onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

PL v La Liga

For Us All

Quality which is the bottom line.

The champions league final was contested by two of their teams that didn't even include Barcelona and Seville won the Europa Cup so there are 4 teams of top quality.

The PL is more exciting but English teams now can't defend for toffee.

The best players will always choose la liga first if given the opportunity.

Quality of players or quality of competition. More of the very best quality players play in la Liga but mainly for the strongest two clubs. IMO the EPL has better quality competition and entertainment because there's less of a gap quality wise between the 3-4 top teams and most of the others which leads to better quality and more exciting competition. Feigning injury in La Liga often makes the games unwatchable, it's crept into the EPL over the last 15-20 years but it's not as endemic as in La Liga, yet.

Advert

But..a club like Southampton last season featured numerous very very good players..can the same be sadi of a middling club in la Liga?

No doubt the clubs at the top in la liga are at least as good and probably better than our top clubs but I'd wager (not seriously though, I'm not Skinty) that once you get beyond the top 8 the PL is more competitive

More competitive maybe but not more quality. I've been to watch Almeira a few times with my mate who has a ST over there and I would take their games all day long over Stoke vrs West Ham for instance.

Oh and anyway league 1 is better than both :D

More competitive maybe but not more quality. I've been to watch Almeira a few times with my mate who has a ST over there and I would take their games all day long over Stoke vrs West Ham for instance.

I'd take watching back to back episodes of As Time Goes By over Stoke v West Ham

The rest of La Liga doesn't really have the financial clout to attract enough proper big name players to Spain so I'm assuming Tebas is just referring to Real Madrid and Barcelona hoarding galácticos.

The Premier League attracts a lot of foreign players because the TV money is distributed fairly equitably. In Spain the big two take the lion's share. These were the figures for the 2012/13 season (TV money in € Millions):

la-liga-tv-distribution-600x509.png

In terms of TV money, the very worst paid Premier League team gets paid more than the next best paid team in La Liga after Real Madrid & Barcelona.

I watch La Liga every week. I used to watch Real Madrid because they had a great team with Zidane etc. these days I mostly watch Barcelona firstly because their 2011 side was one of the greatest of all time, but also and more recently to watch Messi.

La Liga is a fundamentally different league than the Premier League in the way the game is played, the pitches, the time of games, rule interpretation, weather etc. I remember the yellow winter ball being introduced in a game where the temperature was 28c. La Liga is dominated now by RM and B (accepting the achievement of AM in 2014) and club TV rights contribute to that. So the Premier League is more competitive but it's top teams are presently weaker.

My point was is and will be that the top teams in Spain are probably better than our top teams but our teams from say top8 down are superior to the same in la Liga

Personally I expect City to make a good go of the CL this coming season as they'll have the squad and tactics to play a game more suited to it

If I go back the last 10 years, La Liga teams have won the UEFA Cup / Europa cup six times. In that same period a Premier League club has won once. It is possible to discuss how seriously each takes it, but that level of dominance in a measurable competition doesn't suggest the Premier League is stronger in depth. I admit I thought your point was correct, but objectively we are not right.

My point was is and will be that the top teams in Spain are probably better than our top teams but our teams from say top8 down are superior to the same in la Liga

Personally I expect City to make a good go of the CL this coming season as they'll have the squad and tactics to play a game more suited to it

Man City have been fined 3 players in the Champions League and if they have above average injuries they may struggle to cope.

If I go back the last 10 years, La Liga teams have won the UEFA Cup / Europa cup six times. In that same period a Premier League club has won once. It is possible to discuss how seriously each takes it, but that level of dominance in a measurable competition doesn't suggest the Premier League is stronger in depth. I admit I thought your point was correct, but objectively we are not right.

I disagree....the point is that lower placed English clubs will give higher placed English clubs a run for their money in the PL. Bottom 8 v top 8 will be competitive. UEFA success is no indication of how good the la Liga bottom 8 is

Man.City and Chelsea will be our best hopes to win the CL but I can't see beyond Real Madrid,Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

Archived