onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Goal Line Technology

Tone

I welcome this technology.

It does not change the rules. It does not stop the flow of the game. It is an aid to the referee to ensure he gets one important decision correct all of the time. What's the problem with it?

To me, the problem is that it cannot and will-not be used in all leagues or competitions. Although it may well be seen to be 'important' for say World Cups, European Cups, Premier League etc, what about the lowly clubs who also suffer when goals are not given ?

Say, for instance that Leek Town are playing York City at home in an FA Cup 2nd round match. Leek score a perfectly good goal, but the officials don't see it cross the line and a goal is not given. York take Leek to a replay, win at home and draw Chelsea in the next round.

York receive thousands of pounds which kick-starts their promotion campaign and little Leek are quite simply forgotten, having missed out narrowly on promotion to the Conference - A promotion which would have been a certainty had they received the funds from the Chelsea game.

Fair?........I don't think so.

Advert

Really? So should we use jumpers for goalposts in the next World Cup?

Fifa, UEFA and the FA quite clearly state that for a game of Association Football to take place goalposts and cross bar must be used and statesn the dimensions. When coats are used, it's a kickabout

Additionally it should ideally be that goalposts are used instead of coats and that is what we should aspire to at the lower levels of the game..to bring the standard up to the top levels

It seems to work well in cricket and tennis among other sports. They don't use the same technology lower down, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Why is football unique?

And the pitches some lower pyramid matches are played on wouldn't be acceptable at World Cup/ champions league games. But it's accepted because its lower level, with less money and with less at stake. Maybe the same principle applies.

To me, the problem is that it cannot and will-not be used in all leagues or competitions. Although it may well be seen to be 'important' for say World Cups, European Cups, Premier League etc, what about the lowly clubs who also suffer when goals are not given ?

Say, for instance that Leek Town are playing York City at home in an FA Cup 2nd round match. Leek score a perfectly good goal, but the officials don't see it cross the line and a goal is not given. York take Leek to a replay, win at home and draw Chelsea in the next round.

York receive thousands of pounds which kick-starts their promotion campaign and little Leek are quite simply forgotten, having missed out narrowly on promotion to the Conference - A promotion which would have been a certainty had they received the funds from the Chelsea game.

Fair?........I don't think so.

But that's exactly what happens now! Nothing would change for the lowly clubs so I don't see the issue. If they had a rule where say, to be in the championship you had to have this technology then I think it could work just fine.

It seems to work well in cricket and tennis among other sports. They don't use the same technology lower down, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Why is football unique?

And the pitches some lower pyramid matches are played on wouldn't be acceptable at World Cup/ champions league games. But it's accepted because its lower level, with less money and with less at stake. Maybe the same principle applies.

Exactly, and how often have there been assistant referees behind the goal at Vale Park this season. Also, is there a fourth oficial at all games outside the Prem.

Totally agree. Lampard's "goal" vs Germany was the tipping point for me. None of use a chisel and a piece of slate to write these days.

Exactly..."none of us"..in footballing terms if goal line technology is introduced at the top then 'metaphorically' clubs lower down will still be using "a chisel and a piece of slate"...which can't be right

Exactly..."none of us"..in footballing terms if goal line technology is introduced at the top then 'metaphorically' clubs lower down will still be using "a chisel and a piece of slate"...which can't be right

I disagree. As others have said, we don't have officials behind the goals at Vale Park, do we? I am not sure even if the referees and assistants have communication systems (mikes and earpieces) but they surely don't have such in the lower tiers of football?

My main criticism of Platini was he said that the Champions League could not afford it. That is absolutely not the case when you analyse the huge amounts of money that are generated by international television broadcasts. It is simply the fact that the big clubs don't want to share it, just like the Premier League clubs in England don't want to share their rich pickings with the sport as a whole.

Whether we need goal line technology at all levels is debatable. But when it comes to deciding games in the later stages, on which huge future income rests, I would say so.

Not suggesting it does not work where used..against it in principle..in all sports.

Isn't that a bit Luddite though. New things are often introduced at the top, and then filters down. The technology that the top tier get now may be universal in the pro game in 20 years. If it makes things fairer, even for the higher level for now, and doesn't have a negative impact on the game, then I can't see the problem. The main argument that seems to be brought up is that it would leave us less to argue about the next day if there weren't any more dodgy decisions.

Isn't that a bit Luddite though.

No

New things are often introduced at the top, and then filters down.

In football innovations are normally tried out lower down and then introduced at the higher levels

The technology that the top tier get now may be universal in the pro game in 20 years. If it makes things fairer, even for the higher level for now, and doesn't have a negative impact on the game, then I can't see the problem.

As I have said, it's the principle; the ref and assistants make the decisions. And it's not just about the pro game

The main argument that seems to be brought up is that it would leave us less to argue about the next day if there weren't any more dodgy decisions.

Not my argument

No

In football innovations are normally tried out lower down and then introduced at the higher levels

As I have said, it's the principle; the ref and assistants make the decisions. And it's not just about the pro game

Not my argument

But the person using the technology would also be an assistant, just like the fourth official.

But it won't be at every level. Fourth official makes no decisions

Can't you just accept that I am against it as a matter of principle so why keep putting scenarios to me...you'll get the same answer

The fourth officials make decisions just as the other assistants do. The ref can take their advice or not. Players are often sent off due to advice from the fourth official.

And surely its called debate. Something you of all people would understand.

The fourth officials make decisions just as the other assistants do. The ref can take their advice or not. Players are often sent off due to advice from the fourth official.

And surely its called debate. Something you of all people would understand.

Officially fourth officials do not make any decisions, they carry out admin during the match and can replace an injured official

No issues at all with debate (I of all people understand that) but i can't see why you would keep putting scenarios to me when I am not going to change my mind

Archived