onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Thumb up thumbs down

Wereskintandweknowweare

Advert

What are your thoughts on the new post rating thumbs up thumbs down.

And should we have a red down thumb for dislike and a green thumbs up for like BUT have a third icon with two fingers on for comments from joke and Crewe fans ?

Can you see who clicked red or green?

Can't see any benefits from it. Would be interested to hear from Rob the reason why he introduced it. People give their opinions on matters, is it a way for others to judge them?

If I'm not mistaken there have been a number of requests from Ovfers' to include this option and Rob has responded accordingly. Having said that Rob will be keeping an eye on it re its success or otherwise.

Fair enough, its Robs site, a great one at that and he can do what he likes with it. Was wondering what had prompted it.

It just seems to me that its a cheap way for someone to disagree with someone elses post in complete anonymity without having to post their own view and justification. After all a forum is all about debate.

Fair enough, its Robs site, a great one at that and he can do what he likes with it. Was wondering what had prompted it.

It just seems to me that its a cheap way for someone to disagree with someone elses post in complete anonymity without having to post their own view and justification. After all a forum is all about debate.

I suppose it fits in with what people use in social media. I would say the thumbs up button would be used more than thumbs down. If you don't agree with someone, you will probably argue against it. However, sometimes someone puts into words exactly what you think, and it saves just posting 'I agree'.

Well, someone has given your post the thumbs down and its not me. We all have verbal sparring with others. Some take it personally and will give you a thumbs down for every post you make for the rest of their life.

For these purposes, it would be useful for whoever gave Andy the Thumbs down a reason as to why, to show that its not just someone with a grudge against him. I can't see anything in his post to justify a thumbs down and this is my point really, what does it add?

Well, someone has given your post the thumbs down and its not me. We all have verbal sparring with others. Some take it personally and will give you a thumbs down for every post you make for the rest of their life.

For these purposes, it would be useful for whoever gave Andy the Thumbs down a reason as to why, to show that its not just someone with a grudge against him. I can't see anything in his post to justify a thumbs down and this is my point really, what does it add?

Haha I asked for that!

I didn't realise this thread were here till I chanced on it now.

The main reasons for the thumbs voting are as follows:

1. Quite a few users asked for them

2. They were a popular feature on a previous forum version

3. They are purely voluntary - you don't have to use them / ignore them if you don't like them

4. You won't be able to see who voted for/against your post

I do tend to think that change tends to be initially greeted with suspicion but Facebook have been operating a "Like" system on their pages for years and they are the biggest social media site in the world. Such a "popularity contest" hasn't done them much harm.

In answer to a couple of specific points:

1. "It's not a popularity competition, why vote on people's opinions?"

See my comment about Facebook above. A forum is all about opinions and I do feel that these will give an indication as to how the majority of users think. For instance, if someone posts "Micky Adams should be sacked after that performance" and gets a score of -50 on his post, it's a fair indication that the majority disagree.

2. "It just seems to me that its a cheap way for someone to disagree with someone elses post in complete anonymity without having to post their own view and justification. After all a forum is all about debate."

Surely people will be disagreeing with your posts in complete anonymity anyway? By reading your posts, deciding on whether you are right/wrong and not replying.

This just records approval/disapproval.

As a busy forum with 8,000 registered users, I would think anyone posting on here has to accept that their views are going to dissected by a large number of people and not every user is going to agree with them. That said thumbs up/down isn't an indication of a right or wrong post, just an indication of what is popular and what is not.

This is a trial at the moment. More than anything else I am checking server speed and making sure the "thumbs" don't affect it badly. That said, I really haven't seen/read more than half a dozen people (out of that userbase of 8,000) who don't like them.

Archived