onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Baylee Dipepa

19 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

It’s simply not realistic for us to take that gamble. Clubs like them can afford to give up decent sums on potential and who knows how Baylee ultimately turns out as a player. Could injury derail him or whatever? It’s not a position we are in. Looking at the article from Nixon United are keen to make it happen as I daresay the likes of Arsenal will no doubt start looking too so am pretty certain any deal would be beneficial to us too. Maybe they throw in a full season of Dan Gore on loan and see what he can really do as well to sweeten it for us.

Dan Gore ?

Why would we possibly want him ?

A disastrous loan. Whilst I realise he's been injured he was out of his depth v Pompey. 

And I've had my fill of injured players and sicknotes these last few seasons. 

A big no thanks to him rocking up in August having not played for 6 months. 

• Like 4

Advert

4 minutes ago, jeffers said:

That ex-Sjoke superstar Connor Taylor couldn’t get near him. How the mighty have fallen, next stop Kidsgrove for you me old fruit.

He's certainly gone downhill hasn't he. Thought in their promotion side he looked a player.

At a higher level he looks clumsy and awkward. Was really poor on Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Dan Gore ?

Why would we possibly want him ?

A disastrous loan. Whilst I realise he's been injured he was out of his depth v Pompey. 

And I've had my fill of injured players and sicknotes these last few seasons. 

The injury fair enough but are you seriously judging a players ability off approx 50 minutes of action when he’d barely trained with the squad and was thrown in alongside Weir against the best in the league? Thats a little unreasonable. It was just a hypothetical anyway as it was the first name that came to mind, could be anyone else they might offer first dibs on.

4 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

The injury fair enough but are you seriously judging a players ability off approx 50 minutes of action when he’d barely trained with the squad and was thrown in alongside Weir against the best in the league? Thats a little unreasonable. It was just a hypothetical anyway as it was the first name that came to mind, could be anyone else they might offer first dibs on.

Maybe I'm harsh due to how good Arblaster was. 

He looked a sideways plodder that day considering all the hype. Good job Pompey were way off the ball that day. 

If we go down which is still odds on we won't be loaning many budding Premier league starlets . Be too low down the chain sadly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

Let’s hope he breaks through (the opposition defence) and scores today and the next 3 or 4 games to keep us up 😁

What I liked about his goal on Friday was that he didn’t seem rushed at any point and it was an excellent/clever finish - wrong footing the keeper (did he give him the’ eye’) as well as the 2 or 3 defenders in the build up. I realise the BR defence weren’t exactly ‘at it’ on Friday but obviously the England set-up saw he had potential and if Baylee replicates that calmness in front of goal (and elsewhere on the pitch) on a regular basis then it’s no surprise that top clubs in England and Europe will be interested.

I don’t necessarily see it as a problem him/us being a ‘marked man’ and targeted by defenders/defensive midfielders.  Firstly they’ve got to be good enough to get close to him, secondly if teams concentrate on him that leaves space for others (similar to the Uche effect) and third he’s already come up against big ugly defenders throughout the season and seemed to have progressively dealt with the challenges (problems) put before him. No doubt there will be some defenders good enough to have him ‘in their pockets’ during a game but sometimes I think we give too much credit to how good the opposition teams in this league are (I realise we’re 4th bottom but mean not every team will have defenders good enough to cope with talented forwards).

I think if he is to be a goal scorer - 25 a season level - then he has to be in the box and not dribbling from 40 yards out. So is he a striker like Ellis Harrison or a forward like James Wilson? I think he is pretty big and filled out for his age.  My point with that is he does not look phased by the men's game.

As an aside I thought Gore looked very phased out on his debut once the opponents decided he wasn't going to get time on the ball. There is doubt in my mind that Gore can make it as a top level player which is what he seeks. Arblaster on the other hand is doing well in a struggling team in the Premier League now. 

I think Dipepa will benefit from being under better management and coaching staff Port Vale has now. He surely must benefit from being with England level coaching as well.

Edited by Warren

7 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

He looked a sideways plodder that day considering all the hype. Good job Pompey were way off the ball that day. 

If we go down which is still odds on we won't be loaning many budding Premier league starlets . Be too low down the chain sadly. 

I was alarmed by what I saw. We had lost two young players on loan who were good enough to help get us to a cup quarter final and hold our own in L1. But then we expect the two replacements to come in and be at the same level. They really were not, and suddenly with senior players leaving and injured we looked massively vulnerable in midfield. 

5 minutes ago, Warren said:

I think if he is to be a goal scorer - 25 a season level - then he has to be in the box and not dribbling from 40 yards out. So is he a striker like Ellis Harrison or a forward like James Wilson? I think he is pretty big and filled out for his age.  My point with that is he does not look phased by the men's game.

As an aside I thought Gore looked very phased out on his debut once the opponents decided he wasn't going to get time on the ball. There is doubt in my mind that Gore can make it as a top level player which is what he seeks. Arblaster on the other hand is doing well in a struggling team in the Premier League now. 

I think Dipepa will benefit from being under better management and coaching staff Port Vale has now. He surely must benefit from being with England level coaching as well.

In fairness Warren his first Vale goal v Shrewsbury was from 6 inches. Fridays goal was an exception not the rule. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

He did that day but I think Arblaster is just an outlier in terms of loans for us. Caught a bit of his game v Fulham the other day and he looked a good premier league footballer. Devine by comparison on the other hand when he first got here not to say he was bad but I certainly didn’t see generational talent like Tottenham fans said. It took time to get going and then he was good (incidentally Plymouth fans are far from sold on him). We’ll never know now unfortunately with Gore if he’d have done similar.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

Sell Baylee for £5m and loan him back for next season. Simples. 

By the end of this season, if he gets games, he'll be time served in L1 and needing to move up to the Championship. The Sun expects him to be starting for Man Utd in the Premier League - hopefully after PV has been given a big wedge of readies. 

But the point is well made. These young players may not be stayers like Smith. Just ways to fund the club. 

Just now, Warren said:

By the end of this season, if he gets games, he'll be time served in L1 and needing to move up to the Championship. The Sun expects him to be starting for Man Utd in the Premier League - hopefully after PV has been given a big wedge of readies. 

But the point is well made. These young players may not be stayers like Smith. Just ways to fund the club. 

Whilst it's some achievement to play the amount of games that Smith has I'm sure he was touted for Norwich. Not sure if that was on of their brief Premier league excursions or at Championship level. Ultimately they didn't come a knocking or we'd of cashed in. 

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Whilst it's some achievement to play the amount of games that Smith has I'm sure he was touted for Norwich. Not sure if that was on of their brief Premier league excursions or at Championship level. Ultimately they didn't come a knocking or we'd of cashed in. 

Way before I recall Fulham had looked at Joe Anyon even taking him on trial iirc. If clubs are willing to offer decent money for these players we simply have to take it, you just never know how these players will turn out. Even those touted as wonder kids from an early age like Freddy Adu back in the day there’s no guarantee they make it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

I think we should.  If he develops the way I suspect he can, his transfer value and potential earnings will only rise! 

The risk/reward just isn't there for us. If he is currently rated as a top prospect at his age group, then if he stays next year and has a good, even great season, he is still rated a top prospect who has done well at L1 level, I don't think it moves the needle much in terms of transfer fee. If he has a poor season or an injury hit season he is no longer a top prospect & his value plummets.

It is all academic if PL clubs come in for him this summer. It's modern football, young prospects at PL clubs are paid 3-4x what our top earners get & on long term contracts, we simply won't be able to compete with what he is offered elsewhere, we just need to get the best deal possible for the club & it was great work by the club in that regard to tie him down to a contract a couple of months ago.