onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brian Horton

Rudge's Flat Cap

Advert

i spoke to grew over breakfast he said "no comment"

I'm a bit concerned about your relationship with Grew with all these breakfasts. Mind you he is a fine communicator and can charm the birds from the trees. Just didn't realise he dabbled both ways, but they say a lot of famous figures did. Da Vinci, Hitler...

I recall he replaced Bill Bell as the object of blame. "Bell Out" became "Horton Out". Where would us Vale fans be without an " ___ Out"? Oh wait...

Okay, I won't disappoint you Rudge's Flat Cap Out.:razz:

Having met Horton, I found him approachable, and talked a good game, but the team did finish in successively worse league positions. It's hard to say where we would have finished in 2003-04 if he'd stayed, but Foyle was the cheaper option, just like Sinnott and Glover were.

I'm a bit concerned about your relationship with Grew with all these breakfasts. Mind you he is a fine communicator and can charm the birds from the trees. Just didn't realise he dabbled both ways' date=' but they say a lot of famous figures did. Da Vinci, Hitler...[/quote']

Why are you concerned ? Do you suffer from homophobia as well as racism ?

At the time, all the Vale fans I knew (including myself) were pretty pleased that Horton hadn't been given a new contract. He suffered in comparison with Rudgie; he wasn't as good a manager, as likeable a man or as shrewd in the transfer market. Additionally, he bore the brunt of a lot of the suspicion that the fans had for W T Bell.

Unfair to compare anyone with Rudgie

Neil Aspin's been doing okay at Halifax.

Joined them in the 09/10 season, gained them promotion in his 1st season, losing only 2 league games.

10/11 season, promotion again losing only 4 league games all season.

Last season 3rd, lost to Gainsborough Trinity in the playoffs. Also reached the F.A cup 1st round, losing to Charlton.

Ian Bogie at Gateshead aswell, of course.

We might end up with 1 of them pair if Adams decides he's had enough & we have to go for a cheap option? :razz::unsure:

Thanks for your comments Brian, I worked for you for a year or two and I can honestly say I injoyed every minute,I use to love listen to your experiences in football, some funny others not so funny, we had some great times, I'm only sorry that things are not so great now,I wonder what going to happen to our club,oh for the good old times back again gaffer.

Thrown his backing behind Adams and the club in these terbalent times

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Port-Vale-Horton-backs-Adams-lead-Vale-success/story-16688482-detail/story.html

A true gentleman and a great Manager for the club, assembling a quality team in the 2000/2001 season. I recall him being familiarly hounded out by fans.

Thanks Brian, hindsight's a funny old thing, how I wish you'd have stayed!

Chatted to Brian a few times when I was involved with his reserve team games when he was at Preston.

He said he loved the place, just couldn't work with the board at the time and their constant lies sadly.

Archived