onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bolton

werstayinup

We do at least agree on this point Rob. Simply because if all of the team are in the box then by hoofing the ball out all you are inviting is for their two defenders to feed the ball back into our box. It's madness to drag everyone back. It just invites more pressure.

Totally agree, see even blind squirrels stumble across nuts sometimes!

Advert

I am amazed that you even consider to make a comparison between JMW and Doddsie! Correct me if I'm wrong but one is supposed to be a winger and the other what I would best describe in old fashioned parlance as an inside forward. So to my simple mind the one with the pace and ability to get to the byeline should be servicing Pope, whilst the better passer and more clinical finisher should surely be played where he would be of most value to the team. This position surely is just behind the main striker and if the manager doesn't think he is good enough to be first choice in this position then leave him on the bench ready to deputise when needed.

Stop me if I'm wrong but Louis Dodds was playing in the same strip of turf that JMW recently vacated, on Wednesday night!! In that respect it's blatantly obvious why I made the comparison.

You are utterly blinkered by your little favourites to the point you chastise the other players, it's a bit weird to be frank.

I am amazed that you even consider to make a comparison between JMW and Doddsie! Correct me if I'm wrong but one is supposed to be a winger and the other what I would best describe in old fashioned parlance as an inside forward. So to my simple mind the one with the pace and ability to get to the byeline should be servicing Pope, whilst the better passer and more clinical finisher should surely be played where he would be of most value to the team. This position surely is just behind the main striker and if the manager doesn't think he is good enough to be first choice in this position then leave him on the bench ready to deputise when needed.

You always conveniently forget that when dodds was interviewed by radio stoke 2 years ago, he said his position was left midfield. And that he has played 95% of his whole career out wide (he played pretty much the season before he came to us at lincoln in that position). SO to say he is being played out of position is wrong. You may think he is better in that position, just as some think JMW is better on a certain wing, but he definitely isn't being played out of position.

Stop me if I'm wrong but Louis Dodds was playing in the same strip of turf that JMW recently vacated, on Wednesday night!! In that respect it's blatantly obvious why I made the comparison.

You are utterly blinkered by your little favourites to the point you chastise the other players, it's a bit weird to be frank.

Yes I know exactly where he was played but my point is that Dodds has been played out of position there on many occasions and he simply isn't a wide player.

To put it in simplified terms we would say that Neal was no good if he was played out of position at centre half. Likewise Dodds shouldn't be judged when he is asked to fill in out of his normal position on the field.

You always conveniently forget that when dodds was interviewed by radio stoke 2 years ago, he said his position was left midfield. And that he has played 95% of his whole career out wide (he played pretty much the season before he came to us at lincoln in that position). SO to say he is being played out of position is wrong. You may think he is better in that position, just as some think JMW is better on a certain wing, but he definitely isn't being played out of position.
You answer your own question when you quote Dodds who said that his best position was ''Left midfield''. Just because he has been selected to play wide right on many occasions doesn't make it his best position.

Proof of which should be supplied by the fact that most of his best performances have been in his favourite inside left position and I put his two games against Rotherham and the game against Fleetwood away in our promotion season.

The simple truth is that some on here don't rate Louis Dodds but I do and that is it end of story.

Yes I know exactly where he was played but my point is that Dodds has been played out of position there on many occasions and he simply isn't a wide player.

To put it in simplified terms we would say that Neal was no good if he was played out of position at centre half. Likewise Dodds shouldn't be judged when he is asked to fill in out of his normal position on the field.

What about the persistent nonsense you spewed about Jenno playing on the wrong wing? By your own standards you judged him when he was played out of position! You also went strangely quiet when he did well.

I very rarely go to 'friendlies' so last night was a bit of a one-off for me. Basically I went because we seem to have so many new players I felt the need to see them before the league proper starts.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game and thought we were good value for at least a draw and I think both sides enjoyed the work-out and both managers must have been reasonably pleased with what they saw.

First half I thought we played well enough and although we created a few good chances I thought it only served to convince us what we already knew and that was that Willo will never be lone striker. I felt the midfield and defence played well and Marshall looks like he will love playing at Vale Park.

Sam had a good game in goal and had no chance with the goal - another poor defensive showing at a set piece. All in all I wasn't too disappointed with our first half and looked forward to a similar second half.

The half time substitutions certainly gave us more impetus I thought and the team looked better balanced in my view. I thought that young Lloyd had a very good game and Yates too. Overall we deserved more from the second half than we got but we were never really troubled and I came away quite pleased and more confident having seen the lads perform.

I suspect that the starting 11 for the Walsall game will be a mixture of the first and second half teams.

One point I would make :

a) Corners........considering first half we seemed to be relying on pace up front, why do we insist on having 11 men in the box when we are defending corners? Sam was catching the ball and looking to quickly offload and yet no-one was forward and available. Why not leave at least 2/3 men forward, thus giving us an early attacking outlet and also ensuring the opposition keep 3/4 men back!

Surely the keeper wants as few bodies in the area as possible ?

I think with him being small(not much use at corners) Marshall would be the ideal one to leave up at corners as he has pace and can keep hold of the ball too

You answer your own question when you quote Dodds who said that his best position was ''Left midfield''. Just because he has been selected to play wide right on many occasions doesn't make it his best position.

Proof of which should be supplied by the fact that most of his best performances have been in his favourite inside left position and I put his two games against Rotherham and the game against Fleetwood away in our promotion season.

The simple truth is that some on here don't rate Louis Dodds but I do and that is it end of story.

So Dodds says his best position is left of Midfield,yet you continue to say it isn't,so you are admitting that even Dodds himself doesn't know his best position???? is this right as I have lost track now

Also just to add to what you say about if we played Neal at CB,well Ryan Boot was played on the wing and didn't do to bad by all accounts

What about the persistent nonsense you spewed about Jenno playing on the wrong wing? By your own standards you judged him when he was played out of position! You also went strangely quiet when he did well.
The difference is that JMW thought he was a right winger. I always banged on or 'spewed' as you so politely put it about JMW because I always believed and still do that he would have made a bigger impact on the team if he had been played more regularly on the left wing. My other gripe with him was that on many occasions last season he often looked uninterested. He did hit some fine goals but during many games he often did very little and was a very frustrating player to watch and no one can deny that one because MA subbed him quite often and it wasn't because he had worn himself out.

So Dodds says his best position is left of Midfield,yet you continue to say it isn't,so you are admitting that even Dodds himself doesn't know his best position???? is this right as I have lost track now

Also just to add to what you say about if we played Neal at CB,well Ryan Boot was played on the wing and didn't do to bad by all accounts

Please read my post again. Then you will see that I said his best performances were when he was in his favoured position. I was using Chris Neal as an analogy and not seriously proposing that he should be played there.

Please read my post again. Then you will see that I said his best performances were when he was in his favoured position. I was using Chris Neal as an analogy and not seriously proposing that he should be played there.

I gathered that me owd fruit

I think people should just move on now from all this and look forward to the new season,i thought JMW would be the hardest player to replace but after the Bolton game I do think we have found the man to replace him.

I gathered that me owd fruit

I think people should just move on now from all this and look forward to the new season,i thought JMW would be the hardest player to replace but after the Bolton game I do think we have found the man to replace him.

We are both agreed on that one.

I'd take JMW in the squad over Dodds all day long- and you embarrassed yourself there quite consistently for some time. Interesting...

As for your "pushed out wide" nonsense, one of your issues with Jeno was he played on the right, aka out of position. You give one the benefit of the doubt, but not the other. Interesting...

I would too... on the wing - but that's the point. Dodds shouldn't be on the wing, he just seems get find himself there for whatever reason.

44 goals for a player that - even when playing well - finds himself out of the team is a good return. Him and Pope compliment each other well, and allow us to play in a system with wingers like Marshall, Moore et al. You only have to look at the 2012/13 season of two halves to see that.

Archived