onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Portsmouth (H) match thread - 27th Jan

robf

18 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

You’re not wrong in what you say on Jones Warren but I would just counter that by saying name me a Vale defender who hasn’t made multiple similar bone-headed mistakes this season? They’ve all been culpable at some point from Smith on down so it’s hard for me to have that as a concern with Jones specifically.

I think more than anything we need to get a settled unit back there. If can get that then as a former defender himself that should be the easiest part of Crosby’s job to organise.

Yes exactly, I like Jones, but don't want to throw him to the wolves first game back. What I am really hoping is that Williams arrival will significantly improve our defensive heading. If we are powerful in the air at the back, the defence becomes about attacking the ball and not so much prioritising marking the opponents at corners and freekicks. 

I don't want to write off Smith either. I want him to improve and he's committed to doing that. 

Advert

53 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

You’re not wrong in what you say on Jones Warren but I would just counter that by saying name me a Vale defender who hasn’t made multiple similar bone-headed mistakes this season? They’ve all been culpable at some point from Smith on down so it’s hard for me to have that as a concern with Jones specifically.

I think more than anything we need to get a settled unit back there. If can get that then as a former defender himself that should be the easiest part of Crosby’s job to organise.

Agreed. Yak has looked very poor since his injury. Jones is fit, training & ready according to the gaffer. I'd start him myself on the left side with smudge in the middle & williams alongside him. Smith was unbelievable whenever he's had a colossal next to him like legge, or Jesse smith Williams 🤔 

5 hours ago, Warren said:

I'm concerned that Crosby starts all the new players on the bench. Given the players that have gone back that would mean he chooses to play a weaker team than we had before whilst leaving a stack of ability sat on the side line. Then he'll bring them on when we are 2-0 down. Crosby doesn't see the game the way I do and he mightily frustrates me. But maybe he's been given 'advice' before Christmas. 

he really frustrates me and lan players won’t do anything to save us against a top of the league side that rarely loses and even Darrell Clarke said they were lucky to get a result and without ozo and Garrity a 17 year old who has only played for his under 21 side won’t be helping us but at least Massey had a good game recently and Ikpaezo scored and Smith doesn’t look the player he once was but in fairness Crosby hasn’t got a clue what he is doing and his management style has worn thin on me sadly 

31 minutes ago, Raveninblack said:

he really frustrates me and lan players won’t do anything to save us against a top of the league side that rarely loses and even Darrell Clarke said they were lucky to get a result and without ozo and Garrity a 17 year old who has only played for his under 21 side won’t be helping us but at least Massey had a good game recently and Ikpaezo scored and Smith doesn’t look the player he once was but in fairness Crosby hasn’t got a clue what he is doing and his management style has worn thin on me sadly 

Portsmouth's form recently is won, lost, lost, won, drawn, lost. Away from home they won at Fleetwood 1-0, lost at Cheltenham 2-1, drew at Exeter 0-0 and lost at Bristol Rovers 1-0. There is reason to be positive playing them on our pitch. I want our defence to be better. If it improves I come to the match hopeful the rest of the team can stand toe to toe and get a result. 

48 minutes ago, Raveninblack said:

Gore is 19. 

Wiki says: 

"Gore joined the Manchester United academy in 2018, having previously been at Burnley from the age of eight.[5] He played as part of the 2022 FA Youth Cup winning Manchester United side. He was voted the Manchester United reserve team Player of the Year for the 2022–23 season.[6] He was reported to have had a confrontation with Anthony Martial after making an overexhuberant tackle during training".

I'm.a great believer in over the two games you play the scores even themselves out .

So should be 3 up by half time sat .

Really enjoyed our Fratton park display first half .

I like Portsmouth deserve be in a higher league with Derby and Bolton but there in our league for a reason 

It's 11 v 11 anything can occur .

Just hope the Vale ends are selling well .

No reason for them not to be .

Top of the league at home 

No home game since Charlton a game where we had 29 goal attempts v Barnsley 21 etc etc score 3 in most home games deservedly so aswell in my opinion 3 v Stevenage 3 v Wigan 3 v Blackpool 3 v Charlton 3 v Barnsley (1 wrongly disallowed )

What's there to not go and encourage .

BE THERE Valiants and lers hope if Man Utd have no game some of there support come along and encourage young Gore and the Vale 

2 hours ago, Raveninblack said:

who's the 17 year old? 🙄

4 hours ago, Vtid said:

Agreed. Yak has looked very poor since his injury. Jones is fit, training & ready according to the gaffer. I'd start him myself on the left side with smudge in the middle & williams alongside him. Smith was unbelievable whenever he's had a colossal next to him like legge, or Jesse smith Williams 🤔 

Jones is a waste of a wage , imo 

Agree with a back three of 

Williams Smudge & Debrah

That's a good shout , VTD

18 minutes ago, Nippy Naylor said:

Jones is a waste of a wage , imo 

Agree with a back three of 

Williams Smudge & Debrah

That's a good shout , VTD

He's more than a capable squad player Jones for me. He was fantastic when he played in the middle for a while, but his injury record this season & some of last has been awful 

6 minutes ago, Vtid said:

He's more than a capable squad player Jones for me. He was fantastic when he played in the middle for a while, but his injury record this season & some of last has been awful 

Not just this and some of last season, it's the 3 seasons he has been with us now, played 61 games in 3 years, Wilson who we have often said how injury prone he is has played 93 games in the same time.  I can't believe we have him for another 18 months.

23 hours ago, Vtid said:

He isn't 17 

Gore is 19. He's come to Port Vale to play. Given what he has achieved at reserve and youth team levels and his caps for England teams, I can't believe he hasn't started a decent number of games for Man Utd. Port Vale's job is to get him going in the right direction, even if he's on loan from a big rotting fish lying belly up on the beach (in big club terms). 

12 hours ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

They normally do, I'd imagine it's something along the lines of be in the matchday squad at least if fit.

Some may have agreements they have to start although I'd imagine that's dangerous if they are out of form or turn out not very good, clearly Thomas didn't with us as sadly he warmed the bench most of his time at VP.

You're right - contractual obligations to play loanees would be dangerous...and a little stupid! For the very reasons you mentioned. But, a gentleman's agreement to be in the squad would be much more palatable, or maybe featuring in perhaps 1 game in 3? Just not written into a contract?

10 hours ago, Warren said:

For me Jones can't come in against the league leaders. He hasn't played for months. He makes bad mistakes when he hasn't had a run of games. 

My preferred back three if all fit is Debrah, Williams and Lowe. If Debrah is not fit then Williams, Lowe, Lacovitti. It's close between Lowe and Lacovitti, but Lowe has a career that's taken him to higher echelons. Smith on the bench.

Not sure what to do with Jones. He plays left side and that's valuable. Need to get him involved again, but not starting against the league leaders. 

I think the defence is key here. I think we can win this game if the defence plays well. We are good enough in midfield and up front. 

Who's this Lacovitti???

Archived