onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

England Center Backs

davo80

Advert

Wes Brown is one of the worst players ever to play for England and Jones and Smalling are pretty naff. Dont understand all this fuss about Jones. Jagielka and Cahill leave a lot to be desired but are our best pairing.

Why all this fixation with 2 big men , play one together with a footballer, someone with half a brain. why do we need 2 big men against Spain or Messi ? We are too fixed in our ideas. Beckenbauer spent years at centre back for Germany when there were more big forwards around!

Wes Brown is one of the most talented defenders in the premier league, if his injury's not happened he would have been an England regular, I have a gut feeling he will stay fit this season and make a late bid

...Why all this fixation with 2 big men , play one together with a footballer, someone with half a brain. why do we need 2 big men against Spain or Messi ? We are too fixed in our ideas. Beckenbauer spent years at centre back for Germany when there were more big forwards around!

I agree, the most recent example being Mascherano at Barca.

Would Carrick fit the bill? If not, who else is there?

Not seen much of him but the young lad at Chelsea, Chalobah, could be worth a look in the future?

EDIT: By the way, you say we should put one big man together with a footballer "one with half a brain". There lies the root of the problem ;)

I agree, the most recent example being Mascherano at Barca.

Would Carrick fit the bill? If not, who else is there?

Not seen much of him but the young lad at Chelsea, Chalobah, could be worth a look in the future?

EDIT: By the way, you say we should put one big man together with a footballer "one with half a brain". There lies the root of the problem ;)

Mascherano plays centre back for Barca because

(a) he can't get a place in midfield

(b) they keep the ball that much they don't really need to defend much

Can't really compare how England play with Barcelona ...

He's a quality footballer who can defend

Even in these modern times we still see centre halves as lumbering oafs who must be able to tackle hard, stick their head in where it hurts and hoof the ball clear.

Ironic when we see full backs as speed merchants who can bomb forward and hopefully whip in crosses but have no idea how to defend

(a) he can't get a place in midfield

(b) they keep the ball that much they don't really need to defend much

Can't really compare how England play with Barcelona ...

He has only played there due to Carles Puyol injury's when he is fit Pique and Puyol would be first choice

Be bold..play Gerrard at centre back!!!!!

If he drops any further back in midfield he'll be playing there anyway.:laugh:

My thoughts too! I cannot for the life of me understand why so much talk is being given over to the idea of Gerrard playing in the back four, he (and England) are much better when he's driving forward. IMO one thing's for sure and that is that Lampard is now looking well past his sell-by date. As far as centre backs are concerned, I personally didn't think that Smalling had too bad a game against the Germans, but Jones, I agree, doesn't look up to that role.

My thoughts too! I cannot for the life of me understand why so much talk is being given over to the idea of Gerrard playing in the back four,

Cos he's a quality player who could handle the physical and tactical demands of being in the back four..I cannot see anything about him that suggests he could not be an outstanding central defender

he (and England) are much better when he's driving forward

He can still do that plus we'll have another quality player operating in the middle who can do that as well..it's about having a quality player in the back four who can defend and also contribute so much more..Desailly is nmy model for this (although I've only just thought of him)

Cos he's a quality player who could handle the physical and tactical demands of being in the back four..I cannot see anything about him that suggests he could not be an outstanding central defender

He can still do that plus we'll have another quality player operating in the middle who can do that as well..it's about having a quality player in the back four who can defend and also contribute so much more..Desailly is nmy model for this (although I've only just thought of him)

Perfect example was Cardiff City's Gary 'Pitbull' Medel who is normally a defensive midfielder.He played centre back for Chile and despite being only 5ft 7in,was rarely troubled by England's attacking line up.

Archived