onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

UEFA and FFP

I need help to understand why Manchester City have had all these sanctions put against them like smaller champions league squad and only allowed to spend 49mill on new players and yet Barcelona who were involved in tax avoidance and tapping up young players got their transfer ban suspended.

The FFP rules are a mess and make no sense and it appears that UEFA just hand out what ever punishment they fancy.

If Man City aren't allowed the to buy the best players in the world and can't properly compete in the champions league then what's the point?

Advert

I don't think Barca were done under FFP rules so no link to Man C and their transfer embargo is on hold pending an appeal. City have asccepted their punishment..their choice

City can buy whomever they want but there net spend is limited; it's all about losses not spending so it's up to City to bring the cash in over the next few seasons to reduce their losses...which I belive they will be able to do; they just had to accept losses over the last couple of years whilst playing catchup.

As I understand it, Man City's expenditure is limited over the next three years and their fine is supended so that if they now stick to the rules they will not have to pay the fine. I see no reason why Man City should have an advantage over other clubs who have worked within the FFP rules such as Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc. Man City have accepted the punishment as they stood to have it increased and even to be banned from European competition if they did not accept. If the FA had any guts they would have punished Man City as well, either by suspending them from European competition or a points deduction.

Barcelona appealed against the sanction and are contesting it. One has to say that the junior academy at Barcelona is directly responsible for a lot of the best talent in the world and in 2011 one the greatest teams there has ever been - and I watched all their games that season. In particular they took a 12 year under grown and ill child called Messi, paid his medical expenses which his parents could not afford, and turned him in to a player that has won world player of the year 4 times in succession and holds the record for the most goals ever scored in a year and a season. Apparently under current rules they could not have done that with Messi because his parents were not naturally going to emigrate to Spain. I regard the challenge to Barecelona over the youth academy as outrageous although they may have more questions to answer over the Neymar transfer fee issues.

As for Man City, they are solvent and well backed posing no risk, and needed to spend money on players to move from where they were to where they are. So is no team allowed to develop? Again, I do get a solvency test, I don't get the profit and loss account being the primary factor in that, its the whole balance sheet including guarantees that counts.

As I understand it, Man City's expenditure is limited over the next three years and their fine is supended so that if they now stick to the rules they will not have to pay the fine. I see no reason why Man City should have an advantage over other clubs who have worked within the FFP rules such as Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc. Man City have accepted the punishment as they stood to have it increased and even to be banned from European competition if they did not accept. If the FA had any guts they would have punished Man City as well, either by suspending them from European competition or a points deduction.

Arsenal are the only one of those clubs who have genuinely worked within FFP. Chelsea spend years making horrendous losses when the Russian first arrived and Liverpool have made losses of £50 million pa over the last couple of seasons.

Arsenal are the only one of those clubs who have genuinely worked within FFP. Chelsea spend years making horrendous losses when the Russian first arrived and Liverpool have made losses of £50 million pa over the last couple of seasons.

The Liverpool situation is complicated by the former American owners, but the current owner has a superb track record of getting the Boston Red Sox to win the world series at least twice from memory in recent years after about a 100 years of failure and without having the largest budget. One can see him implementing the model at Liverpool and its working well if he can deepen squad numbers / quality.

Archived