onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Farage the anti-tax avoidance campaigner....

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

The need to declare an interest and withdraw may arise when he becomes involved in a vote that leads to a decision and then an executed action such as a change in policy, a new law or enforcement. That is more than just a Parliamentary debate. Even then, the question arises of representation v pecuniary interest. Many people will have the same situation and concerns as him and therefore he can legitimately represent them. The main concern is involvement in a decision where there is an immediate pecuniary interest and that is not evident here.

Never saw that as the issue. It looks like hypocricy..telling others not to do this sort of thing to curry favour whilst doing so himself

I think the politicians of today need to show leadership on maximising the legitimate collection of tax. The public mood has changed and the Farage affair was a few years ago before the current mood swing.

It is not surprising that people seek to manage tax. With my own relatively modest wealth I am faced with an income tax / national insurance bill which if I did not manage the way I work would reach between 40% and 67%. At those rates one asks if it is worth working / should I go part time / should I retire early. Then of course there is more tax on what is spent (VAT) and a large proportion of the population have assets that will take them in to death duties when they die. Finally the politicians are not just wanting tax off earners they want to deprive the people who have paid in access to the benefits they have paid for. The logic is not that the people who have paid in should keep their bus passes (and example) and those who haven't should lose them, no we are lost in la la land when the people who don't work hard and don't invest in their future get benefits and hard working people are excluded. When someone sends their kids to a private school or pays for private healthcare they are not given credit for reducing the burden on public finances at their own expense they subject instead to criticism.

So people react to all this. A lot of habitual criticism is now falling on people who have taken off shore monetary investments - something I think is quite risky. But looking at this objectively, what these people are doing is exactly the same as buying a property abroad and renting it out, taking a timeshare or even just going on holiday abroad. They are all ways of causing loss of tax revenue in the UK but there is nothing morally wrong with them.

I reckon UKIP only really exist to force the main parties to face the issue of Europe and give people the referendum that is needed so we can decide once and for all if we want to be in or out then move on.

If they manage to do that they will have served their purpose, the rest of their policies dont really bear scrutiny and I dont think it really matters what Farage has or hasnt done in the past. His job is to publicise the party and in that respect hes doing a great job.

A common market was a good idea, the rest of the super state nonsense is.......errrmmm nonsense. IMHO of course, let the voters decide

• 10 months later...

I watched the Andrew Marr interview with David Cameron a couple of weeks ago. He will have difficulty with the protest vote at the moment as will Labour in their heartlands. But Cameron's points were now spot on for me and its enough for me not to vote UKIP.

Archived