onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Nile Ranger

Jacko51

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

He was damned lucky this time!

Footballer Nile Ranger caught asleep in £60,000 sports car on M4 hard shoulder - but is cleared of being drunk in charge of car

FOOTBALLER Nile Ranger was given his "last chance" today after after being caught asleep in his £60,000 sports car on the hard shoulder of the M4 in south Wales.

Former Newcastle United and England U19 ace Ranger, 23, was found napping in his black Mercedes at 7am.

Ranger was on his way home after a boxing night out in Cardiff with friends when his car crashed into a central reservation.

Newport magistrates heard the troubled star was "drunk" in the driver's seat with the engine running and his keys in the ignition.

The court was told Ranger admitted being the driver before failing the breath test - but he then immediately changed his story to say a friend had driven his sports car.

He was cleared of being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle.

Ranger, dressed in a black jumper and jeans, told the court: "I finished my football match and my friend was having a boxing fight in Cardiff so we all went to the after party.

"My friend was driving up there and back and he wasn't going to drink.

"He drove on the way back to Swindon and next thing I remember I woke up and he was on the phone to a recovery team.

"I had been sleeping in the back and I didn't have a clue how the damage occurred."

The striker was arrested at 7am the morning after playing for Swindon Town - who last week released Ranger after the striker flopped at the club.

Ranger's black Mercedes AMG sports car had crashed into a central reservation, bursting two tyres.

He claimed he only climbed into the driver's seat to get more leg room while they waited for a recovery truck.

He said: "I had an injury on my knee a couple of months ago and I didn't have a lot of space in the back so I swapped seats.

"I then went straight back to sleep. The engine may have been running for heating because it was freezing cold."

Ranger and friends were found sleeping in the smashed sports car on February 2.

The day before he had played for Swindon Town - coming on as a 59th minute substitute in the home game lost 0-1 to Oldham.

Recovery driver William Purnell said Ranger was "so drunk" he didn't wake up when he shouted in his face.

Mr Purnell said: "There was significant damage to the side of the car.

"Both wheels were punctured and all four of the people inside were sleeping. I tried to wake Ranger but he was unresponsive to me shouting.

"He seemed out of it. There was a strong smell of drink in the car."

Police were called to Magor Services on the M4 near Newport where the smashed sports car had been taken by the recovery truck.

Officers found Ranger with two male friends and a woman who became aggressive when the footballer was arrested.

PC Mark Madley said: "He said he admitted to being the driver and that he had driven from Cardiff.

"I then gave a roadside breath test which he failed. He then immediately denied being the driver of the car.

"The situation became volatile and inflamed once Ranger failed his breath test and I arrested him.

"His friends became agitated and the situation was very tense.

"Although Ranger was generally passive, he was the least threatening of the four in fairness."

The former England U19 star was found to have 50 microgrammes of alcohol in his breath. The legal limit is 35.

Ranger, of Gordon Gardens, Swindon, Wiltshire, was charged with being drunk in charge of the sports car.

He walked free from court after being cleared by magistrates in Newport, following a two hour trial.

Chairman of the bench Bob Jones told him: "We find that you had no intention to drive that day.

"You are not guilty and you are free to go."

Speaking after the case, Ranger said: "I am happy and ready to move on with my life and get back on track.

"This is definitely my last chance."

As he walked to a car park to collect his Mercedes he added: "My mum is going to be over the moon."

Quite right, and put Stan Collymore in the same cell.

A Forest mate of mine told me about the wind up merchant caller to his Call Collymore show.

The guy was talking about how useless his club's striker was when he said 'he hit that shot harder than you hit Ulrika'.

Clueless (and shameless) Collymore had no answer and just cut him off.

Archived