughs.

5-6 years of stability? Don't you remember him going to sheff utd and the mental Jim reign! And recently 6 months of contract uncertainty.

Archived