onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Change of formation at home?

For Us All

Having witnessed last night and a couple of recent poor performances the problems stem from the wingers poor form and the lack of service to Pope. Teams are flooding the midfield and stifling the game and any space that the forward players might want, therefore I'd go for a 352 formation. Match the teams in midfield and win the battle, when they have only one up front why bother with 4 defenders?

Neal

Duffy

Purse

McCombe

Birchall

Dodds

Morsy/Burge

Loft

Jones

Pope

Hughes

When the game gets stretched bring the wingers on but a change of tactic at home is needed as any manager worth his salt will stifle Vale in the same way Exeter did last night. Away from home it ain't broke so leave as it is.......

I and most vale fans agree with that, shame that adams dosent

Advert

Having witnessed last night and a couple of recent poor performances the problems stem from the wingers poor form and the lack of service to Pope. Teams are flooding the midfield and stifling the game and any space that the forward players might want, therefore I'd go for a 352 formation. Match the teams in midfield and win the battle, when they have only one up front why bother with 4 defenders?

Neal

Duffy

Purse

McCombe

Birchall

Dodds

Morsy/Burge

Loft

Jones

Pope

Hughes

When the game gets stretched bring the wingers on but a change of tactic at home is needed as any manager worth his salt will stifle Vale in the same way Exeter did last night. Away from home it ain't broke so leave as it is.......

That's not a bad shout TP.

I'd amend that slightly and play 3-4-1-2 with Dodds playing in the hole behind the front two.

. Match the teams in midfield and win the battle, when they have only one up front why bother with 4 defenders?

Because the full backs cover their wide midfielders down the flanks? That leaves 2 centre halves to cover the one forward and any runners. I see your point, but with 3-5-2, if the wing backs were covering the wide areas/wingers, would that not mean 3 centre halves covering one striker? On paper I does allow hughes, dodds and pope to play while also covering the issues with the wide men, but we'd have to get the tactics spot on. The formation needs one centre half who can bring the ball out well with a bit of pace in there, and we lack a right sided player who can play wing back. The problem we had was lack of support from a winger. It will be the same if we have a wing back, just his defensive abilities on his own will be weaker. It could be an excellent formation, but could also be countered and be a disaster.

Neal

Duffy, Chilvers, Purse, Jones

Birchall, Morsy, Dodds, Burge, Loft

Pope

4-5-1 with Dodds pushing on to play 'in the hole'

Hughes, Vincent, JMW all on the bench.

I'd certainly play with 5 in the middle as teams playing against us have sussed us out.

Players such as JMW and Hughes could make an impact if coming on later in the game.

I'd give Vincent a bit of a break as even though the scored a brace a few weeks back he's been disappointing and he also doesn't track back enough when required.

Archived